ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project or not ? Advice needed ...

Clio 2 1.4 8v
Hi,

I know this has been asked and answered about 1000 times on this forum before so I'll try keep it short and sweet but informative. I am from South Africa and the whole Clio Sport vibe down here isn't much, if anything... Which is why I am posting here - hoping to receive some advice on what to do. Here's the deal, I have an old Renault Clio 1.4l 8 Valve as my first car ( I am 20 years old ) and it has +- 175 000 Km's on the clock. Not so long ago my cam-belt broke while driving and this had to be repaired along with the valves that bent/broke, this cost about R6000 to repair. NOW the problem is that with the high mileage the oil rings have worn out, leaving me to top up the oil at least once a week before hearing a knocking or tapping noise ( Not good I know :dapprove: ). Parts here in South Africa are really expensive for Renault and so to replace Piston Rings, Cylinder Sleeves ( if needed ), Bearings and Gaskets etc.. will cost about R5000 ( Excluding labour ). Also, my exhaust manifold is cracked and I am pretty sure the rest of the exhaust needs replacing too. I would like to keep the car as it does need a lot of work which I am keen to do myself as I go along in my free time off from Varsity - Until I get my degree and can afford my own new car.

Now, my question is;

Would fixing such a high mileage, worn out engine which doesn't have a full service history be worth it ? How much longer would the engine last before something else goes wrong ?

or

Would it be better to find a replacement engine from another Renault and fit it to the car ? Something like a 1.6 16v or maybe a 2.0 ? :evil: I know its going to quite a mission but in the long run I think it will be better to replace the engine. Which engines would fit into my car ??

Thanks in advance, David

53 Clio's & counting
Welcome David,

I think your biggest issue will be parts availability and help - if you wish to keep with your current engine, then a full rebuild will be the best option, but as you say other things are needed on the car also.

With regards to engine conversions, you have to remember you will need a whole engine, gearbox, ancilleries and possibly wiring loom from the car the engine was from - this may be an issue as you need to have someone with experience helping, if you do not wish to jump in and give it a go.

Bear in mind also, that with more power you will need to upgrade brakes and suspension to cope, and on an old car the more you remove, the more you will end up replacing, which can also end up very costly.

What year Clio is it? Do Clio's hold their prices well in SA? As it would probably be more finacially beneficial to possibly look at upgrading the car.

Hop that may help a bit

Clio 2 1.4 8v
Thanks for the Reply - definitely does help !

I am keen on jumping in and doing it all my self, things like building intake manifolds and exhaust manifolds really interest me aswell as I'm learning to do all the welding too. And I think I have all the info I need from this site and the internet in general. With regards to upgrading brakes and suspension bits - that is my plan - to make a bit of a hot hatch out of my first car :D

Clio's don't generally hold their value well no. My car is the 2000/2001 Clio 1.4 RT "Alize" with the E7J motor. I am currently trying to source a K4M engine, I believe the gearbox will fit straight - but will all the engine mountings and everything be okay ? I will get things like an aftermarket ECU system, wiring loom etc etc.