ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

POTER CABLE WHAT AMP PLUG DO I NEED??

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Rang a few DIY stores to enquire about 110volt plug and they have all asked what amp do I need.

16amp seems to be the norm is this the correct one??

Also seen an unit on e-bay that converts 240v to 110v and plugs straight into a standard socket.

This can only be used for a max of 45amps,would this work with the porter cable??

VaVa
You need a 110v 16A 3 pin plug and a 240v to 110v transformer.

I would guess that a piddly little motor that's in the PC would pull no more than 4-5 Amps, but don't know the actual power of the things.

Definitely nowhere near 45 Amp!

A 1.5Kw transformer should be plenty.

Last edited:
  RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Rang a few DIY stores to enquire about 110volt plug and they have all asked what amp do I need.

16amp seems to be the norm is this the correct one??

Also seen an unit on e-bay that converts 240v to 110v and plugs straight into a standard socket.

This can only be used for a max of 45amps,would this work with the porter cable??

16 amp, the bigger ones are gigantic (think it's 25 amp).

A converter socket can't handle it, you definitely need a transformer. I've forgotten now but I think 800VA is a safe level with a bit of headroom for a PC.

edit: 3.7 amps 110volts = 407VA. I know a sparky, I can't remember my Physics from school, but he said get something a bit higher, so 750VA is good.

You need a transformer. 750va seems to be the smallest available in the industrial styles.

Got the transformer but noticed this adaptor on e-bay and wondered if it would work thus avoid the need for the transformer..but I guess 45 amps is not enough.

I need to know what amp plug I should replace the exsisting American one with??

You need a 110v 16A plug and a 240v to 110v transformer.

I would guess that a piddly little motor that's in the PC would pull no more than 4-5 Amps, but don't know the actual power of the things.

Definitely nowhere near 45Amp!

Cheers mate I thought it was 16amp

Just ordered via e-bay

VaVa
Just found out on the net that the PC is only 3.7 A. So less than 500w. You could actully get away with a 0.75Kw one, but better to get bigger than you need to be safe, plus you can use it for more powerful tools if you need to.

EDIT - So has some one else. Doh.

Last edited:
Just found out on the net that the PC is only 3.7 A. So less than 500w. You could actully get away with a 500va one, but better to get bigger than you need to be safe, plus you can use it for more powerful tools if you need to.

EDIT - So has some one else. Doh.

Lost the link on e-bay but the adaptor said it could handle anything up to 45amps so it should work???

It's not just the current, it's the load on the circuit. A small current with a machine on it under load will blow up those sockets. 100VA for the socket, 407VA for the machine = burny smells after five minutes of leaning on the PC.

VaVa
It's not just the current, it's the load on the circuit. A small current with a machine on it under load will blow up those sockets. 100VA for the socket, 407VA for the machine = burny smells after five minutes of leaning on the PC.

I know. I wasn't suggesting he uses a socket adapter.

Last edited:

I know. I wasn't suggesting he uses a socket adapter.

:D I know, I think we were all posting at the same time and it got a bit jumbled. Was just trying to be a bit clearer.

Should have just edited the earlier post.:eek: