ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

please help with my 16v cutting out problem!

clio 182 FF + chipped
hi, everytime i stop , change gear or the revs drop my clio 16v stalls. this only happens when the car is warm. i was told to change the coolant temp sensor which i did and thought it had cured the car but it hasnt.Any other ideas? Could it be the inlet air sensor? i dont know what this does thou. I have changed dizzy cap, rotor arm, iscv, coolant temp sensor. this is really being to get on my nerves now coz i cant drive it for more than 5 mins before it starts cutting out!

When it stalls you hear a hissing noise as the air filter takes its last breath before it dies on me!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
this happens to my 1.2 sometimes....im sure its just dirty fuel filter/pump thats the problem. i can tell when its coming on, when the cars at idle, the revs go down really low then back up every second...

ah yeah, that's an idea... Change the fuel filter perhaps and see if it helps - only about £8 for the part I think? Not sure how much a fuel pump would be if it was that though :S

clio 182 FF + chipped
ok thanks i will change the fuel filter as sometimes when im going over 50mph and ive got my window open i can smell petrol which is pretty worrying!

clio 182 FF + chipped
changed fuel filter ...........no luck still the same.:(
so now i have changed-

fuel filter
coolant temp sensor
iscv
sparks
rotor arm
dizzy cap

still no better. anymore suggestions?:(

1.8 Civic EX
try shell...seriously I'm not joking..., I ran mine on BP Ultimate and all it did was cut out and run real lumpy, I changed everything you have mentioned and it made no difference, then I changed to Shell Optimax......perfect....never stalled since....

Try resetting the ECU, plug the battery for an hour or so.

Also check the earths, in particular the barided earth from teh end of the box to the chassis

clio 182 FF + chipped
Rhino16v said:
try shell...seriously I'm not joking..., I ran mine on BP Ultimate and all it did was cut out and run real lumpy, I changed everything you have mentioned and it made no difference, then I changed to Shell Optimax......perfect....never stalled since....

seriously? your petorl made a difference? well i will try it. i will try anything to stop the stalling!

clio 182 FF + chipped
coil im gonna change this week. map sensor i want to change but how much are they i imagine them to be loads.

Skoda Fabia vRS
follow the pipe from the map sensor to the inlet manifold, check that this has no splits an is connected at both ends

also check that the hoses on the ISCV are ok and that the connector on the top of it is connected properly

1.8 Civic EX
diggs04 said:
seriously? your petorl made a difference? well i will try it. i will try anything to stop the stalling!

yup, i didn't believe it at first, all the omeny i had spent doing exactly what your going through and all I had to do was change petrol, I even tried those Power Boost things, the ones where you take off the air filter and spray it in whilst holding the revs at about 2k eve tried fuel sediment stuff or what ever it is that you poor in the petrol tank....

Clio Trophy 463
Hi mate,

My old RT kept doing that, mostly when u put the clutch down and go onto roundabouts!! lol. I changed the fuel filter and ran redex through it for about a week and it stopped.

Hope this helps
Dan

clio 182 FF + chipped
yeap changed the correct cts the one with the white plug that screws in the side of engine where the coolant is right? i didnt change the one thats tells the dash the temp.

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
Lunner said:
Try resetting the ECU, plug the battery for an hour or so.

When I took mine to the ranault dealer under warranty they couldnt find a fault but reset the ECU and it fixed the problem for about 6 months - its now doing it again and I had no idea you could reset the ECU like this.

Does this method work on a 1.2 16V D4F Engine?