ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Points for driving "without" insurance

Mk2 1.2 16v
I'm currently insured fully comp on my 1.2 clio, and with Quinn was always allowed to drive my dads car third party..

So i was washing my dads car the other day and drove into my front street to turn it around and go back into my backlane to rinse as the hose didnt reach :clown:...

As luck would have it the police stopped me as i pulled into my street because i "pulled away oddly from my backlane" ..:dead:

They asked if i had insurance and i said yes.. third party, turns out no.

I'd changed to admiral from quinn 10 Days Ago :dead: and they had a over 25 policy for third party.. and i was ignorant enough to assume that all fully comp policies allowed me to drive third party with permission.

Anyway the police said that i would recieve a letter through my door and to expect 3 points -_-

I know i shouldnt have been naive and should have read my policy booklet more in depth :( but what i want to know is:

a) Do i have to declare the points as soon as i get them
b) What fine / points am i likely to recieve

:(

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You should declare points now, but most wait until renewal. I'd expect around £200 + 6 points. Simply because thats what my friend got for it.

Da

Less
Yep 6 points as said, not sure why he stated 3 points :S

£200 - £250 fine I believe.

MINI FJCW
Thats just unlucky!

Why do police have to be so inconsiderate? Dont get me wrong, I know theres some top policeman out there but they can be right jobsworths at the best of times!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thats just unlucky!

Why do police have to be so inconsiderate? Dont get me wrong, I know theres some top policeman out there but they can be right jobsworths at the best of times!

wtf?

The police are doing their jobs, this lads already stated he was blinded by ignorance to check he was covered but as stated you have to be over 25 to be covered under TPFT with the owners permission with Admiral (EUI)

Why do you think insurance is so expensive to begin with?

MINI FJCW
I know what you mean, but he was only moving his dads car round into the driveway to wash it, why cant they just understand that and just have a stern word with him.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The term "give an inch,take a mile" springs to mind. I hate to sound like im all for the Police (i hate the c***s with a passion, i have my reasons) but the bottom line is, if your on the road without insurance then expect to get fucked for it!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
how far from your drive exactly did you take the car though? was it simply take it of to turn it round then straight back on or did you drive your dads car down/along/through the street then turn around?
if youve gone on to a road or your drive goes straight on to a road and not just youre street then i imagine you would be given the fine, one of those things like you said you didnt check for sure, youre policy will probs state on it, you are not insured to drive on any other car,
did the police make youre dad come and get the car as i thought if youre stopped and not insured it has to be towed away?

ITB'd MK1
if he's said 3 points, and that's what comes through, take it and keep your mouth firmly shut. Known people get done for no insurance and get 6 points and a BIG fine (£600+)

if your in your first year of driving you only get 6 points on your license, so count yourself lucky if you only get three

320d
The circumstances are a bit unlucky but if you get the 6 points for driving without insurance your basically screwed.

Exect to pay a fortune for insurance on your 1.2 and don't expect to drive anything remotely quick for 5 years until your conviction no longer needs declaring.

Mk2 1.2 16v
Cheers for the replies, 18 years old been driving for a year. I drove it down my backlane and came out at the top of my street.. about 150m away :(

No.. the weird thing is that they just let me drive home.. which is surely illegal? :S If i'd had an accident on my way home then i wouldnt be insured

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Terribly unlucky!

However, if they issue you 6 points (which they should, probably will) you'll have to re-sit your test.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069870

Driving without insurance, max fine of £5,000 and 6-8 points.

Where a person subject to the special rules accumulates six or more penalty points before the end of the two-year period (including any points acquired before passing the test) their licence will be revoked automatically. To regain the licence they must reapply for a provisional licence and may drive only as a learner until they pass a further driving test (see also 'Safety code for new drivers').

No ban.

A ANIMAL
Sorry, just reading about it. they will keep it until you submit a new application, they will re-issue you with a prov licence with points, you have to re-sit both exams again

Titanium 182
I'd changed to admiral from quinn 10 Days Ago :dead: and they had a over 25 policy for third party.. and i was ignorant enough to assume that all fully comp policies allowed me to drive third party with permission.

Not at all, and nor do Admiral so you would have been in the same situation had this happened 10 days earlier.

So just to clear things up...

They cautioned you for driving without insurance - Nothing wrong with that.
They said you would receive a letter and 3 points - Plausable, but usually 6 points & fine.
They let you get back in the car and drive home, uninsured - This just contradicts the above!

I'm not a law inforcer, but something's not right here!

M2 Competition
This all sounds a little bit fishy.

A 'no insurance ticket' is 200 quid fine 6 points. If you're in your first 2 years driving thats bad news. They shouldnt let you drive away without insurance, its normal to seize the car under S165/ make your dad come and collect it from where it is.

Are you sure he said 3 points? As im not sure why he'd say that.

Did he summons you at all? (read out a fancy bit of words about going to court?) Did he give you a ticket? If so what did the ticket say?

Edit - Dan, great minds...

Mk2 1.2 16v
They didnt contact my dad (the vehicle owner)
They let me drive home "on your way son, is what i think he said"
He 100% said 3 points
He said you are not under arrest, but we are detaining you for this interview ( but you do not have to say anything, may harm your defence etc)
He didnt give me anything, just made me sign two forms

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
LOL was it two workies dressed in hi-vis jackets?

If it was traffic polis then they have a car, remember, they don't walk about.

Mk2 1.2 16v
No lmao, it was an astra police car (not a traffic cop?) so i think they're just normal police?

M2 Competition
They didnt contact my dad (the vehicle owner)
They let me drive home "on your way son, is what i think he said"
He 100% said 3 points
He said you are not under arrest, but we are detaining you for this interview ( but you do not have to say anything, may harm your defence etc)
He didnt give me anything, just made me sign two forms

Sounds like they've interviewed you at roadside with a view to summonsing you to court for the offence of driving without insurance.

Different but... expect a letter through at some point with a court date on it. Or nothing at all will come through as they dont fiole the paperwork and you've been lucky. They've likely done this as you're in first 2 years of driving so its a license loser if they give you the ticket, they're playing safe.

The 3 points thingy is still odd, unless that was just advice and not what the court 'will' give you. As was the not taking your car, although in a lot of areas S165 powers are only given to Traffic officers, and not response car drivers (policy, not law to do this)