ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible project Ph1 and Audi TT content

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Right chaps I've been thinking about this for a while. . I have a TT roadster and I've just picked up Kelvs old ph1, what does everyone think about putting the 2 together?
What hurdles are likely to be encountered and what sort of costs on top of the cars am I likely to incur?
Thanks in Advance

172 Turbo
Engine mount fabrication, loom and exhaust to start with. Then things like the clutch so that you can use an appropriate gearbox.

phase 1 flamer 172
Don't know much about tt,s really, is it turbo/4 wheel drive? then enormous amount of fabrication using most of the bottom half of the tt I would have thought. Cost depends on how much you can do yourself.

The TT engine should have some tinkering to make it a little better.

Is it a 225?

Can't beileve I've just woken up and you've travelled have the country for another lol. AndyRG might be able to help what box is on your current turbo?

I'd imagine getting the haldex 4wd drive system would be a lot of work if it's even possible.

Last edited:
  Rusty Cup
At the risk of sounding like I've totally missed the point.. Don't you have a Clio with a 1.8t VW/Audi lump in it?

Ok got ya yea 4wd clio would be crazy. I've seen a few projects like this started but not many finished.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Are the wheelbases similar?

Rent a unit, strip both cars down to rolling shells, chop the tops off each, get a welder to weld them back together... Then worry about fitting everything back together. I'd be willing to try and help.

S4 Avant
Seriously ambitious idea, but I can't understand the point behind putting the Clio shell on the Audi floor plan, when you already have a working 4WD Audi TT.

just fettle with the Audi, make that faster and keep at least some residual value on both cars.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Are the wheelbases similar?

Rent a unit, strip both cars down to rolling shells, chop the tops off each, get a welder to weld them back together... Then worry about fitting everything back together. I'd be willing to try and help.

Cheers Scott your foreman ;)

Northwest Clio TT team build

great plan ;) CS NW car..

Seriously ambitious idea, but I can't understand the point behind putting the Clio shell on the Audi floor plan, when you already have a working 4WD Audi TT.

just fettle with the Audi, make that faster and keep at least some residual value on both cars.

TT is a 51k cat d and clio is a high miler.. I was hoping that selling unused bits from both cars would help fund the project..

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
The TT engine should have some tinkering to make it a little better.

Is it a 225?

Can't beileve I've just woken up and you've travelled have the country for another lol. AndyRG might be able to help what box is on your current turbo?

I'd imagine getting the haldex 4wd drive system would be a lot of work if it's even possible.

I messaged Andyrg but he didn't respond so assumed it's not his cup of tea..

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
No idea. . The idea was to build a new car from 2 I have.. The turbo has a standalone ecu.. and is up for sale..

I like the idea, but have you really thought it through? The 180 TT engine isn't a great base to start with and would need a better turbo etc and haldex isn't as good as many other awd platforms?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I like the idea, but have you really thought it through? The 180 TT engine isn't a great base to start with and would need a better turbo etc and haldex isn't as good as many other awd platforms?

That's why I started the thread. I have owned the TT for years so I know it's genuine 51k and very strong. I realise more power will be required..

IIRC the 180 engines are the same internally as the 225, but with a crappy ko3s turbo and possibly different injectors.

You could go ko4 hybrid which bolts on, with a relentless mani, 3"dp, decated cat back and see 320-350bhp. You would ideally need a blue haldex controller to make all the hassle of fitting the system worth while though.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
True that.

in that case, don't bother IMO. It would cost absolutely thousands + alot of bespoke engineering.

This. Plus the 4wd in the TT isn't actually 'proper' 4wd. Haldex iirc.

You'd be better off buying something good on track with 4wd already (Evo, scooby a la Daniels) and then throw money on that to have it running good power / serious suspensions setup etc.

Cut the rear floor pan out of the TT and use that in place of the clio's. Then fabricate the transmission tunnel. Then work out where your going to put the steering rack. Then cut the subframe to clear the propshaft etc etc

Lol!

Genuinely though if you decide to do this I'm willing to help. But my talents will stop at dismantling, grinding and assembly lol

What you dismantling the kettle for?

Coffee comes already ground and a splash of milk 1 sugar will do ;)

It would cost a obscene amount to sort it all out. The ph1 looks like a good little bargain though.

Last edited:

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I figured the audi is worth 2k and the clio owes 700.. I'll probably get few hundred back for spares..
Maybe Mr Greer will advise Andyrg

Last edited: