ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Products to protect red paint?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Are there any wax's that are worth getting to minimise fading?

Cheers
Mike

I think most waxes and sealants have UV protection in them. I don't think there needs to be anything else added.

Cheap good examples:-
AG HD wax
Zaino Z8 sealant spray

Either onevof the will give you protection from the UV rays just re apply them now and again.

Fiesta ST-3
Red? LOL!

We both know it's PINK!

Also, you can borrow some of my HD wax if you like. Doesn't take much out of the pot for a layer!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I think most waxes and sealants have UV protection in them. I don't think there needs to be anything else added.

Cheap good examples:-
AG HD wax
Zaino Z8 sealant spray

Either onevof the will give you protection from the UV rays just re apply them now and again.

Z8's the easy spray on wipe off stuff isn't it? Just apply after a wash?

I'll grab some of that I think.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I'm pretty sure Gally started a thread about the protection of the trophy paint. I'll try and find it.

Z8's the easy spray on wipe off stuff isn't it? Just apply after a wash?

I'll grab some of that I think.

Yeah.

Werkstat Jett is a good protection spray not to sure if has UV protection in it though.

AG HD will give longer protection over the Z8 if you don't want to apply every 6-8weeks.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Forget the Z8 it's more a finale top up product. It's immense but it's a show spray imo.

Werkstat is the easiest sealant to use. 2-3 layers and it'll not only look immense it'll protect.

Imo Z2 is one of the best because it's stronger than normal waxes.

If you really want it protected get it corrected a little and get some Gtechniq C1 applied. That's the only product that i'd be confident enough to apply and not have to worry about.

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c1-crystal-lacquer/

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
That C1 doesn't even have a price by it!

Cheers for the advice, I'll have a think about them. Hopefully gregs going to machine polish it then I want to seal it so need something in the next couple of months.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Haha. It's for professional use only but I could get you some. It's about £60 for a 15ml bottle iirc.

The bottle would do 3 cars probably. Although it'll last 2 years if washed correctly.

I personally would look at sealants instead of waxes. Just so you know.

Wekstat Jett or have a look at the Z2 system by Zaino. :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot about cyc selling it.

Infact i'll find Mat's Trophy thread after lunch.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Am I right in thinking most waxes and normal sealants provide little UV protection to stop fading? Apart from the nano type sealants of GTechniq, CQuartz etc

Nivea-Sun-Lotion-Spf-50-_S.jpg

I have a red car, tbh i didnt even think about fading when i first starting getting into the detailing scene. I do have Werkstat though so that covers me for that one.

Vics concours would look lovely on your thophy imo. Durability wise and UV wise not very good, looks wise brilliant.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Carlack nano, I like using it on plastic headlights, keeps the UV from damaging and going misty/crap looking

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Werkstat Carnauba is incREDible.

I've been using it this weekend.

(Lame phone camera)

85176cfd.gif

This is after one coat. I thought 'meh, it doesnt add much to the prime'. But now with every subsequent layer it gets even glossier and deeper. Should have about 6 coats on it by the time I have to drive it.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
That's what it's all about mate! Layers!

Looks immense mate.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Don't the kit mate glos is not needed imo. Better top up sprays out there.

Get the acrylic one. I only say this is because it's more durable. Carnauba will look better but only marginally.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Drastically more durable?
I doubt it will make much difference if I can get the layers into double figures...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'd probably say in Mike's case where he probably isn't polishing and waxing all the time, to go for the more durable one.

Ease of use is hard to beat otherwise i'd say go for AG HD or Z2 as they are more durable but not quite as easy to use.

I'm just lead to believe by PB that for durability acrylic is a little better, the reason being is it's based on Carlack's products so the Carnauba one is more for looks on flat colours.

Either or is fine and once you get layering it'll probably be fine, peace of mind I usually suggest acrylic.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers JD, was waiting on you popping in. Acrylic is very slick especially on prepped paint. :)

Wuv woo!

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
(Lame phone camera)

85176cfd.gif

This is after one coat. I thought 'meh, it doesnt add much to the prime'. But now with every subsequent layer it gets even glossier and deeper. Should have about 6 coats on it by the time I have to drive it.

That looks so shinney :D Might have to give it a try. Could you get some better pics up sometime too please, might sway it ;)

After several coats. I fell out with carnauba at first as it dried very quickly, leading to a re-correction of the bonnet.

IMG_0862.gif

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
After several coats. I fell out with carnauba at first as it dried very quickly, leading to a re-correction of the bonnet.
I can imagine that tbh, although its been perfect working in my garage in this temperature.

Mild, agreed. I stupidly did it during a heat wave, granted out of direct sunlight but it was still jolly warm.