ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

power caps

lol that diagram is completely wrong!

put the cap before the distribution block (and you only need one block). just make a diagram of how your goign to wire everything EXCLUDING the cap. then just before you split any wires, place the positive terminal of the cap inbetween the cable and run a ground lead from the cap to the cars chassis.

ideally the cap should be as close to the amp as possible, ie a few inches.

just out of curiousity why have you got so many amps?

Nike Lunar Elite's

There are only 2 amps, they are suppossed to be going to the positive and negative connections, cant see what I have drawn up wouldnt work

Why do you need the distribution blocks as well as a power capacitor? I bought a cap and it connects direct to the battery and then i can run 4 amps directly off of that. Fairly simple to install too.

FAO Audio one - Why wouldnt you want caps? I thought the idea of the caps was to give the power a kick up the back side and even it out a bit before sending it to the amps, thus taking the strain off your battery from running more than one amp, plus if you have expensive amps you want them to be getting enough power so they run to thier full potential. Or do you know something different?

Polo + Micra

yeah i think what audio one was on about is that caps require charging

they will discarge into the amp on a low note but will then take power away from the amp to recharge

ideally an uprated alternator/battery combo is better

exactly..

You put in multiple amps which are drawing alot of current your lights start dimming on bass hits so you try and solve the problem by buying a power cap which also draws current from the battery... wheres the sense in that.

How many of you guys have upgraded the power cable between the alternator and the battery before you spent £100 plus on a cap..

The are a a bit of a gimmick in my opinion and we only ever fit them when the customer has been informed of the facts and 9/10 they only want them cos they have a digital readout...

paul

www.audio-one.co.uk

K20 EG Hatch

paul is deffo right. I have also looked into this and found that ppl with the more know how will agree that just a better battery is better and will help more than a power cap! But a better alternator and battery would improve it even more. I am just going to see how my car is with a better battery though for the time...

Ah i see your point now, i was obviously mis-informed by my local audio dealer then! I think he was just after more commision!

Cant say i have had any problems with my lights dimming ect when i get big bass hits though. It was only £80 though, and it is actually hidden under MDF boot install at the moment, so the LED is a bit pointless on mine.

Every now and then youll see a product emerge which is heavily pushed by the big audio companies, like caps,just to make that little bit extra money..

I have some big issues with certain distributors in this country that hold training courses brain washing sales guys into screwing every last penny out of customers wether they need the product or not.

offten a little background research will reveal how inadequate these miracle cures are.. http://www.talkaudio.co.ukwww.talkaudio.co.uk is the place to go to get some honest opinions on ice products, the guys on this forum dont hold back...

paul

www.audio-one.co.uk

Yeah the guys in my local audio shop are right wan*ers for selling you stuff you dont need! And i personally think they are a bit overpriced on most things. They all stand there, and it doesnt matter what it is they have got one in their bloody car. Yeah course you have mate!

Paul - is there something i can buy to hook up to my amp so i can change the settings from the front of my car. On my HU i can adjust the sub which is great, but i can adjust bass etc for my normal speakers from there too, but would like to be able to adjust the amp too as i tend to have all my settings on the HU set to 0 and then set the amp up for my bass/treble volume etc, so then i can just fine tune the HU to get the right sound depending on the music, but sometimes i could do with tweaking the amp, but cant as its in the boot.

I have a Genisis profile four by the way.

Cheers

Polo + Micra

its the measument used for capasitance (tells you how many electrons a cap can "hold")

[SI unit . thats the f**ker i couldnt remember:oops:]

a power cap has a positive and a negative terminal. why is the negative terminal connected to a distribution block and not to the cars chassis?