ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pops & Bangs Mapping Questions

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Before I start I know it's been covered but struggling to find any actual answers to my questions..

Bit of a noob so excuse any stupidity

Got my car remapped at a local tuner to me who i know and trust, a good friend whilst it was in the process of tweaking I told them I wanted an over run pops and bangs sort of map, he said he could do it but didn't really want to do it on my car due to being abused a lot (tracks) and could cause over fueling which can damage the engine which sounded right, he said he would get it popping however... Which it does only slightly but you have to make it with the throttle, performance gains feel good with a raised limit and 10hp over standard it does feel like a good remap pulls like a train.

Now I've got a scorpion catback with a decat section too, which has a centre resonator box and an average sized rear box, I don't know but seems to me it's not loud on over run at all, more like a gargling, doesn't sound how I wanted it, sounds a bit childish but I wanted it a bit asbo sounding really, popping and banging like the ones posted on YouTube with RS tuner maps or KTec ones,

Is it due to the exhaust quietening it down? It's a loud system, was 94db at Oulton park so couldn't take centre box out really.

The cars going back in this week for a 182 mani & milltek decat pipe will it pop and bang louder? Or is there something on the map he could tweek more?

As said I'm a bit of a noob but any help would be great!!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Did you have it on track or just sound tested? You will probably get told off on track if you sound like a box if fireworks in every braking zone!

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
To be honest as said i want it sounding a bit asbo haha, it's only a weekend car so

Don't think it will bother me, sounds epic in a mates vxr when we went his has an over run map which bangs and flames.

My car was sound tested at oulton park static, was 94db? At like 5k

All I'm asking really is what do the tuners do to achieve loud bangs and pops and even flames on some clios?

To be honest as said i want it sounding a bit asbo haha, it's only a weekend car so

Don't think it will bother me, sounds epic in a mates vxr when we went his has an over run map which bangs and flames.

My car was sound tested at oulton park static, was 94db? At like 5k

All I'm asking really is what do the tuners do to achieve loud bangs and pops and even flames on some clios?

Overfuel it basically I think, Chip-mk1 is the guy for that info

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Don't want the car getting any problems such as bore wash With it over fueling is this likely to happen?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The pops and bangs does several things:

Open the ICV (ph1) or the ETC (ph2) to allow a little more airflow
Add extra fuel
r****d the ignition

This has the net effect of making the engine run massively inefficiently which results in an increase in EGT and an excess of fuel, so this hot fuel filled gas then explodes when it gets to fresh air and causes a pop or burns and causes a flame, or a bit of both.

It will wash the bores a bit, and it will increase the chance of exhaust valves failing by getting them hotter.

It can also damage your baffles in your exhaust which can make them louder, but it in itself shouldnt effect noise limits as you are on a held throttle during the test.

Is it good for your car?
No

Is it going to kill it straight away?
Unlikely

Is it going to cause more wear than if you dont have it?
Yes

Should you do it?
up to you, depends how much you enjoy the bangs and wether its worth it to you therefore, personally I wouldnt!

172 & 197 CUP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Z4zDPm1Z0

Watch this, it's my clio with the overrun map and trust me in person it's very loud.

I have a sportex system and a de cat, I love the pops but they come with a warning...

1- I think my toasted pre cat lamda might have not been helped by the mix going down the pipes...
2- I love trackday's, the trackday marshall's however don't like me... so I had to invest in a switchable tuner box thing that I can turn them off with after being kicked off Blyton Park :-(

I like them though so they are staying for now...

RenaultSport 172
I thought pops & bangs was achieved by adding fuel when you are off the throttle in gear. The fuel doesn't get ignited as there is no spark and then ignites when it hits the hot exhaust. Shouldn't affect the running of the car at all?
Might be different with clios but that's how it was done on my impreza

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I thought pops & bangs was achieved by adding fuel when you are off the throttle in gear. The fuel doesn't get ignited as there is no spark and then ignites when it hits the hot exhaust. Shouldn't affect the running of the car at all?
Might be different with clios but that's how it was done on my impreza

There is a spark, its just delivered late.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Put me off a bit with that about track Marshall's as they can be ass's with you sometimes, hmm still very tempted though.

It's back in the garage on Thursday so I'll get him to have a little play with it see what it's like :) thanks for your help though

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I got fed up with it especially on the motorway. It will drive you mad on track
it's not healthy either

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I had it on my 182 with a full decatted Yozza. Sounded great but after a few weeks got really bored.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I got fed up with it especially on the motorway. It will drive you mad on track
it's not healthy either

Surely it would of only been doing it on the motorway if you were hammering it above 4k and letting off the throttle?

You could drive mine pretty much however you wanted and never get it to pop if you didn't want to or if you wanted to have the car taken off you by the police you just had to go up the revs in 1 gear and come off the throttle and listen to the ridiculous pops and huge flames.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Surely it would of only been doing it on the motorway if you were hammering it above 4k and letting off the throttle?

You could drive mine pretty much however you wanted and never get it to pop if you didn't want to or if you wanted to have the car taken off you by the police you just had to go up the revs in 1 gear and come off the throttle and listen to the ridiculous pops and huge flames.

Yeah true as I do hammer it on the motorway
i loved it 1st of all but got put off by hearing about the damage it can cause

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26

Add extra fuel
r****d the ignition

This has the net effect of making the engine run massively inefficiently which results in an increase in EGT and an excess of fuel, so this hot fuel filled gas then explodes when it gets to fresh air and causes a pop or burns and causes a flame, or a bit of both.

It will wash the bores a bit, and it will increase the chance of exhaust valves failing by getting them hotter.

It can also damage your baffles in your exhaust which can make them louder, but it in itself shouldnt effect noise limits as you are on a held throttle during the test.

Is it good for your car?
No

Unlikely

Yes

Should you do it?
up to you, depends how much you enjoy the bangs and wether its worth it to you therefore, personally I wouldnt!

What is the ECT short for on the ph2

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds pants.

So pants that the failsport bunch would secretly map it on to one members car just before a track day, to annoy them all day long on track.
That must take some planning. Getting unlock code bought from henk in advance etc :p

monaco 172
Not read every post but I scanned though it, I see you said you are going for a decat pipe fitted.

This is probably half your problem of why its not popping loud.

Rs tuner overrun map specifically states do not use the map unless you have got a decat pipe.

RS-182 Mk2 RS-2000
Im now in the same dilemma about the pops and bangs map. Ive got a 182 road car and 182 rally car. My road car is decatted and is mega loud and rubbish on throttle response in stop start traffic so im considering swapping this onto the rally car and getting the pops and bang map on it. In my view pops and bangs are the sound of motor sport even if it does muller the engine I think its still worth it. Does anyone know anywhere that does that remap in the North West? Im near Warrington Cheshire

RS-182 Mk2 RS-2000

Add extra fuel
r****d the ignition

Is it good for your car?
No

Unlikely

Yes

Should you do it?

Can the pops and bangs remap be done on a standard ECU or does it need an aftermarket unit? Cheers, Rob