ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poor mans Xenons (HID's)

With MOT rules in January set to make these illegal and police in Scotland already stopping and fining people on the spot for them I would say you'd be pretty stupid to get a set now. Just took a set out of my latest car today due to them being a nuisance.

Fiesta ST200
With MOT rules in January set to make these illegal and police in Scotland already stopping and fining people on the spot for them I would say you'd be pretty stupid to get a set now. Just took a set out of my latest car today due to them being a nuisance.

Oh wow, really? :O

Definaitely going for xenons now. Just have to save a bit after christmas and the coilies :)

Fiesta ST200
Guess Im either saving my money and leaving them alone or buying xenons. Go hard or go home I guess is the motto :)

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
has anyone installed hids on projector headlights
was thinking of getting some 6k

any tips or guide on how to install them

thanks

Did you read anything in this thread before posting your question?

Good, HID's are proper chavvy

Just had a little look at the night breakers. I think the new Clio will get treated to some of those little bad boys!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Just had a little look at the night breakers. I think the new Clio will get treated to some of those little bad boys!

They are amazing tbh. I'd have kept them if I was purely going for better vision and better looks. I just like the look of the Xenon's from the 1*2's on the non sports. Just makes the front end look a bit tidier.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
also to add on this subject, if you havent got washers on your HID's they you can also fail the MOT

On my DC5 I dont have headlight washers but factory xeon's obviously the car is an import, will this cause me trouble at MOT time?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Lots of HID hate

I've had them in 2 cars (never bought any) and they were fine.

In reflector lenses they can be dodgy but you can get more expensive bulbs to reduce the light scatter.

As for the MOT, just put your halogens back in for a day :)

Clio GT 1.6
Sorry to jump in here,
are osram nightbreakers the best bulbs to get? any philips examples that are just as good or better?

I think its quite annoying that the police are hammering down on this but letting tons of motorists get away with misaligned headlights or even worse driving with only one functional dipped beam (don't know the legal rules behind this). Just my opinion really. Surely if HIDS are fitted and aligned correctly and of "OEM intensity" they can't be too bad??

Hids are already illegal to have fitted to your car if you don't have auto electronic headlight leveling and washer jets, however they will still pass the MOT at the moment. But come january MOT stations are being sent charts to tell them what bulb each car should have in them.

Mate just buy some osram nightbreaker bulbs. I've got Xenon's in now and the quality of light is no where near as good or as bright.

Yeah Jon was saying the halogens were much better for vision, Only thing is I don't understand the difference between mine and, what are now yours? The vision from my xenons is excellent, certainly better than the halogen units?! Possibly because they're still factory?! can't see how it would make a difference though?!

Impreza Wagon
Sorry to jump in here,
are osram nightbreakers the best bulbs to get? any philips examples that are just as good or better?

I think its quite annoying that the police are hammering down on this but letting tons of motorists get away with misaligned headlights or even worse driving with only one functional dipped beam (don't know the legal rules behind this). Just my opinion really. Surely if HIDS are fitted and aligned correctly and of "OEM intensity" they can't be too bad??

Nightbreakers seem to be the bulb to get at the mo! I had a quick look on eBay last night and you can pick a pair up for about £13.50, bargain imo.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah Jon was saying the halogens were much better for vision, Only thing is I don't understand the difference between mine and, what are now yours? The vision from my xenons is excellent, certainly better than the halogen units?! Possibly because they're still factory?! can't see how it would make a difference though?!

The bulbs in mine are direct replacements for the standard ones. Jon has a set of 8K aswell which he said I could have. I do think I need some 6K ones though, and next time you're out and about I'll have to have a look at yours, the bulbs might just be dying in mine.

The bulbs in mine are direct replacements for the standard ones. Jon has a set of 8K aswell which he said I could have. I do think I need some 6K ones though, and next time you're out and about I'll have to have a look at yours, the bulbs might just be dying in mine.

Ah right, yeah quite possibly.. I was surprised because on his 1.2 they were pretty good I thought? Not sure what bulbs I have in, never get round to checking... or removing my sidelights which still needs doing :eek:

Fiesta ST200
So nightbreakers give better vision and I suppose they look whiter when you look at them? :)

Might just go for those until I get the money together for some xenons :)

So nightbreakers give better vision and I suppose they look whiter when you look at them? :)

Might just go for those until I get the money together for some xenons :)

I had nightbreakers on my old car and they were excellent. They give a very crisp light, quite white beam, and to look at, white with a very slight tint of blue, only very slight though. They're the next best thing after a good set of Xenons imo.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Hids are already illegal to have fitted to your car if you don't have auto electronic headlight leveling and washer jets, however they will still pass the MOT at the moment. But come january MOT stations are being sent charts to tell them what bulb each car should have in them.

Most HIDs wont pass an alignment test at MOT time anyway, as said, easy enough to swap your halogens in for the day :)

MK3 GTI golf 16v
ive got HIDs in the ph1 and personally dont think there that bright. i know everyone moans if you dont have certain headlights for them but there nowhere near as bright as most cars on the road

Black Gold Trophy
:coffee: The OP started a thread the other day asking whether he should buy Apex or Eibach springs, then after everyone told him how bad Apex were, he asked whether he should get some Raceland coilovers....

PB Clio 172
:coffee: The OP started a thread the other day asking whether he should buy Apex or Eibach springs, then after everyone told him how bad Apex were, he asked whether he should get some Raceland coilovers....

i found this too, this op asks us what we think about HID kits we tell him they are total crap, legal issues etc. then he says ok well when I have a bit more money I may get HIDs ! we just told you not too, same thing with the springs ! young boys ! doesnt listen !

MK3 GTI golf 16v
i found this too, this op asks us what we think about HID kits we tell him they are total crap, legal issues etc. then he says ok well when I have a bit more money I may get HIDs ! we just told you not too, same thing with the springs ! young boys ! doesnt listen !

read this thread properly maybe ? he says are they good, everyone slates them, then he says hes gonna save any buy xenons

dont see what peoples problem is with HIDS tbh, apart from anything over 6K because they do look pikey.

If you wanted baller headlamps, why did you buy a Toby Carvery spec Cup?

FLOL.

This thread is terrible.
If you can afford to buy and insure a 182 at 19, you can afford to buy proper xenon headlamp unit. You WILL blind every f**ker with HID's in halogen lights, no matter what colour temperature you get.

Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-Xenon-Headlight-Pair-2004-complete-units-/280774156925?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415f71a27d#ht_500wt_1287

Last edited:
  PB Clio 172
its not our problem ! we are trying to help you guys out ! The police have a problem with them ! If they are not factory standard don't fit them in my eyes!