ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Points for driving "without" insurance

By the sounds of things, if all is truthfully written, they've given you the willies and let you on your way, by using their disgression. Because the 3 points, letting you drive etc doesn't add up.

ph1-172
someone crashed into me with no insurance, the police properly pissed me off. the other driver gave me his details, so because he had done everything required at the scene the police wouldn't give me a crime number for my insurance claim and said they were unable to do anything, its now left to the motor insurance bureau.

pissed me off so much at the time i was tempted to cancel my insurance and pocket the £700.

i didn't cancel it before the cs do gooder's, rip me a new one.

anyway unlucky getting caught out, at least you didn't find out after having an accident.

M2 Competition
Pug - i think what you're trying to say is that the Police arrived after the other driver had left, or werent called to scene. The other driver had given his details correctly, and that it was a damage only accident, so he had left the scene.

The police cant act on 3rd party information and prosecute on it, so you saying that the other driver had no insurance at the time of the accident wouldnt stick. The police would have had no evidence that the other driver was even involved, would have been very easy for him to say that he wasnt had they tried to take him to court for no insurance. They'd need to catch him driving.

Im guessing this is the case, as had they caught him at scene with no insurance, im sure they'd have been sure to prosecute.

Mk2 1.2 16v
Just recieved a letter through the post (lol one day after posting on cliosport, after hearing nothing for weeks :p)

They said that the case will take place at the local court in sunderland on a date in august, and i can either plead guilty by post, attend the case and plead guilty, or contest it.

If i plead guilty early i will "receive less of a fine"

..Shall i bite the bullet and just plead guilty by post and attach a letter of what exactly happened?

M2 Competition
Given the circumstances, i'd go to court mate.

Yes you were guilty, but plead that you didnt know, were shocked when you found out, its something you'd never do, the short distance you were driving it to help your dad by washing his car etc.

Wear a suit and a nice magistrate might give you the benefit of the doubt and 3 points if you're ever so nice.

If you plead guilty by post, its a guaranteed license loser, likely test retake etc etc.

ph1-172
Pug - i think what you're trying to say is that the Police arrived after the other driver had left, or werent called to scene. The other driver had given his details correctly, and that it was a damage only accident, so he had left the scene.

The police cant act on 3rd party information and prosecute on it, so you saying that the other driver had no insurance at the time of the accident wouldnt stick. The police would have had no evidence that the other driver was even involved, would have been very easy for him to say that he wasnt had they tried to take him to court for no insurance. They'd need to catch him driving.

Im guessing this is the case, as had they caught him at scene with no insurance, im sure they'd have been sure to prosecute.

it wasn't really worth calling the police no one was hurt the cars were drivable, and i had no reason to belive there was any problems
the other driver was in the same situation as the op, he thought he had insurance, so gave me his details. after i contacted my insurer, and it came out that there wasn't any form of valid cover. things got more complicated the insurance company wanted a crime number etc. now another solicitor has been in touch acting for the motor insurance bureau. i can't be arsed with it all. theres not much damage to the car. and things are moving so slowly. the car still hasn't been repaired now over a month since the accident.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Given the circumstances, i'd go to court mate.

Yes you were guilty, but plead that you didnt know, were shocked when you found out, its something you'd never do, the short distance you were driving it to help your dad by washing his car etc.

Wear a suit and a nice magistrate might give you the benefit of the doubt and 3 points if you're ever so nice.

If you plead guilty by post, its a guaranteed license loser, likely test retake etc etc.
Do what Pep said mate, go to court and explain what happened.

Also if you work try and plead that case that you need your license. :)

Good luck,

ford cougar 2.0 16v
You can battle it i got cought no tax and mot and insurance years back . 150 fine and 4 months no driving and to this day because of the nature of the court case i do not need declare it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
usually i wouldnt contest anything to do with this, but i would in this case, you moved the car a short distance, you wernt aware, if you get 6 points u loose your licence which means you loose your job.