ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

preparing for snowboard trip

Megane 2 GT 165
Hi,

Next month I will be taking my car for a snowboard trip to austria, and I was wondering if there are things to prepare (car-wise) before taking it to the snow. I already arranged a few.

Bought micheline alpine mud/snow-tyres.
Going to change oil to 5w40 in the coming week..

What else should I check or do?

Last edited:
  Megane 2 GT 165
obviously I take a bottle of washer-fluid with me, but do I also have the coolant checked? (what temperature it is capable of?)

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Anti freeze isnt washer fluid. Check your fluid levels really, if it has anti freeze in then it should be fine id of thought.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
2 spare wiper blades
snow chains
de icer
tow rope
snow matt ( to wedge under front wheels in case of slippage )
Foot pump ( if u get stuck in snow deflate your tyres for traction - inflate when back on normal surface )
first aid kit
flask
blanket
mobile phone
flare gun
rubber dinghy
food

Oh - take your spare key with you as well

ValverInBits
I went to the french alps in my Mk1 16v, was a bloody brilliant trip and all that went wrong with the car throughout the whole thing was the drivers wiper arm came loose from the spindle, which i bodged back on with pliers!

I took 2 sets of really cheap snow chains. neither broke! Deicer is a good one. I went on 5W40 and made sure the coolant mix was 40/60 antifreeze/water. Also a bit of genuine low temp screen wash doesent go a miss.
Footpump and snowmat......your not leaving civilisation?? but then i spose it helps to be prepared.
Alpine roads are the fookin NUTS. my car felt like it was home. Absolutely built for that kind of driving

Megane 2 GT 165
Nice replies guys!

I think I got most of it already but not the snow matt / foot pump. I going to get my anti-freeze measured, so I know what temp it will freeze.

What's a rubber dinghy? If it is just rubbers... ....that I got sorted ;)

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Nice replies guys!

I think I got most of it already but not the snow matt / foot pump. I going to get my anti-freeze measured, so I know what temp it will freeze.

What's a rubber dinghy? If it is just rubbers... ....that I got sorted ;)

If your car breaks down you can blow it up, load yourself and your equipment into it and sledge to safety down the mountain ;)

oh - can of inflatable tyre repair ?

Megane 2 GT 165
Cool I will loose the old coolant and put in some new...can't be expensive. How many litres do I need?

@Matt Black: That inflatable sledge I can also tie up to the towing eye on the back, when I run some spikes it would be cool sit on!

Oh and any thoughts on snow chains! I run 195/50/15 on steel wheels with ET43....chains aren't a problem I guess?

ca 6 liter koelvloeistof (juiste nemen !)en gebruik Elf excellium 5W50 ELKE 10.000 km voor zomer EN winter !

succes waar ga je heen in Oostenrijk ?

around 6 ltr of coolant(use right one!) use Elf excellium 5W50 every 10.000 km summer and winter.

where you going in austria ?

Megane 2 GT 165
Hoi tonykart,

Ja Oostenrijk, net geboekt trouwens Hippach, vlak bij Mayrhofen 8 maart :)

Yes Austria, just booked the trip 8 march in Hippach near Mayrhofen. Skipass for 620km pistes.

Bedankt / Thanks for the info!

nice being to mayrhofen with all drivers (cliocup 2004-2005) invitation from RenaultSport had a blast over there....cheers and beers...

Megane 2 GT 165
So left 8th of march with changed oil and new coolant, the usual windscreen stuff, and as soon as I crossed the German border some RON100 fuel (In Holland ron98 is highest we can get).

The trip to Austria went great.
Making a pitstop.

dsc0204430wz2.jpg

The drive was about 1050km (650miles) but due to relax driving and traffic jams it took 11.5 hours.

After that it was indeed time for cheers and beers.
When I drive I only drink one beer.

dsc0207430cw0.jpg

Yeah it was a bit on the large size (3liters)

The dirt.

dsc0210430mg9.jpg

Some crazy cats were intrested in my warm bonnet the first night. Pawns were all over de car btw.

Anyway All went well and it was good fun playing with some audi's / bmw's and mercedeses on the German highway. With the Ron100 and the map from Henk it even went like stink in fifth. Tops was 230km/h on the clocks but that was due to traffic. (safe driving above all things)

BTW the 6000k xenon did their job well on the highway in the dark. Most cars made space.