ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Preparing the car for a track session - parts/equipment etc

Hey all,

I've finally got my Mk2 Phase 2 172 on the road and going ok. I've got a few niggles to iron out but above that I wanted to ask what I needed for a track session.

What parts would be useful to take as spares?

What tools would be good to take?

Do i need to have a full brake fluid/coolant/oil change before taking it to the track?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott :)

WRX
All depends how seriously you will be driving TBH. I would recommend an oil change (if required). It is quite possible to drive a standard car as long as you don't push it too hard and for too long. The mods I have on mine are Whiteline ARB, Eibach springs, Brembo HC discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads with ATE Racing Blue brake fluid. As long as you realise it isn't a fully prepped race car and treat it as such, you'll be fine. Just do 10-15 min sessions and a cool down lap and all should be ok. Take the same spares you would on a long journey. Oil, fluids, jack etc. I just treat mine with care as it has to get me home in one piece.

That is fantastic advise Adam. I've got H&R springs with TRW discs and pads all round. I'm using it on the road atm so no requirement for heat resistant brakes just yet. I think using a higher heat coolant and brake solution would help though. I'll add it to the list.

Kayzee. I shall be getting a tow ring added to the front for the session but a must have to the list.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Before next season I think I am going to give my car a minor overhaul, so it would be similar to things you should do really. I am doing an engine oil change, possibly gearbox oil change, brake fluid change and and a coolant change so its all nice and fresh ready for some abuse! :D

I will also be fitting a new set of Brembo HC discs up front and Ferodo DS3000 brake pads, I advise you go for DS2500's though.

I will be checking track rod ends and tie rods for play and replacing as necessary.

Take as many spares as you can really and things like cable ties and duck tape can come in very handy.

After a few days you can start to progress onto upgrades to suspension and tyres. Do it slowly so you can see what differences the money you are spending is making.

This is my thread it may help you.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ey-s-budget-track-sensible-ph2-project-thread

WRX
Just remember it is possible to do it on a limited budget, as long as you remind yourself that you aren't in a fully specced race car. Mine's predominantly my daily driver so I just give it a good 15/20 minute blast then come in and cool everything down. I only ever drive at about 90% for that reason and to be a bit more mechanically sympathetic. Obviously the more you spend on track based parts, the more you can abuse it but it's not a necessity.