ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

portrait advice

MK2 PH2 172 cup
new to photography but would like to be able to take decent portrait photo's, here's some quick ones Ive took just to give you an idea of my capabilities
advice on how to improve please
excuse the lhasa apso in pic 4 she thinks shes a rottweiler lol

bryna3.jpg

dsc0016do.jpg

csc0006j.jpg

dsc0004yr.jpg

dsc0003ng.jpg

Ian

Focus TDCi
Braver than me, still need to get into taking portraits! :)

First one looks best to me, looks like you've used flash.. can't tell? It seems to balance pretty well with the ambient light though (maybe a little bit dark) and no harsh shadows on the face either. Maybe clone out the stick in the background.

Third looks like you missed focus slightly? Her nose seems a bit sharper than her eyes. I'd try and light the wall a bit better/ tone down the flash as well to avoid the shadow on the wall.

#4 and #5 don't work for me, was somebody else taking photos at the same time? The lack of eye contact and the high vantage point make them feel a bit detached if you know what I mean?

Good work though, great base to work from. :)

Edit: Think you've just added another photo (#2?)

Last edited:
  MK2 PH2 172 cup
i think the flash look on pic 1 is water reflection, but see what you mean about a little dark maby, yeah never thought of cloneing out the stick gd idea ;)
yes someone else was in the room talking i think she was looking at them instead of me
and i see what you mean about lighting the wall
thanks for that ;) first reply and already gd advice:D

Rally bus
no. 1 and 2 distracting backgrounds, clear them or underexpose/use fill-in flash.

no. 3 seems quite a harsh light plus big shadow... diffuse the light source and move the subject away from the wall.

no. 4 and 5 look like snapshots, need composed better eg dogs looking up, legs not cropped etc

I'd try a plainer background for 3, 4 and 5. The one you've used would be ok for shooting a pic of a goth but I don't think it's suitable for kid/family pics, plain white/black looks better in my opinion.

Ian

Focus TDCi
brynster said:
i think the flash look on pic 1 is water reflection, but see what you mean about a little dark maby, yeah never thought of cloneing out the stick gd idea ;)

Ahh that was my second guess lol, didn't think it was in-built flash as it's coming from bottom left.

brynster said:
yes someone else was in the room talking i think she was looking at them instead of me

Aye thought so. :) I've never taken photos in a studio or with a backdrop so not sure what to suggest with them. Possibly get a bit lower and try a different method of lighting, the highlights seem a bit harsh.

brynster said:
and i see what you mean about lighting the wall
thanks for that ;) first reply and already gd advice:D

Also, if they're a bit further away from the wall it would help reduce the shadow.

no was there all the time lol my pc didnt load one first time i had to refresh and then all 5 came up

Think the same happened to me tbh! #2 is ok, decent skin tone and even light, but not keen on the angle.

Looking at the EXIF I think you're using auto mode? I'd try changing to aperture priority and dialling in around f/4-5.6, blur the background a bit.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Good effort, the first image is the best, but as mentioned clone out the stick so the boy isnt connected to the background.

I would recommend on getting a different background, a plain colour normally works best.

There are two main styles of portrait photography, high key and low key and they will require different techniques to achieve.

Low key images like these two are normally dark and moody, any light that does fall on the subject is usually not softened with diffusers or softboxes

1-4.jpg

liziweb2.jpg

High key images tend to be much brighter (most tend to have a white background) and usually with softer light.

You can use light to alter the background, as the light falls away it will change from white to grey and eventually black. Therefore by using only a single light on a background instead of two it is possible to create gradients like i have done in this pic

chris0jx.jpg

MK2 PH2 172 cup
thanks for this guys :D
its all new to me so any help and advice is really appreciated ;)
ill be trying some of the tips given and see what i can come up with,
once again any help or advice ppl can give would be great :D

MK2 PH2 172 cup
Good effort, the first image is the best, but as mentioned clone out the stick so the boy isnt connected to the background.

I would recommend on getting a different background, a plain colour normally works best.

There are two main styles of portrait photography, high key and low key and they will require different techniques to achieve.

Low key images like these two are normally dark and moody, any light that does fall on the subject is usually not softened with diffusers or softboxes

1-4.jpg

liziweb2.jpg

High key images tend to be much brighter (most tend to have a white background) and usually with softer light.

You can use light to alter the background, as the light falls away it will change from white to grey and eventually black. Therefore by using only a single light on a background instead of two it is possible to create gradients like i have done in this pic

chris0jx.jpg
love the low key pics :D
any advice on which cammera settings for these would be great