ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Powder coated wheel issue...

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Just before Christmas I had a spare set of wheels for my MPS refurbed and powder coated white. These sat in my garage until about 2 weeks ago where they were perfectly fine. They've been on the car and in daily use for nearly 2 weeks now, but they now seem to have taken on a yellow tinge to them.
Anyone experienced this before? Bit annoyed as I was just about to sell the car, but who's gonna buy a car with yellow wheels??

I could go back to the guy who did them, bit as it's been nearly 4 months since they were done then I think I'd be wasting my time.

It's not been driven hard so I can't imagine it's excessive heat from the brakes causing it. Only thing I can think of is UV?

I've also not used any kind of wheel cleaner on them yet either

Anyone think of a solution at all?

IMG_20190224_180809.jpg

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like they’ve not used a UV resistant lacquer.
I would try talking to them about it as it’s obviously not something that would show straight away anyway.
If you remove a wheel does the back still look more white? That may be the way you’ll need to demonstrate to them that this has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Sounds like they’ve not used a UV resistant lacquer.
I would try talking to them about it as it’s obviously not something that would show straight away anyway.
If you remove a wheel does the back still look more white? That may be the way you’ll need to demonstrate to them that this has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah the insides are still white. I'll drop him a message see what he says. Annoying as f**k

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Defo take em back. I've had an issue where my powder coated wheel has chipped on the first wash with my crappy little nilfisk! Powder coating is supposed to last so I'd be taking it back fo sho.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Take them back, definitely something a miss. My speedlines are still nice and white after track use, so a bit of heat in the brakes should not affect them if done properly.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Take them back, definitely something a miss. My speedlines are still nice and white after track use, so a bit of heat in the brakes should not affect them if done properly.

The fronts on my white speedlines have got a slight tinge of yellow after a track day. Not too bad though.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I'd understand (slightly) if I'd done any track days, but it's literally done 2 miles a day to and from tesco as Jackie has been using it

Clio Sport 197
I work for BMW UK in a powder coat and diamond cut wheel facility.
The lacquer itself is very rarely uv resistant that I’ve ever experienced, usually the basecoat itself is uv resistant.

Through experience, the only time we’ve had wheels go off colour is where a water based, non powder coat specific base coat is used.
The standard wet paint just can’t handle the final bake temperature.

Strange that they were not like it when you picked them up though.
Also very unlikely it would even be due to uv as it would take longer than 3 months for uv to cause any damage.

Maybe just get them reworked, could have been a off batch of powder!

Also highly unlikely that heat from driving or braking would affect the colour, as most powder lacquer has a final bake of 30 mins at 170 degrees and I’m sure there’s a slim to 0 chance the wheels have got, or will ever get that hot!

alexroberts0289

ClioSport Club Member
Have you tried polishing them to see if they improve at all? Appreciate it won't be a long term fix, but if you're selling it you may not be concerned.