ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 Surround sound noob.

F82 M4
Hiya Folks,

Just wondered if someone can shed some light.

I've got a decent setup at the moment in the living room. I'm not arsed about my Wii or 360 and just concentrating on the PS3.

I'm currently running the PS3 to TV via HDMI only. I do have a 5.1 cinema system but it doesn't have an HDMI input or an Optical Input. Basically I need to get a new AV receiver so I can get 5.1 surround from my PS3 and s**t my pants even more playing Dead Space.

Anyone know of a decent receiver under 100 notes with Optical in?

I'm happy with my speakers so I only need the receiver.

Once I have one is this the case -

1) HDMI from PS3 to TV. Optical cable from PS3 to receiver

or

2) HDMI from PS3 to TV. Optical cable from TV to receiver ???

If cheap enough a HDMI receiver would be best!

Cheers

Subaru Impreza P1
You need to get off your arse and mow your f'ucking lawn first.

Option 2 is the right way.

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
can you not just connect an optical cable direct from your PS3 to your surround sound?? I'm sure thats what i do mate

SLK 350
Nope, option 1 is the correct method. You'll need to go through Sound setup and tell it to output via optical. 5.1 is all it will carry though, no 7.1HD - you need HDMI for that.

I'd suggest checking RicherSounds for a clearance/ex-demo jobbie, see loads for £100.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Option 1. But as above, you might get feedback.

This is why I love my Logitech Z5500 to death.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Option 1.

Option 2 will only output PS3 sound into the TV at 2 channels so after that, the new surround sound is useless. Optical from PS3 to surround amp will allow you to do 5.1.

Megane
You need to get off your arse and mow your f'ucking lawn first.

Option 2 is the right way.

Fail, option one is the right way,

But ideally, if you could up what you wanted to spend, you could run a HDMI into your amp (v1.3) then just have one HDMI lead running from your amp to your TV, could have all devices running into amp, and one cable out.

When amp is off, it acts as a repeater, sending signal to TV

I have this going on here, Sony Amp and TV means the TV knows when amp comes on, dims screen and allows volume controls as well as muting the TV

F82 M4
Fail, option one is the right way,

But ideally, if you could up what you wanted to spend, you could run a HDMI into your amp (v1.3) then just have one HDMI lead running from your amp to your TV, could have all devices running into amp, and one cable out.

When amp is off, it acts as a repeater, sending signal to TV

I have this going on here, Sony Amp and TV means the TV knows when amp comes on, dims screen and allows volume controls as well as muting the TV

How much for a HDMI amp ?

Megane
This one looks good at around £250

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Sony-STR-DG820/

Thing is it depends what stage you are at really, are you filling a gap before an upgrade in the future? Where does the priorities lie with your cash?

This is just a nice item to have, an optical AMP will do the same job, just reduces clutter, and has more features.