ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible Clutch Problem?

Clio 1.8 16v
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had this kind of trouble too.....

I was driving along slowing down for a set of traffic lights, dropped the clutch to change down from 4th to 3rd and all I can say is the pedal "popped" under my foot....since then the pedal feels loads lighter, its struggling to get into and out of a gear and you can smell it burning, i understand this is probably a clutch problem, but what I dont understand is why....why would it go so simply? I wasnt driving it hard, and I was only doing about 35mph when it happened.

Ive towed it over to a garage for them to look at it, but I just wondered if anyone else has had anything similar....oh its a Valver mk1 ph2.

I intend to put a Group N spec clutch back in, if thats what the problem turns out to be, while its out they can uprate it, IMO.

thanks guys, Caroline.

The Jinx
If it's a valver it'll most likely be the clutch pedal that's fooked. They tend to snap especially if they're not the uprated version.

Apparently.

The Jinx
On the back of the pedal is a plastic arm that the cable arches over, sort of acting as a lever/gear.

I think that's what snaps. Check your pm's matey.

Civic Si
yeah the pedal has a rachet mechanism on the end, everytime you put your foot on the pedal it latches onto peg, pulls the cable and engages the clutch, overtime the pegs can become worn and basically it just slips and picks up on a different peg, it self adjusts.
new pedal(which includes the rachet mechanism) costs around £25.
garage should charge around £80-90 to fit including part price.
altho cant really account for the burning smell, maybe the clutch isnt fully engaging properly and its getting burnt out.