ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

private plate

Hi i want to put my private plate on my new car can i go to my local office and get it done there and then i know you have to wait for a transfer i have my retention document has anyone done this

cheers matt

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
The delay is caused by having to send documents through the post, if you frequent your 'local' DVLA office they stamp your documents and away you go!

go to local office as jamie said and it will be done in minutes.....think mine took no joke 5 minutes, remember to take your tax disc so they can issue you with a new one

Da

Less
When I went down they didn't do it over the counter anymore, I had to wait 7 days for the postal service. When were yours completed?

So what am i thinking about.? Im sure they stoped you doing something by going to the dvla office you could take it down but would have to wait for it to come back via the post

Da

Less
Yeah I did mine March this year. I took all the forms down which they then kept. 7 days later I received docs back via Royal Snail and I then sent my tax disc off as a new one was enclosed.
I think the counter transfer has ceased.

matt, just go down to local branch if it is well local and not to far and just ask, usually they have a general monkey standing at the entrance asking what you are there for

Cheers have had a look but it doesnt say that i cant do it over the counter i have been told buy a car salesman that they wouldnt do a transfer over the counter but would put a private plate on and give me a new tax disc there and then . I think the best thing to do is phone and ask the question

Cheers have had a look but it doesnt say that i cant do it over the counter i have been told buy a car salesman that they wouldnt do a transfer over the counter but would put a private plate on and give me a new tax disc there and then . I think the best thing to do is phone and ask the question

let me know how you get on matt as i will have to do same next month when 197 arrives

I will do when i got my 197 2 weeks ago i had the garage put my plate on retetion for me they paid the fee an extra £25 than a transfer. So i could have the car quicker because it could take up to 5 week to do a transfer so i have had the car with the normal plate for a bit and i could put the plate on when i was ready it might be worth it

Last edited:
Spoke to dvla today and they can do it on the day if they are not to busy and then you will receive the v5 through the post sounds good to me

Last edited:
just got back from the dvla done it over the counter got my tax disc v5 should be with me in 5 days drove home on the original plate you have 2 days to change them so going to put them on now im home job done wasnt as hard as i thought

cheers matt

RB 182
What do you need for getting it changed? Tax disc, V750 (retention document... do I need any insurance certificate with my current registration number on it?

No all you need is the v5 from you current car, retention document , your current tax disc they will give you a new tax disc with you personal number plate on it with a letter to say that is has been accepted then you will get your new v5 though the post