ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with PMS aircon delete kit

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Found out today the adjuster bracket had sheared clean in two. Anyone else had this problem?
IMAG1927.jpg

IMAG1928.jpg

FF Clio 182
Sorry to sound like I am bashing PMS, I ain't as they've so many awesome products. I feel like this product really lets their name down. They are so crap and weak, so many people have had them and snapped. The 172 Cup setup is 100% the way to go....

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Known problem. Ordered another.

The solution is to set the tension on the adjuster then after doing up the two mounting bolts on mount as tight as possible just slacken off the tensioner slightly.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
For those that have had it happen, do they at least replace FOC?
I got told no, it's a motorsport part.
It's a really poor design. I understand that its had sections cut out to save weight but it weighs naff all anyway so why weaken it to the point it fails.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
I got told no, it's a motorsport part.
It's a really poor design. I understand that its had sections cut out to save weight but it weighs naff all anyway so why weaken it to the point it fails.
Uhm.....motorsport part should be a bit stronger right......what if that failed on a stage or track?
Would they say that to a competing customer?

FF Clio 182
I don't see the need the remove so much material to save weight. If it is machined steel it should be fairly light. You can save more weight by removing the loose change in your wallet before track ....

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the feedback on the aircon delete kit. Just a few things to put across from our side:
Tom, I assume it was you we sent the replacement bracket out to earlier this week? I Believe this had been on the car for some time and I said to you on the phone that had you recently purchased it from us and you had a problem soon after fitting then we would have replaced it FOC, but the kit was purchased second-hand (although new) from someone off the forum.
We have heard of the failure before sometime ago so we looked into what was causing it. So we tensioned the alternator and removed the bracket - the alternator remained tensioned without the bracket in place until we fitted back up again. From that I could only assume that the bracket was under too much load due to:
1. Either the belt is over-tensioned
2. The belt has been tensioned without the bottom bolt being undone
3. The bottom bolt hasn't been tightened up enough when fitted
I've just looked back through our records and the drawing for the tensioner bracket was done in Nov 2011, so looking at sales figures from then on we have sold 240 aircon delete kits of one type or another and I could count the amount of replacement brackets we have sent out on two hands (I'm in Cornwall, so 12), so as far as I'm aware it isn't like they are all breaking.
We never wash our hands of a genuine issue with our parts as we really do care about what people think, so if there is a genuine problem we will sort it out - if it turns out that in fact they are all broken then I will swallow my words and do something about it.
Our parts are designed, developed and sold as small batch, niche motorsport parts. We test everything as thoroughly as we can before sending anything out into the market place but our test regime is limited to very small amounts of parts on a very small amount of vehicles so it certainly doesn't compare to Renaults development budget (although they still get many failures, but we won't go into that as we'll be here all day)
Should you need one, the replacement part is cheap and easy to fit.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the feedback on the aircon delete kit. Just a few things to put across from our side:
Tom, I assume it was you we sent the replacement bracket out to earlier this week? I Believe this had been on the car for some time and I said to you on the phone that had you recently purchased it from us and you had a problem soon after fitting then we would have replaced it FOC, but the kit was purchased second-hand (although new) from someone off the forum.
We have heard of the failure before sometime ago so we looked into what was causing it. So we tensioned the alternator and removed the bracket - the alternator remained tensioned without the bracket in place until we fitted back up again. From that I could only assume that the bracket was under too much load due to:
1. Either the belt is over-tensioned
2. The belt has been tensioned without the bottom bolt being undone
3. The bottom bolt hasn't been tightened up enough when fitted
I've just looked back through our records and the drawing for the tensioner bracket was done in Nov 2011, so looking at sales figures from then on we have sold 240 aircon delete kits of one type or another and I could count the amount of replacement brackets we have sent out on two hands (I'm in Cornwall, so 12), so as far as I'm aware it isn't like they are all breaking.
We never wash our hands of a genuine issue with our parts as we really do care about what people think, so if there is a genuine problem we will sort it out - if it turns out that in fact they are all broken then I will swallow my words and do something about it.
Our parts are designed, developed and sold as small batch, niche motorsport parts. We test everything as thoroughly as we can before sending anything out into the market place but our test regime is limited to very small amounts of parts on a very small amount of vehicles so it certainly doesn't compare to Renaults development budget (although they still get many failures, but we won't go into that as we'll be here all day)
Should you need one, the replacement part is cheap and easy to fit.

Pure Motorsport replaced mine FOC when it broke, because it was less than a year old from memory. Although I can't remember the exact details.

However one thing I would like to question, is what would happen if it failed and the loose belt then got tangled up and took out the cambelt with it?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Mine had done around 3k miles from new assuming it didn't fail some time ago so it might have lasted a lot less than 3k miles. Yes I bought it second hand but the kit was new before I fitted it.

I didn't notice it had broken because the belt hadn't slackened off with the bottom bolt being tight enough.

I've got the new one in place now, thanks for the quick service as usual. I'm running it with no PAS now so the arrangement is slightly different.

Clio 172
I've had this happen to mine in the last week. Not a year old I don't think...
Repaired with Weld and a plate to reinforce it after I saw a replacement price of a bracket.
Followed fitting instructions down to a tee.