ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential V6 Owner in need of advice!

Clio 17
Hello,

I am looking out for a new toy, hopefully a V6 225. I would appreciate it if any people who have experience with these cars could give me a few pointers as what to look out for. I read an article in EVO about the rear suspension bushes needing replacing every 15k miles. Are there any other little things like this that should be done regularly?

I did have a Lotus Exige up until September, it gave me no end of trouble, wish I'd asked for advice before buying it! :eek:

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

lol if you want trouble free ownership dont buy a renault :p

It doesnt say anything in the service manual about the bushes needing doing every 15k, so would assume if they need doing they would be covered under warrenty.

I'm in a similar situation. I've had a S1 Elise for the last 3 years and it's got to the stage that I'm bored with it. Me and the wifey went through lists of cars and the only thing that we could think of that could replace it was a V6. I've driven both the Mk1 and mk2 V's. They are both completely different animals to the Elise but similar in the fact that journeys are that bit more special than normal cars.

I think from reading various threads that coils are an issue on the Mk1, and gearboxes can be something to check. We are going for a Mk2 but this won't happen until the Elise is gone, selling this time of year is proving to be brilliant fun :(

You might know this place already www.v6clio.net

Clio RS 172 Ph2
I also read about the bushes, but my mk1 vee has done 50k and I'm pretty sure is on it's original set which are fine...

Coil packs definatley go on the mk1, and someone on here had a mk2 with coil pack failure just a week or so ago - so it may be something to watch for on the mk2 also. 3 of the coils are easy to change, the other 3 require removal of the plenum and makes it an expensive & time consuming job.

Clio v6
Hello and welcome to the forum little tom :)

I had a faulty coil pack within one week of V6 MK2 ownership. All has been fine since. Not heard about these bushes before now.

Renault Laguna Coupe
I've had my V6 255 from new. Done 12,000 miles in 14 months, and 8 trackdays.

Zero, and I mean zero, faults.

It's in for its first service today, for which I've been quoted £170. I expect it'll need brake pads so I bought some for the dealer to fit (£145 for a set of front & rear).

I cannot recommend these cars highly enough. It's pretty cheap to run too.

Renault ChaVio
I've not had mine long. I'm an ex-Lotus owner like Fandango will be and a few others with the V6 are.

Difficult to find a car after driving something like an Elise or Exige but I think I am where I want to be with the V6. Compared to a Lotus the car is well built and cheap to maintain. It is also much more practical but still has that feeling of something special. As the posts above I've heard a lot about coil packs, nothing about the bushes until now and some stories about the clutch and gearbox. If you are buying a MK2 chances are it will still be warranted which can then be extended for £500 a year if you are worried.

Clio 17
TomAllen said:
:hail:

its another meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

My dads Tom as well so that makes two more yous!!

Thanks for everybodys input! I have heard that they are reliable and the servicing and replacement parts are reasonable. i'm definately going to get one, just have to wait until the new year!

Tom

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
telford_mike said:
Zero, and I mean zero, faults.

I've had mine from new for 9 months and 7k miles, and whilst the experience hasn't been quite as wonderful as Mike ... all the problems have been annoyances rather than catastrophes.

Loving every moment of owning it ... even popping to the shops feels like a special event :cool:. Totally flexible car ... from comfortable cruising on the motorway ... short shifting around town and tickling it along in 6th at 35 mph ... screaming it up to the limiter in 1st, 2nd and 3rd and then realizing you're about to loose your license big time.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
telford_mike said:
I use mine every week for the Tesco run - no problem at all (as long as you don't take a passenger!)

And of course I use mine for trips to IKEA ....

Attachments

• I1.JPG
    I1.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 78
  Beetle
telford_mike said:
I use mine every week for the Tesco run - no problem at all (as long as you don't take a passenger!)
do you park in the parent and child bays to minimise the risk of scrathes? (not takin the weewee)

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
Scott-16v! said:
do you park in the parent and child bays to minimise the risk of scrathes? (not takin the weewee)

... and the face the wrath of somebody like me who's got 3 young kids and a f**king big 7-seater to push the cars of people, who park in parent and child bays but haven't got kids, out of the way :mad: ;).

I either take a suitably sized child with me ... or if I'm on my own park at the top of the car park where nobody else does and walk the extra few yards. Of course where ever I park I always use two spaces because *ahem* the turning circle is very poor and accidentally I miss the bay on occasion .... ;) ;)

Hmmmm, I wonder if you can buy blow up child seats. Ideal for those moments when you want to park in the parent/child spaces and want to avoid being koshed by an irate mother.

We've had ours nearly 2 years (Feb) and it's done 34k - trouble free I have to say, it has had front and rear pads replaced and tyres - apart from that nothing that has caused a problem. and of that 34k it's been round the Ring, Spa, Bedford and Brands.

:approve: