ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Please explain..

Just had my first MOT and have had one advisory because the "Nearside inner front (steering arm) ball joint has slight play"

Firstly, could anyone say what this is, whether its just wear and tear etc, and also will it affect my drive eventually, does it need to be fixed?

thanks for any help

ph1 black 172
its the bit from the steering rack end to the passenger side hub. they are usually cheap to buy fitting is alittle expensive due to the tracking has to be done once fitted.

its wear and tear and alot of cars do it. worse if lowered etc.

But in my eyes its your steering so i would either do it myself and have the tracking done or just get a garage to sort it.

ph1 black 172
so probably worth doing it when i lower the car, then get tracking done?

yeah, its not a hard job... usually the track rod end is threaded which locks together with another single nut.

just undo them from each other trying to leave the single nut in the same place, unscrew the track rod end and screw on the new one and it should be in the same (ish) place as you left the locking nut in place on removal.

2490367370_88ef76bd67.gif

the track rod it the bit with the rubber boot on( if you look at the steering arm (long bar) you will see the locking nut i mentioned)

then go get your tracking done to get it spot on right.

Megane dci 130
If it was the track rod end it would say track rod end.

The piece they are talking about is the link from the trackrod end to the rack. In renault terms its called a Co axial joint. :)

ph1 black 172
If it was the track rod end it would say track rod end.

The piece they are talking about is the link from the trackrod end to the rack. In renault terms its called a Co axial joint. :)

well it doesnt say that either. so we could both be right. its that area anyway.

Clio Williams & 182
Defo only get tracking done once everything has been done and car lowered if that's your route.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
The track rods can wear as well. Replaced mine 18 months ago as there was play in the steering before. Not too expensive and can be purchased from local motor factors

Bux

Golf GTD
It wont be the Track rod end as it would say.
Mine failed last week for 'Nearside Track Road End Ball Joint has excessive play'

Id go with the coaxial joint

M

mini-valver

Inner rack end. Go buy a track rod, then wheel off, track rod end off of the hub, remove the steering rack gaitor then get a pair of stilsons (cant remember wether they have flats in for a spanner on the mk2) and undo the whole rod from the steering rack. Fit new track rod, re-use old track rod end or put a new one on if you want. Tracking, done.

Its super common on ALL cars so I wouldn't worry about it being something you need to replace immediately.