ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering issue

Clio
We have a 2008 Clio. Whilst driving the power steering suddenly stopped working. However after stopping the car and starting it again the power steering returned.

Someone suggested it may be the battery, and so as it was on its way out anyway we changed it. But this hasn't cured the problem, and the power steering cut out again this week, only to return once the car was stopped and started again.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Have you pulled ECU fault codes?

Probably the best place to start.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if the battery is confirmed good and no earth issues its likely the motor at fault, as above the rack has its own control module so get the codes read.

EDIT: that above is assuming its a mk3 Clio which a 2008 could be either a mk2 or a mk3, if its a mk2 its likely the motor on its way out!

Clio
Ok, thanks. I bought a reader but this didn't return any codes. So possibly the motor then? Seems odd that switching it on and off again instantly cures it though?

Clio
Ok, thanks. No idea if it reads the power steering, I just bought one with good reviews off eBay. Plugging things into cars is all new to me, this is what I'm used to working on. No computers here!

Sounds like I need to take it to the garage then to get it plugged into a big boy computer.

FB_IMG_1650888544789.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, thanks. No idea if it reads the power steering, I just bought one with good reviews off eBay. Plugging things into cars is all new to me, this is what I'm used to working on. No computers here!

Sounds like I need to take it to the garage then to get it plugged into a big boy computer.
yeah generally those ones will just read the engine ECU, and even then they can be a bit of a hit or a miss with what they read, usually handy for diagnosing and clearing basic stuff though, still a handy tool to have in the box!