ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering pump

Lancia Integrale
Hi guys, need a power steering pump on my 172 cup :( anyone had any experience with fitting aftermarket pumps from the likes of GSF, euro's etc? Gsf doing one at £64 or am I better off spending more money? cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The high pressure line has a tendency to leak sometimes when undone and done up again when they get old, so careful you don't get a leak when you swap it over.

Lancia Integrale
The high pressure line has a tendency to leak sometimes when undone and done up again when they get old, so careful you don't get a leak when you swap it over.

That's what I was worried about but fingers crossed it will be ok :)

Lancia Integrale
Don't have to, but you'll add more time to the job than removing the bumper would take.

cheers bud! I hope the pipe will be ok when I try and get it out of the pump.. anything else I should be replacing while I am in that area?

172 cup, Impreza P1
That's fair enough- it's an annoying fault on mine- it doesn't work on idle when hot unless I give it rev's then it works, I guess the pump isn't producing enough pressure :(

Pump produces flow rather than pressure. Sounds like your pump internals are worn or the same in the rack creating too much clearance.

I would go OE replacement.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would fit EPAS and either just loop the pump via the reservoir or remove it.

the lines are starting to corrode on these cars now and the parts are getting worn, best just removed from the equation IMHO

bit of a ballache of a job though to be fair.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'm fitting a Citroen HEP setup to mine Chip. Cheaper and gives a proper weighted feel to the steering still.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm fitting a Citroen HEP setup to mine Chip. Cheaper and gives a proper weighted feel to the steering still.

Thats what Tony did IIRC.

I prefer electric columns personally as no fluid and also can be made adjustable.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I don't mind EPAS but I really don't like the eBay unit for on-the-fly variable control over the assistance. It's okay in the hands of someone sensible that puts the time in to find a safe medium but put it in the hands of a muppet who doesn't know any better and thinks its funny to have max assist at high speed is going to cause an accident.

If I fitted EPAS I would have to give it a correct speed signal via the ABS/CAN multiplex and that would be a pain. The PSA HEP setup just needs a relay switching a fused battery feed and some hydraulic lines. A careful buyer can have that setup installed for say £120 (I paid £38 for my used and working HEP with the hose unions) and most importantly you don't have to faff about with replacing the rack, subframe, column and all those other really nasty jobs on the X65.

Each to their own though as both setups aid the engine pickup.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I just use full assist for maneuvering and have a low level of assist when driving normally. I like that you can turn it down for wet conditions too.
You are right about it being a pain to fit though. Far from a 5 minute job IME.
Once it's done though the rack is solid mounted and also makes changing the rack in future very easy.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah the solid mounted racks are without doubt a great piece of forward design from Renault and you're unlikely to have issues due to mounting bush wear again but as you say its not a 5min conversion.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's a pain doing it and keeping aircon too. With either EPAS or HEP.
For now on the mrs car I have looped the pump via the reservoir but longer term intend to build an idler to replace it but not had chance yet.
If on cup setup at least the belt side of things is easy!

Lancia Integrale
Just a quick one guys and I probably already know the answer- but I'm just about to change my pas pump but found my sensor is leaking fluid into connection- would this cause the fault I'm getting?