ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Powder coating talk to me

Suzuki Ignis Sport
My alloys are in state but can't afford £300 to refurb them. (Quotes always between £200 & £300)

Im not really sure what powder coating is, and how it affects the wheel. When they powdercoat it, do they colour it too? Ive heard it weakens the alloy!

Want some opinions on it as thinking of having mine done tbh!

E46 M3, Clio 182
I prefer powder coating to painting as powder coating is thicker, therefore more durable against chips etc. Depending on where you go to get them done, they will have a variety of colours, usually costing circa £40 per wheel.

Can't say I’ve ever heard of it weakening the wheels though..

Suzuki Ignis Sport
The place ive contacted its £15 + vat a wheel! Or £22.50 + VAT for lacquer too. The heats meant to weaken the wheel I heard

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've seen wheels fail after being powder coated. Depends on the heat used and the wheel material though.

​its fine in most cases.

if they're done properly they'll be fine, they'll only weaken if they spend to long in the oven or if they've got the temperature set too high.