ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Polarizing Filter

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
don't think theres a difference in fitting between circular and linea, just means they work differently.

Revels Mum & Sister
Taken from the link below

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/polarizers.shtml

Circular Vs. Linear Polarizers
There are two types of polarizing filters available — linear or circular. Linear polarizers are more effective and less expensive than circular ones. But circular polarizers are needed with just about any camera that has a through-the-lens metering system, or autofocus.

The reason for this is that both of these systems use semi-silvered mirrors to siphon off some of the light coming though the lens. If that light is linearly polarized it renders either the metering or the autofocus ineffective. This means that you're going to have to buy circular polarizers unless you're shooting with a pre-1970's camera, or a view camera.

Cupra
I have a CPL for my 70-200 F4 L but have never felt the need to use it. I thought that it would only be beneficial when trying to take pics of fish in water or through windows (not being a keen fish spotter or peeping tom, I dont do either)...... are they of much more use than that?

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
It is going to be used in our estate agency, help with blue skies and reducing glare coming through windows shooting indoors etc... :)

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
i love my CPL, although the lens kit auto focus sometimes hunts really badly when using it, still, it gets the job done

2120319373_48680f04f7.jpg

2033521246_2a8c36c116.jpg

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
have I bought the righ thing? Does it just bean the Circular polarizor would do a better Job?

They get so expensive when up to 77mm!!

VaVa
I've got one, but you can get the uneven blues as seen in Clarts shots if you're not careful. Which doesn't always matter but can take a bit away from some shots.

1.8 Civic EX
I've got a Hoya one...not had a great chance to try it out yet...

may be a silly q but why has it got a little white line on the top edge of the rotating bit?

VaVa
what do u mean by uneven blues? isn't that the whole point of them?

To make uneven blues?. No. A polarising filter is used to remove reflections from a shiny surface and make blue skies darker. BUT if you shoot at the wrong angle you can get uneven polarisation, making them look too dark on one side and too dark on the other. Like in your bottom shot where the sky is darker on one side than the other. Not badly in yours mind, and probably as well as you could from where you were.

I've got some shockers from when I first had mine.

tbh i actually like the effect in the second one
imho if it was as dark as it is on the right side all the way across it would be too dark

VaVa
tbh i actually like the effect in the second one
imho if it was as dark as it is on the right side all the way across it would be too dark

Clarts isn't bad, as I've said. Was more a warning to the guy buying one than a critiscism of Clarts picture! All I'm saying is if you polarise the sky too much it will go VERY dark on one side and look very unnatural. More apparent with wide angle lens.

Dpends what effect you're after I guess!

Last edited:

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
what do u mean by uneven blues? isn't that the whole point of them?

To make uneven blues?. No. A polarising filter is used to remove reflections from a shiny surface and make blue skies darker. BUT if you shoot at the wrong angle you can get uneven polarisation, making them look too dark on one side and too dark on the other. Like in your bottom shot where the sky is darker on one side than the other. Not badly in yours mind, and probably as well as you could from where you were.

I've got some shockers from when I first had mine.

that effect in mine was intentional lol

VaVa
Fair play, I wasn't critiscising. As I said in my previous post it depends on the effect you're after. Cracking pic mind.

FF Blackgold 182
I've got a Hoya one...not had a great chance to try it out yet...

may be a silly q but why has it got a little white line on the top edge of the rotating bit?

Afaik it's just so you have a point of reference on the bit that rotates, like a marker. I don't really use the white line tbh as you do everything on the fly anyway. I use Hoya polarizers and Cokin grads etc on my 350d and I never leave home without them. To get the best effect from polarizers, the sun ideally should be 90 degrees from the subject or scene.

have I bought the righ thing? Does it just bean the Circular polarizor would do a better Job?

Goin on what Rasclart said your metering system might be very inaccurate, your best bet will be shoot in full manual if you have issues..

Clart's shots are pretty much spot on imo, the effect works because his are nicely graduated. Now THIS is a real uneven sky...

Sigma 10-20 @10mm with Circular Polarizer...

239878291-L.jpg

I did a test whilst stood there, my 50mm worked really well there with a CP but most of my 10-20 shots were useless.

It actually works ok if you are at the right angle, even at 10mm, but I wouldn't use one at any wider than 15-20mm to be honest, even then you have to be incredibly careful.

Sigma 10-20 @ 20mm with Circular Polarizer...

184276600-L.jpg

That one worked exactly as I wanted it to, more often than not you would have a battle on your hands to get a blue sky in those hot daytime conditions, but the CP handled it really well at 20mm.

Last edited:
  VaVa
Nice one dude. That's what I was mumbling on about lol :eek:

I picked Clarts shot because I couldn't be arsed to find another pic. Bad example lol.

Rally bus

Linear polarisers bugger up the AF so if you're using AF you should get a circular one.

They're only expensive if you buy from UK shops, plenty of deals with the ebay HK sellers. Hama/Kenko Pro 1 filters are excellent :)

Revels Mum & Sister
I got my CP from a Ebay guy Crooked Image or Imaging I cant remember what exactly. But was very expensive at all and was shipped from the UK. This was a Hoya

Rally bus
I meant Hoya when I said Hama :eek:

Price depends on what quality you go for, the Pro 1D wideband 77mm one I use is over £100 if you buy them here, around £30 from HK including postage.