ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

problem with missfiring i think.

I posted this http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=204181 the other week.

The problem has not happend since then but now i have another problem.
when idling for a few minutes reving around 900rpm the exhaust is kind of popping. Sounds nice but can't be good:eek: . Is that a missfire?

My garage is fitting a new Map sensor for me tomorrow but I dont think that will fix it.

What else could it be? Im thinking the coils myself.
Is there anything simple I could look out for before I take it to the garage?

cheers again.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
The coil pack distributes the 'sparks' to each cylinder. It could be that it is under sparking a cyliner causing a misfire. It definately sounds like an electronic issue rather than mechanical.

Its only seems to be at idle tho, How much im i looking at to change the coils?
forgot to say the other problem I had the diag machine reported the map sensor at fault, could a map sensor cause a missfire?

to be honest it seems to be fine, today i even managed to go past 100mph on motorway because i wasnt paying attention to the speedo and this in a 1.2 haha.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
But electronic components can be temperamental, they can be fine one day and terrible the next without warning.

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
Don't i no it lol dam coils on 1.4 are rubbish i should carry 1 with me really had 4 in 8 months

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
Make sure your mounts are OK run your engine with bonnet up and check to see if it sounds normal

hehe thanks mate, is there a easy way to check which cylinder is missfiring? ie pulling spark plugs out one at a time?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
you can pull the leads up on at a time from off the top of the spark plugs you will hear it jumping across be care full with the leads though mate pull the plastic and the lead itself.

1.4 and 16 16v do mate 1.2s have a coil pack