ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power supply went bang

Megane Mk4
My main pc's power supply went bang last night, not bad considering my pc is nearly 7 years old, however... I'm just a little worried what damage could have been done, it was connected to the motherboard when it went but it wasn't connected to any optical/storage drives via 12v/5v power, only via IDE connections on the motherboard.. So I think (fingers crossed) I've got away with data recovery :approve:

So then guys what do you think? New machine or rebuild?
Any recommendations on a new pc would be good too if you suggest it. :)

Just change the PSU and see.

When PSUs go bang, you can usually just replace them.. depends why it went bang I guess.

I've had about 3 PSUs go bang in this machine and just replace them every time.. and at work, we've had loads, heh.. very rare they take the mobo out in my experience.

Megane Mk4
Fair plays .. I've just taken apart the PSU, the internal fuse is still intact, so whatever caused it to blow is still a concern.. Although, it's an 500w PSU running:
M/board with an AMD 1700+ XP CPU (O/clocked to 1.6Ghz)
6x Coolant fans (Inc CPU)
5x HD's (2 on SCSI) 3 on IDE
2x DVD opticals
4x different PCI devices
1x AGP card.

So chances are it's just through wear and tear, it's still dust free though which is a good thing so it's not that.. Maybe it's ran its life out :)

Clio 172mk2
have you checked the fuse in the plug, mine once went with a bang, but replaced fuse did same again , but the psu was quite a few years old ,

in end bought a hyper one about 70 quid

ValverInBits
I had one go (that'll learn me to buy cheap PSUs).

It ruined the onboard sound, but everything else was fine.

Better than yours. C*nt.
If it was a cheapy it has a chance that it's ruined the lot, but the more expensive ones tend to just die internally without setting the rest of the computer off...

You must have some serious bangs.. out of all the PSUs I've seen which have gone faulty, they've never took anything with them. Heh.

Better than yours. C*nt.
You must have some serious bangs.. out of all the PSUs I've seen which have gone faulty, they've never took anything with them. Heh.

Well you're obviously extremely lucky:

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

Dell PowerEdge 1650 with a power supply that decided it didn't like life.

Megane Mk4
have you checked the fuse in the plug, mine once went with a bang, but replaced fuse did same again , but the psu was quite a few years old ,

in end bought a hyper one about 70 quid
All fuses are intact. I did however get a nice big pile of smoke out of the back of the PSU, wasn't a cheap PSU, as said it's lasted 7 years so I'm not complaining about that. Just wondering if an investment in a new PSU is worthy of a 7 year old PC or if I should just throw money at a completely new machine.

Revels Mum & Sister

Nothing here either! We had LOADS die on a daily basis sometimes. Especially around thunderstorms that will teach you not to use a Surge protector LOL

Clio 172mk2
well depends if yer system needs updating , either cpu or main board went on mine on friday. so bought a lappy to set me on till i can be arsed to replace internals but i wouldnt go for owt too cheap. think that systems over 5 years old so its done me well :D