ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential Clio 182 i am looking at. WR05 VNA

Evo 6
First of all guys Hello.

Also sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section for this topic, and If I have can a mod please move this thread to the correct section.

Anyway i'll get straight to the point to what. I have found a Clio 182 in black. Visually it looks decent and not too bad, it does have minor defects but what do you expect with a car that is 16yrs old and has over 125k on the clocks.

I have viewed the car two times and the dealer has given me a really good offer, however I have got my reservation on it! The car has a distinct metallic rattle only at a certain RPM range? Between 2k and 3.5k sounds like a heat shield? I did look underneath but couldn't see anything loose? I was also told buy the dealer its had Catcam 438??? (Paperwork was shown) So that could be the reason why it makes that noise? The dephaser and cambelt was also carried out when the cams were being installed.

So my question is.....Is that normal for a clio?

other problems nothing major are:

Bonnet Latch doesnt Open ( need to bang the top left hand corner to open)
Some minor dents
Driver Seats mech is broken
Clutch very HEAVY

Any info or light on this matter would be appreciative. Maybe the previous owner is on here and can shed some light on it?

Oh the car is based in Highbridge, Somerset.

On the hunt!
First of all guys Hello.

Also sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section for this topic, and If I have can a mod please move this thread to the correct section.

Anyway i'll get straight to the point to what. I have found a Clio 182 in black. Visually it looks decent and not too bad, it does have minor defects but what do you expect with a car that is 16yrs old and has over 125k on the clocks.

I have viewed the car two times and the dealer has given me a really good offer, however I have got my reservation on it! The car has a distinct metallic rattle only at a certain RPM range? Between 2k and 3.5k sounds like a heat shield? I did look underneath but couldn't see anything loose? I was also told buy the dealer its had Catcam 438??? (Paperwork was shown) So that could be the reason why it makes that noise? The dephaser and cambelt was also carried out when the cams were being installed.

So my question is.....Is that normal for a clio?

other problems nothing major are:

Bonnet Latch doesnt Open ( need to bang the top left hand corner to open)
Some minor dents
Driver Seats mech is broken
Clutch very HEAVY

Any info or light on this matter would be appreciative. Maybe the previous owner is on here and can shed some light on it?

Oh the car is based in Highbridge, Somerset.

A lot of those things seems par for the course with Clio ownership. Mine had a similar rattle when I bought it. It turned out to be the exhaust heat shields, which wear out around the bolt holes. It’s an easy fix with some larger washers and a quick tighten up. You can still buy the bonnet latches for around £60 for a genuine part. I’ve just replaced mine. And as to the heavy clutch, they are relative to a lot of cars. What have you come from before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evo 6
A lot of those things seems par for the course with Clio ownership. Mine had a similar rattle when I bought it. It turned out to be the exhaust heat shields, which wear out around the bolt holes. It’s an easy fix with some larger washers and a quick tighten up. You can still buy the bonnet latches for around £60 for a genuine part. I’ve just replaced mine. And as to the heavy clutch, they are relative to a lot of cars. What have you come from before?

Thanks for the response 👋🏾. This will be my first clio sport car and it's one I always wanted,so when I saw this car I wanted it straight away. Just the rattle put me off.

Also other things was the air bag light was on but no after market seats or steering wheel? The car was owned by a enthusiast and had the cliosport forum sticker, so I was hoping someone could of shed some light.

Well my current vehicles I have is

A Volvo 850r and a Evo 6

My recent vehicles I had were

E46 m3
E92 m3
Nissan s14a and s15
BMW e36 328i
Honda civic ek9
Honda dc2

My evo 6 runs a organic Spec racing clutch

Evo 6
20210710_162303.jpg
this is the car in question

On the hunt!
Thanks for the response [emoji1480]. This will be my first clio sport car and it's one I always wanted,so when I saw this car I wanted it straight away. Just the rattle put me off.

Also other things was the air bag light was on but no after market seats or steering wheel? The car was owned by a enthusiast and had the cliosport forum sticker, so I was hoping someone could of shed some light.

Well my current vehicles I have is

A Volvo 850r and a Evo 6

My recent vehicles I had were

E46 m3
E92 m3
Nissan s14a and s15
BMW e36 328i
Honda civic ek9
Honda dc2

My evo 6 runs a organic Spec racing clutch

A nice car history there. I’m a glutton for punishment. I’ve between alternating between Old Renaults and Lancias for the past twenty years!
160982073068cbbb9189b38070c0bb61.jpg

Evo 6
A nice car history there. I’m a glutton for punishment. I’ve between alternating between Old Renaults and Lancias for the past twenty years!View attachment 1547452

That looks stunning .

I just wished someone could shed some light on that clio😆. I mean should they make that metallic sound? It was my first time driving a French car.

The dealer did offer me a really good deal on it? I mean if it goes boom is there a market for them when breaking?

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
That looks stunning .

I just wished someone could shed some light on that clio😆. I mean should they make that metallic sound? It was my first time driving a French car.

The dealer did offer me a really good deal on it? I mean if it goes boom is there a market for them when breaking?
Heavy clutch could be a number of things, but was clutch cables on my last 182.
Metallic rattling is likely to be the exhaust heat shields, but impossible for us to say without some audio, worth looking under the rear.
Airbag light is very common for the wiring under the seats to be dodgy around the connectors, very easy fix, again well documented on here.

Evo 6
Heavy clutch could be a number of things, but was clutch cables on my last 182.
Metallic rattling is likely to be the exhaust heat shields, but impossible for us to say without some audio, worth looking under the rear.
Airbag light is very common for the wiring under the seats to be dodgy around the connectors, very easy fix, again well documented on here.

I've only test drove the car a few times and it definitely sounds like either;

Exhaust or top end rattle I'm just not sure. The engine was lumpy but I guess that's because of the cams?

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I've only test drove the car a few times and it definitely sounds like either;

Exhaust or top end rattle I'm just not sure. The engine was lumpy but I guess that's because of the cams?
I’ve not experienced a cammed one of these so can’t help you there, but plenty of people on here have I’m sure; they are fairly lumpy engines in general though. What sort of history is with the car?

Evo 6
I’ve not experienced a cammed one of these so can’t help you there, but plenty of people on here have I’m sure; they are fairly lumpy engines in general though. What sort of history is with the car?

Theres not really much history with the car, other than having its cambelt and dephaser done this year. Not sure about the aux belt or the aux tensioner?

It drove fine and I did push it as much as I could with the time I had, but the metallic rattle was only abundant clear between 2k and 3.5k or rev then disappear?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Just stumbled across this thread as well?? Not sure why there are two separate threads for the same car?

So if the car is £3600 and has limited history, whilst rattling. I would be walking. That said they do suffer with rotting exhaust heat shields so it maybe that. But with so many of them available why are you wasting your time just looking at one car?