ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering BIG PROBLEM!!!!

clio williams, Ph1 172

I posted a message yesterday about this but now its become a much bigger problem.

Today my power steering fluid has pissed out everywhere, think its emptied the system completely as it has gone really heavy now. The fluid has gone all over the inside of the bonnet, onto the grille and over everywhere on that side of the engine bay. Dunno what it is. Could it be a pipe?? It had a new pump and rack on the car about a year ago and its not been driven hard.

Please help me someone as I cant afford a big repair bill at the moment!! Already in major debt.

Anyone around south yorkshire who could help me out?? Advice on what to do and pics would be helpful. Maybe someone to help me repair it too.

:( Very very unhappy Paul16v

BMW 320d Sport

Sorry I missed the first one, what happened yesterday? BTW mine pisses out fluid all the time, just not all in one day, but I have had days when its gone all over the bonnet right down to the grille. And I only just put a new pump in a few months ago!

Craggys in your area, but I dont know how good he is with power steering...You out there mate?

Once you get it fixed or at least make sure its not something going on down in the depths of the engine bay, what about attaching a pipe to the top of the ps tank so it blows the fluid out along that? You could have it just hanging down somewhere out of the way so it doesnt spray all over the engine bay. I keep thinking of doing that, but Ive just not got round to it yet.

clio williams, Ph1 172

It has gone all over the place. It was literally pouring out onto the floor from the front subframe.

I cant see where its coming from. Im wondering if its a pipe or something. It never used to leak like that before. It only ised to be a small amount that came out.

Is my best bet to take out the headlight on that side and start removing a few bits to give me some space?

know its not normal as the steerings gone extremely heavy and when i top the fluid out it goes everywhere.

BMW 320d Sport

Well Im no expert on steering, but theres not a lot you can do apart from start taking it to bits. Its seems almost certain that youve got a big leak somewhere. And even if its not leaking so much now, thats only cos youve lost most of your fluid already. It cant do any harm to take it all apart can it.

clio williams, Ph1 172

I just had a tinker with it. I used to test power steerin at my old work and it is usually something small that goes first. It looks to me like the fitting that fits into the pump is leaking. Its the metal pipe that goes into it that looks like it needs replacing as its probably all joined together. It goes pretty near to the inlet manifold. Looks pretty difficult so im gonna get a mechanic to have a look at it. I can see its that as fluid is bubbleing around the fitting when the steering is turned. The system must be pretty empty now.

I just get scared doing that as I know hell probably take the bonnet off and stuff.

Has anyone had their engine steam cleaned? Any problems after? I think mines gonna need doin after this.

Hopefully the bills not too big as i am v skint!

Also does anyone know how much the pipe is that needs replacing?

Trophy

Sorry im late Paul,

This exact same thing happened to me, you can tell by the questions i was asking you in the previous thread.

Its the little union just above the alternator on the pressure side of the system that has gone, there is no good news im afraid, apart from it being a right b*tch to work on the pipe you need (of which there are different types) will cost you about £110 from Renault. Nick Hill sorted mine out by modifying the pipe and it cost me about £150 all in, that included fitting a new alternator that i supplied and an alternator belt.

Try not to turn it too much without fluid in it as this will knacker your new pump, fill it up before you do anything else.

Mat.

there is power steering fluid leaking in my engine too, it whines very loud when i turn the wheel, its going in for a new pump on monday as that is what they guess it is, any one got any suggestions before it goes in?????

if the steering whines wen the wheel is turned, it means the pumps nakered, or there isnt enuff fluid in the system. the leak on my steering, was at the rack end. theres a group of 4 high pressure unions, that fit into the main body of the rack. now ren being smart, decided to make the main body out of aluminium(duh!!), so if u screw the union wrong, then the thread is stripped compellty. i wud say its highly unlikely to gt a leak from the low pressure side of the pump, as its gravity fed. its the unions and high pressure hose that leak. even on a 19 16v, its easier to sort power steerign with the engine out, so imagine wat its like in a clio!!!!

jimbo

clio williams, Ph1 172

Im not drivin it at the mo anyway. Gettin it done tomorrow i think.

Anyone got one of these pipes???

That exactly what went on mine renault couldnt get the pipe for ages, so i went down to plumb centre and got a 16mm olive what you use to make off gas pipes etc cut off the end of the metal pipe that had spilt put the bush back on the pipe then olive tightened it, not knowing what the result was and mines been ok it broke in may, if you any help on it let me know i found the crack by running water through the pipe in the kitchen sink i would check your pump too cos i run mine across donny town centre with no fluid and it was close to having a new one,

Trophy

Paul,

Dont think you can fix it and i only replaced my alternator cos of a different problem i was experiencing.

Mat.

clio williams, Ph1 172

Thats ok then mate.

Its gone in today to have it done. Just hope its not a huge bill. It wasnt the pipe leaking it was just the union thing as i could see it. My pump should be ok as i only drove a couple of miles with it leaking out and it was fairly new anyway (9months old ish)