ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 LAN Gaming?

SchwepTek™
Me and my room mate both have PS3s but i have only just found out that you can't link them together via an ethernet cable. (AD-HOC) How s**t is that!!!

We only have internet through a proxy and PS3s are blocked so is there any other method or way round that we can play COD via system link?

Router + Wireless?

I actually have no idea.

*edit*

Should be able to have a router, and both go into that via ethernet/wireless and play each other. It's what we have done in halls with xbox/ps3. 1 Person has a wireless router set up in their room (ethernet from uni connection into router). This allows for general wireless applicatios arond the block (which is cool). Then we can all connect our xbox 360s via it and play against each other.

Should work for PS3 aswell.

Iceberg Ph1
Easiest way is to get a router (It shouldn't need internet access if the game is System Link compatable) plug both in via Ethernet and away you go, also the Ethernet to Ethernet wont work as you will require a crossover cable, basically a Ethernet which the wires are swapped over at the other end (easy to make, cut and patch together, Google will show you how) but you will have to manually assign IP address etc to each PS3 which isn't so easy and I can't for the life of me think what the settings should be.. Router seems the best options.

Edit: Looking through the manual for COD4 on my PS3 it supports LAN parties which means you can play without internet connections, I assume this feature spans all COD games on the PS3

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ye, if you wanna lan party just connect them with a crossover.. or am I over simplifying this ? more than 2 ps3's would require networking hardware but 2 should be fine.

SchwepTek™
Not sure.

Think I read crossovers don't work. Ps3s don't support adhoc.

Would a network hub work?

shwep.png

well try 192.168.0.1
subnet 255.255.255.0

on one and 192.168.0.2
and 255.255.255.0 on the other

you dont need dns etc as your not doing any dns requests

SchwepTek™
I've just read somewhere else that i do need a crossover cable.

I'll give it a try with standard done first.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
well try 192.168.0.1
subnet 255.255.255.0

on one and 192.168.0.2
and 255.255.255.0 on the other

you dont need dns etc as your not doing any dns requests

Shocking waste of an IP range there ;) :p

I would have went with:

PS3 1

PS3 2

But I guess that's just being pedantic as you are not technically wasting anything lol :p

SchwepTek™
Also it only lets me do internet connection settings and so wont let me continue without default router ip and DNS?!?

Shocking waste of an IP range there ;) :p

I would have went with:

PS3 1

PS3 2

But I guess that's just being pedantic as you are not technically wasting anything lol :p

bugger off he might want to add another 252 ps3's :p

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Also it only lets me do internet connection settings and so wont let me continue without default router ip and DNS?!?

If it won't let you continue without default router, set it to anything.. it's not like any traffic is going to be going outside of your subnet so it will never be a problem.

DNS same again.. put any IP in.

SchwepTek™
Both PS3s have the same everything apart from IP.

Guess i need to try a switch instead of the crossover.

185lb/ft dCi
i know, well i've found game consoles to be pissy when it comes to things like this so i wanted to see if he had made sure all the correct details were input before he goes out and buys some more equipment

185lb/ft dCi
the opposite devices, so 192.168.0.2's gateway should be the other ps3 which is 192.168.0.3 and that ps3's gateway should be 192.168.0.2

SchwepTek™
What is gateway?

On the PS3, i only have IP, subnet mask, default router, primary and secondary DNS

Octy VRS
A switch/router would do this for you if it's configured to issue IP addresses via DHCP. You will probably need to configure it to do this but it's relatively easy to do, setting the IP addresses up on the PS3 is quite easy too.

Settings --> Network Settings --> Internet Connection Settings

Custom --> Wired Connection --> Manual Settings

(for Speed & Duplex) Auto-Detect --> IP Address Setting Manual

Enter something like...

1st PS3 IP address 10.1.1.1 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
2nd PS3 IP address 10.1.1.2 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Doesn't matter about Default Router, DNS, etc.

That should be all you need to do for the two PS3s to see each other via a cross over cable.
OK just for the benefit of anyone else reading this I did manage to get everything linked up - but did not work with crossover cable, needed straight through cable, no idea why that is as crossover would have been my instinct as well but apparently not
uhoh.gif

Spot on with the advice on the manual IPs tho
thumbsup.gif
?
A straight through cable and setting the IPs manually worked for this guy.

SchwepTek™
OK i give up, now have a hub and still wont work.

Manually configuring IPs and it says SUCCESSFUL but in game, it cant find each other.