ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible head damage opinions

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Evening all,

Just after a second eyeball on this one, just got the head back from machine shop having all faces cleaned up and ran through the parts washer, as I was oggling it the other night I noticed these gouges in exhaust cam side. I'm assuming this isn't normal and has been damaged in the shop, thought I best ask though first before I go stomping back into the shop.
20210619_204320.jpg

20210619_204332.jpg

This is the bit that worries me, I'm thinking it may cause issues with the cam?
20210619_204355.jpg

Cheers

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Evening all,

Just after a second eyeball on this one, just got the head back from machine shop having all faces cleaned up and ran through the parts washer, as I was oggling it the other night I noticed these gouges in exhaust cam side. I'm assuming this isn't normal and has been damaged in the shop, thought I best ask though first before I go stomping back into the shop. View attachment 1544275
View attachment 1544276

This is the bit that worries me, I'm thinking it may cause issues with the cam?
View attachment 1544278

Cheers
Mate don’t even worry yourself about that. It’s only when the journals are heavily scored and you can feel it with your finger nail that you’ve got problems.

Those journals are in very good order for a f4r cylinder head - trust me I’ve seen way way way worse than that.

The exhaust cam always suffers with scoring as it’s one of the last areas to get oil. And when the oil supply in some f4r motors is so shite, I’m amazed they even survive! Lol

Jack1998

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 1.6 Rsi
Mate don’t even worry yourself about that. It’s only when the journals are heavily scored and you can feel it with your finger nail that you’ve got problems.

Those journals are in very good order for a f4r cylinder head - trust me I’ve seen way way way worse than that.

The exhaust cam always suffers with scoring as it’s one of the last areas to get oil. And when the oil supply in some f4r motors is so shite, I’m amazed they even survive! Lol
Cheers mate!
Still a bit miffed that they have gouged my cylinder head and didn't own up, was getting worried that that little corner they have taken off would cause some bother. But hey ho, as long as it won't cause me any issues I will just clean it up with the dremel when I start porting.

It seems to be a little survivor this engine, it has no scoring at all except this little bit on the exhaust cam, was just going to buff it up with some white rouge and a soft wheel.
20210619_215133.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers mate!
Still a bit miffed that they have gouged my cylinder head and didn't own up, was getting worried that that little corner they have taken off would cause some bother. But hey ho, as long as it won't cause me any issues I will just clean it up with the dremel when I start porting.

It seems to be a little survivor this engine, it has no scoring at all except this little bit on the exhaust cam, was just going to buff it up with some white rouge and a soft wheel. View attachment 1544301
My advice is leave them alone. The exhaust cam journals wear more than the inlet and as a result, they then start to haemorrhage oil pressure due to the increased clearance.