ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plex

Who else uses this?
Been using a while, Only just found out that i can access my media outside of the network. Works out good when the PC is on base, when i go home i can still access my films. Even use it on the tablet over 4G.

Would a raspberry pi be able to access it the same while hooked up to a TV? Keep meaning to buy one.

I use it for my Apple TV 3 (hijacks the trailer app). Best thing I've used for streaming and media organisation.

I was paying the ~£5 a month for the premium(?) pass for Xbox One streaming, but preferred the ATV as it doesn't need to transcode anything.

The browser remote access is brilliant too, as you say.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I use it, have done for about 2 years. It's fantastic. I have the app on my iPhone and iPad, and Samsung Smart TV, i've also got my collection shared with friends, family and colleagues so they can watch my films. I've not found the need to pay for the premium version yet, but do keep thinking about it.

RE the Raspberry Pi, try taking a look here http://www.rasplex.com/ this software for the Raspberry Pi looks identical to the version on my TV.

What TV do you have? Samsung and LG (I think) have apps for their smart TV's.

I have a small tv back home, don't even known the brand. Not even hooked up to an aerial. I use my chromecast on the tv's without smart. The main tv which is LG is missing a app for plex but will pick up the server if it's on the same network. Just wanting the raspberry pi to act as a server but get the content from my pc.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I've used an iPhone app in the past for WOL, that took some setting up but once done it works great. To be honest I just leave my PC running these days, it sits in the garage on 24/7.

I have a small tv back home, don't even known the brand. Not even hooked up to an aerial. I use my chromecast on the tv's without smart. The main tv which is LG is missing a app for plex but will pick up the server if it's on the same network. Just wanting the raspberry pi to act as a server but get the content from my pc.

The Raspberry pi will work as a Plex client, not server. But that's fine as you have the server already (your PC) all you need is a client to access the content, which is exactly what the raspberry pi will do.

I can't see why you want/need the Rasp pi if you are using Chromecast anyway? other than the nice interface it's going to do the same thing.

Its mainly because I'm trying to justify getting a pi ;) the chromecast I take home with me and change the wifi network etc so would like to get another anyway.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Its mainly because I'm trying to justify getting a pi :wink: the chromecast I take home with me and change the wifi network etc so would like to get another anyway.

Ahh, that makes sense now. I thought you were expecting it to do something different than the chromecast, but you're not.

Just get a Pi bought! lol