ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project S*** Box

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
So, having missed my 172 (but not too much, as the missus now has it :) ) I bought a black 1.6 16v Dynamique as a cheap runaround - I had been looking for a 1.2 or 1.4 but this one came up at a price I couldn't refuse, even with the extra tax and insurance plus it had working AC and all the auto gubbins. It was in a bit of an unloved state with a few scrapes and dents here and there, thus earning it the affectionate nickname S**t Box but it just needed a bit of tlc and some simple jobs doing and other jobs doing again, from where they had been bodged...

So, I figured out a major UCH problem, replaced the worn steering wheel and gear knob with some 172 Cup items in good condition, fitted some new bits here and there, fixed the ubiquitous sunroof leak and just got it working properly and reliably... of course, then the need to play about with started.

So, I decided that it needed some upgrades and got on with the research and started to look in to what I could fit off sport models. Turned out that the 182 Cup dampers should fit, so I sourced a full 182 Cup setup with front and rear springs, dampers and the offset front arms. After a test fit, I was happy with the 182 Cup dampers on the front, so fitted the springs and dampers all round. I also replaced a snapped ARB drop link and had it tracked up. What a difference - it feels like a proper car now (almost)!

Brakes needed some attention, so the fronts got a set of discs and Black Diamond Predator pads (I wanted to try them out on a road car as they were not much more than decent stock pads) and the rear wheel shoes and wheel cylinders; the latter being an annoying extra that had to be done. Not tested the Predators on track or anything yet but they seem to be acceptable on the road and with the modest grip from the little tyres, they're more than adequate, if nothing more. I may try them on the 172 next but have been satisfied by the Yellowstuffs on there as an allround pad, including a trackday or two.

Other thing I did was to get a set of 195/50R15 Uniroyal Rainsport 3s to replace some mix and match budgets on there. While not the last word in dry performance (as much down to the comically soft sidewalls on 6J rims), they are fine for what they cost, are comfy, pleasantly quiet and sure footed in the wet. I'd not recommend them to anyone after a true sporty tyre but for cruising about and the odd 7/10ths blast, they're just fine and leave some £ in the kitty for other toys.

Next step is to get the front arms and 172 front ARB on there (same diameter as the 1.6 Dynamique one on inspection @ 25mm) and finally, I'll get a sport rear beam on there to complete the set (RARB is 19mm vs 22mm / 24mm for the sports). More than likely get a 182 Cup beam for the 172 and then have the castoff from that. Should complement the 172/182 Cup suspension that's on there.

I was looking at Twingo 133 engine parts for the 1.6 but this was looking expensive, so I left that one and just took off the inlet damper box, allowing the engine to bark a bit more, even if the bite is acceptable at best. If I wanted more power then the obvious thing to do would be to get a 1X2...

Yes, this is completely pointless but for the pennies I've spent, I've enjoyed the spannering and it's a lot cheaper than anything on my Audi.

Only problem I have on it still, is that it sometimes won't brake in a straight line. I've looked at most things on it (!) but I have a feeling that the nearside wishbone bushes are a bit worn, although it's marginal. Will just have to keep chipping away at that one and when the arms are on there, it may solve itself... *may*. Any ideas on this one would be gratefully received.

Last edited:
  Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Back from holidays now, so I'll be cracking on with the final FARB and front wishbone swap and then sourcing a 182 rear beam. Quite interesting jumping in to the old girl after ahving a Renault Captur dCi for the week. Amazing how numb and hyper the Captur's steering was and how light the controls were compared to it's 11 year older relative. The upgraded chassis on the 1.6 has certainly been worth it though, as it felt really sharp on the way home and it's great that a car with a few more clunks and rattles can bring a smile back to your face. Looking forward to reacquainting myself with 370bhp of Audi soon too but that's a different story :)

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
So, had a little break from messing with this until I was forced to in January. The car had been losing water since I bought it, with no obvious source but only a little here and there but unfortunately, this got worse and worse until I had no choice but to do some investigation. A good look around the engine showed water dripping from the timing cover, so that pretty much narrowed it down...

A check of the cambelt receipt confirmed that there was no mention of the water pump, so it was time to start taking things to bits and seeing what was up. Several hours later, the engine had been up and down like a yo-yo, my knuckles were a little grazed and the cambelt, water pump, engine mount and aux belt were all off. As suspected, the water pump was the original Renault unit, so was 12 years old... The leak was from the 'gasket' rather than the pump but time to replace it all.

While it was all apart, it also became clear that the rocker cover was leaking as well as the cam end covers and so I decided to re-seal the rocker and also replace the thermostat housing gasket. Didn't realsie that the cam cover held the cams in; not seen that before after BMWs, VWs and Audis. Nice idea to keep the engine height low but not great if things get damaged...

When I took the cambelt covers off, there were the dreaded Tippex marks on the pulleys, so I was happy to do all the work and know that it was to my own satisfaction, rather than just thrown together.

The parts took a little longer to arrive than they should (ebay-tastic) so I cleaned things up and had a good look around while it was in bits. I then fitted all the bits and contacted lemonnobby1 on here, to get the it all timed up properly. No dephaser on this one but might as well do it properly. As per the 172, he was very helpful and came to the other side of Bristol to sort it all out for a very reasonable fee. Cheers Paul.

Anyway, all back together, not losing water or leaking oil and more. Lots of work but as it was only my time and £120 of parts, I didn't mind it. With the 182 suspension on there and the brakes sorted, it's enough fun to get me to and from work and I've just fitted a cheapo air filter on the throttle body, which has made it sound hilarious.

Still got the ARB and front arms to do and then I think I'll treat it to a little run on an airfield day, to test out what 110 chevals can really do...

10360829_10155098363510461_5776163765602949477_n.jpg

1504566_10155098363725461_537614799285911173_n.jpg