ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

polished inlet maniolds

A slow one :-(
from what I can remember... take it off and get it machined polish. By far the easiest way.

Do a search for it though... loads of topics on this subject.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
can i just like change the bit on my bench grinder for like a polishing bit. ie remove both grinding disks and put some polishing disks on ? then just use loads of rubbing compound stuff ? or use some metal fibre one

2003 clio sport 172
yeh, I used to be in the body repair trade, would like to be able to polish it in situ, rather than taking it all off. I have used farecla compound before to flat and polish paint work, just never done it with alloy before!!!

R35 GTR
can i just like change the bit on my bench grinder for like a polishing bit. ie remove both grinding disks and put some polishing disks on ? then just use loads of rubbing compound stuff ? or use some metal fibre one

use rubbing compound dude, read up on the preperation of these as it is not as simple as dipping into the stuff and then polishing. you need to prepare the polishing and linishing mops correctly otherwise you waste your time.

R35 GTR
yeh, I used to be in the body repair trade, would like to be able to polish it in situ, rather than taking it all off. I have used farecla compound before to flat and polish paint work, just never done it with alloy before!!!

Its easy to remove it. Too messy to do in situ.

rather than polish the inlet and top part that comes through engine cover can this be painted? if so what stuff is best do you need a primer first? cheers

R35 GTR
rather than polish the inlet and top part that comes through engine cover can this be painted? if so what stuff is best do you need a primer first? cheers

I've used hammerite smooth and it has lasted for over 4 months or more now. Doesnt come off with the heat.

R35 GTR
They look good in matt black.

Did you remove it to do this dave?

yep removed mine, masked it all off and painted it on with a brush. Take all masking tape off between coats though or it sticks.

I have a pic somwhere......

polishedinlet006.gif

Mito Sportiva 135
I think I prefer the factory look to be honest, but each to their own!

Always a bit dubious about painting parts of my car myself though, especially when it comes to resale. I am a big fan of red brake callipers on black cars though, but would prefer real Brembos than me painting mine!

mmmm hamerite smooth do they do it silver colour mate? and where is best place to get it from and its heat resistant is it??? did you use a primer mate

the only way to it that way is to take them off , go without a car for short while or buy the parts 1st

Audi TT 225
Yeah you need to take it all off before you polish it. You dont want all that metal dust floating around your engine bay.
No I didn't lie I did all that myself, by hand, just takes a long time... about a year to be exact.
I tried power tools but they just make things worse in the long run, dont use dremyls you'll gouge the metal.
I think Yozzasport offer a polishing service for fuel rails and plenhams so give em a call.

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
here a pic of my inlet phlenum recentley polished and painted at
whitings autos. (01278 455997)

it was only £150 exchanged!!!!!:eek:

i also got to choose he colour.

what do you think?? bearin in mind it took him 4days!:)

Last edited: