ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poor Broadband Service - Pipex

350z & 16v Maxi
Pipex say there is nothing wrong with my line based on these results from thinkbroadband, I have an 8meg Max service. Is it just me are is it completely unbelievable that anyone could believe there is nothing wrong with this?

22/05/07 19:32 37.73 Kbps
22/05/07 19:16 129.92 Kbps
22/05/07 19:14 146.02 Kbps
22/05/07 19:06 487.76 Kbps
21/05/07 18:42 6059.32 Kbps
21/05/07 18:39 1951.39 Kbps
21/05/07 00:16 775.25 Kbps
20/05/07 23:49 64.27 Kbps
20/05/07 22:28 3938.01 Kbps
20/05/07 22:18 2503.03 Kbps
20/05/07 22:15 2367.34 Kbps
17/05/07 21:14 3063.76 Kbps
17/05/07 21:06 506.10 Kbps
17/05/07 20:56 1265.41 Kbps
17/05/07 20:54 2327.22 Kbps
17/05/07 20:50 2251.99 Kbps
17/05/07 20:39 2170.24 Kbps
17/05/07 20:28 2040.64 Kbps
17/05/07 20:20 1534.26 Kbps
17/05/07 20:19 2096.90 Kbps
17/05/07 18:52 3823.65 Kbps
17/05/07 18:51 3188.67 Kbps
17/05/07 18:50 3284.72 Kbps
17/05/07 18:34 3817.63 Kbps

Last edited:
  RB 182
Had the same problem, and so did ViolentJ.

I got mine resolved after a few weeks of calls though luckily.

350z & 16v Maxi
Was it with Pipex? How did you get it resolved? Was it an issue with BT?

This is almost 5 months down the line btw hense all the questions.

I mean 1 of those results is slower than f*cking dial-up!!!!!!

RB 182
Yep, we have Pipex. We had BT come around and test the line and I think in the end it was a combination of both Pipex and BT don't doing there work to upgrade correctly.

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
Yeh my bt is crap its supposed to be 6mb i think or 8 and its running at like 2 dunno wtf is going on.

350z & 16v Maxi
I have only had this problme since upgrading to the Max service, had a 2meg line before that and didn't have a problem.

350z & 16v Maxi
I do get some good 6-7 meg speeds sometimes but how an they expect me to accept speedtest results of slower than dialup??? They are a f*cking joke!!!!!!

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
pipex are the biggest bunch of incompetent fools on the planet, thankfully i ended my contract with them over a year ago! Funnily enough though just to back up that claim of them being retarded, i recieved a bill through this morning for over 100 quid from them for something random even though i havent been with them for over a year.

LOL, Pipex, says it all really. They are absolutely crap. All the good ISPs out there were bought up by Pipex and C&W and they turned to absolute crap. They're like a virus. I'd try elsewhere if I were you.

350z & 16v Maxi
SO you are all in agreement with me that the service i am recieveing is uter sh*t and i'm not being unreasonable.

I wish i could leave but when i upgraded to the Max service i had to enter a new contract.

Not a Clio
I still haven't got my issue resolved and like you I "upgraded".

Still on a 2Mb profile when it should be 8Mb. I got told by a nice lady on their support desk the other week that she could not help me because I use Linux, that was after she said "Linux? I've never heard of that..."

Not a Clio
Post your line stats

Here's mine:

IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1795 kbps

I've given Pipex loads of these test results, but they keep asking for more! I was told that IP Profile has nothing to do with anything.

Clown Car
I am with Virgin Media and i usually get around a 6.5 meg connection/750kbps d/l speed at off peak times, at on peak times like now my connection can be as worse as 256 kb/20kbps d/l speed which is pretty awful for online gaming pings(250+), i should be swapping over to ADSL24 tomorrow, hopefully.

RB 182
The whole hardware thing was the first thing that they asked us, we did tests with the old modem we had (which required installing etc). We also told them that various different operating systems gave the same result Windows/Linux.

Not a Clio

That website is p*sh btw, i can't even get it to load half the time the other half once it's loaded i can't get anything else to work on the page after that. My router states:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.0 db 10.0 db
Noise Margin 7.4 db 24.0 db

I know mate! But it's the only place that Pipex accept results from.

350z & 16v Maxi
Maybe that is why i'm not getting it sorted as i tell them to bugger off anytime they ask me to use that site, and just give them the think broadband results.

Not a Clio
If they ask you to login as speedtest@speedtest_domain, then tell them to f**k off as it won't work and they KNOW it won't work - I have it in an email from them when I complained about it lol

350z & 16v Maxi
i just tell them to f**k off when they tell me to use that web site full stop as it never works wither logged in as the speedtest or not.

My gf is with pipex (different exchange) and has the same probs but she is not in a contract so has just moved to ADSL24. If she has no problems with them Pipex are getting the biggest ammount of abuse you've ever seen!!!!!!!

Not a Clio
I'm on the verge of just giving up and sitting my contract out. I dread to think how much money and time I've wasted calling them.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Post your line stats

Here's mine:

IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1795 kbps

I've given Pipex loads of these test results, but they keep asking for more! I was told that IP Profile has nothing to do with anything.
Your ISP should be pushing BT to change your Profile. What you should do is reboot your router once a day for 4 days, not more than once, twice a day though, or it will show up as sync loss and reduce you.

Always run your speedtests from... http://speedtester.bt.com/ ....Makes it easier for your ISP to report your profile to BT. Try do three a day till they fix it and copy and paste the results to Piper customer service.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
I'm on the verge of just giving up and sitting my contract out. I dread to think how much money and time I've wasted calling them.

Write them a letter mate, in my experience from an ISP point of view, letters always held more weight in regards to sorting customers problems out.

Not a Clio
Pipex have told me that BT cannot find anything wrong, they were going to send an engineer but it took me a few days to find the time to call them back to arrange a visit and when I called back they said it was too late and the "fault" had been closed!

The ip address for the website I've been using is actually the bt speedtester, Pipex gave me 2 ip's for it instead of the URL for some reason.

They told me that I have to logon to the net as speedtest@speedtest_domain so that BT can actually see the results I'm getting, but this doesn't work at all and I had confirmation from Pipex that there's a problem with it. I've given them probably close to 50 results from BT speedtester now using my own logon, but they just keep wanting more.

When I phone, even though there are supposedly notes on my account, everyone treats me different. The girl was the worst, even after I explained the problem and how many times I'd called, and about the notes, she still started to ask me to check settings (in Windows) and then lost the plot when I said I didn't use Windows.

I'll try the letter route.

The last time I complained about something (they stopped my phone service when I upgraded without telling me, and couldn't give it me back!), I did it via e-mail. The first one they conveniently lost and the second took about 3 months to get a reply to.

Not a Clio
Tried one last time to get through to them on the phone and guess what... they need MORE speed test results.

I'll try the letter approach now.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
What is your SNR (signal to noise) on the line Violent? if its high it will auto reduce your profile, try a new filter and unplug all other phones, sky etc also what router are you using?

Is there any noise on the phone during voice calls? Have you any internal phone extentions ?

For who ever said, these are sync speeds vs the actual throughput that you can possible receive, alot of people will sync at 1700kbps, but the absolute maximum download speed they will receive is 1Mbps, that extra 28kbps makes all the difference.

from 288kbps up to 0.25Mbps
from 576kbps up to 0.5Mbps
from 1152kbps up to 1Mbps
from 1728kbps up to 1.5Mbps
from 2272kbps up to 2Mbps
from 2848kbps up to 2.5Mbps
from 3424kbps up to 3Mbps
from 4000kbps up to 3.5Mbps
from 4544kbps up to 4Mbps
from 5120kbps up to 4.5Mbps
from 5696kbps up to 5Mbps
from 6240kbps up to 5.5Mbps
from 6816kbps up to 6Mbps
from7392kbps up to 6.5Mbps
from 7968kbps up to 7Mbps
from 8128kbps up to 7.15Mbps

Not a Clio
My modem doesn't give me the SNR info, there's no noise on the line during voice calls.

Modem: Linksys ADSL2MUE
Router: Linksys BEFSR81

I've also tried only using the modem.

We have internal extensions, but I unplugged everything and tried direct from the master socket.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
The SNR margin can only be measured from your own property, you may need an engineer visit to check this figure if your router doesn’t capture this info. Ignore what i put above, higher SNR figure = better line quality. SNR plays a massive part with relation to speed in MaxDSL then it did on traditional adsl products.

When testing, are you using the BT test socket behind your master phone socket (behind the face plate) also remember, that for your profile to increase, it needs to sync for at least 3-4 days, with a maximum of two reboots a day.

Some routers have hidden pages, try some of these and see if yours does..

or try
Turn debug on:
http://192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug

start telnet:
telnet 192.168.1.1

type in command:
adslctl info –stats
It could just be that you have a "Stuck bRAS profile". Despite syncing at much higher speeds, your IP profile remains stuck at 2Mb. The DLM system may not have picked up that you have been upgraded from your traditional adsl speed to your new sync speed and generally its the better lines which tend to get stuck on their old 2Mb speed, possibly because their SNR is better and they suffer from fewer fluctuations.
In your letter tell them you suspect a stuck bRAS profile and ask them to ask BTw to reset your IP profile.

Also ask them to perform a WOOSH test which will advise your ISP of your line "Loop Loss" and SNR Margin. They wont want to do it because it takes facking ages, insist they do.

Not a Clio
Thanks for the info, it appears there are no hidden pages :( - just checked with Linksys support.

I did try testing from the BT test socket, when I remembered that it was there!

I was actually regraded back in February so I guess it's been in sync long enough?

Last edited:

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
February! Pipex not got the best customer service then. I would guess that you either have really bad line noise or stuck bRAS profile. Can you lend a mates router that does capture line stats, this would rule out line noise if you have a high SNR. tbh, your ISP should be sorting all this out for you.