ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Private car > Company car > Private car... any company keep the NCB running?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Hi so my brother had a private car for around 5 years and built up NCB the whole time... then stopped driving for a while, and eventually started a driving job. He had to leave his job around 6 months ago and is now looking to get another private car.

Thing is he hasn't had a private car insurance policy in over 2 years, meaning they won't recognise any NCB. However the driving job was within the 2 year period in which you must have insurance (he was obviously named driver on company policy)

Is there insurance companies out there that'll understand this situation and apply some NCB bonus or something? Hope that all makes sense!

Ford Mustang 5.0
Did he get a company car claims experience Letter confirming the 2yrs he drove for them were claim free.
If so we have access to bespoke underwriters they may be able to accept the combination

If he cannot get proof of the company vehicle driving then unfortunately i think he’ll be stuck insuring without NCB as it’s gone past 2yrs since his own policy.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Yes, not sure they apply all the reduction but some company's definitely take into consideration driving company vehicles. I had a company vehicle for about 10 years, altho they didn't apply a full reduction

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Did he get a company car claims experience Letter confirming the 2yrs he drove for them were claim free.
If so we have access to bespoke underwriters they may be able to accept the combination

If he cannot get proof of the company vehicle driving then unfortunately i think he’ll be stuck insuring without NCB as it’s gone past 2yrs since his own policy.

Thanks Greenlight, I'm with you guys on my Mini :)

He spoke to Aviva who said the same as you, they'd cover it with proof... but they said you'd need to be sole driver of the vehicle (he wasn't, shared it with another person) and also said he'd of had to use it socially for it to count too (he didn't, work only) are those things the same situation with you?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Bit of a bump for this.

My dad's just recently got his own car after finishing with a company car after 24 years!

He had a quote from AXA for £300 ish and supplied them with the letter from the company insurers saying 0 claims in so many years.

Turns out they won't accept it now and want another £400!

Can anyone recommend an insurer for a 58 year old bloke with 20 odd years company car history?

I would run quotes on confused.com or the other comparison sites to see what comes up (then expect a shitload of spam phonecalls :rolleyes: ).

Greenlight may be a better option.

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
I've had company cars for a few years now with private use on them but the insurers will not let me have proof of no claims as they say it is not offered, just glad I kept my own policies.