ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PS3 vs. X360

Lux'd Glacier White R26
All,

So with Xmas fast approaching, i'm debating whether to buy a Premium (core pack) X360, or should i hold off for the PS3?

I've always had Playstation's so apart of me thinks i should wait, and go for the PS3, but with it being delayed again (March 2007 i believe to be the new date?) i'm thinking X360.

What are the key differences between the two? Will X360 eventually get all of the Sony labelled games?

Is PS3 worth waiting for?

Pro's and Con's please guys! Help me to make a decision.

(This thread is in light of Lee's thread showing the PS3, and i do say, it looks amazing!)

Thanks, Tys.

182 RB FF
Just got back from the states on Saturday and saw somestuff about it on the news, basically people were amazed how good it actually is and that it wipes the floor with the Xbox, for me you've waited this long why not wait a couple more months?

dk

911 GTS Cab
i was the biggest sony fanboy, now i have a samsung LCD, a canon DSLR camera and a Xbox 360.

SOny are not what they once were, people have caught up now.

The only game I can think of that the PS3 has over the 360 now is GT and that was never a favourite of mine. 360 has Gears of war, halo and now will have GTA the same time as the ps3 so no having to wait 6 months.

Xbox live is amazing and there is no way that sony can match that after their ps2 effort, so for online games the 360 wille easily have it and from what i have seen so far on the games the ps3 will have to be pretty special to better it, the 360 already has a years worth of games development ahead of the ps3 so you will have to wait a while to get the same type of caliber games the 360 is currently starting to showcase.

The only reason i am getting a ps3 when its out is for a cheap bluray drive, and thats if its any good, i won't be getting it for its games, 360 all the way for me baby. And thats coming from someone who hated the original xbox and has always had sony consoles, i am a convert!

1.8 Civic EX
All,

So with Xmas fast approaching, i'm debating whether to buy a Premium (core pack) X360, or should i hold off for the PS3?

I've always had Playstation's so apart of me thinks i should wait, and go for the PS3, but with it being delayed again (March 2007 i believe to be the new date?) i'm thinking X360.

What are the key differences between the two? Will X360 eventually get all of the Sony labelled games?

Is PS3 worth waiting for?

Pro's and Con's please guys! Help me to make a decision.

(This thread is in light of Lee's thread showing the PS3, and i do say, it looks amazing!)

Thanks, Tys.

Premium Core Pack?? thats a new one lol!

They are different packs, one is a Premium Pack the other is a Core Pack...Premium is better....

IMO if you really want something new then get the 360, PS3 is far too overpriced....get a PS3 next Christmas and use the 360 till then....

Monaro VXR
Current gen PC's are not really more powerful. And wont be for a while yet. Graphics card in the PS3 is based on the geforce7900GTX with some changes to make it a little more suitable for the console. But there not cheap cards.

the CPU is massively more capable than what the current crop in PC's are though. Same with the 360 until quad core cpu's become adopted both systems are ahead of what a top spec pc is. Thats coming from a person with a very highly specified PC.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
the graphs will be minimal i am thinking and ure gona need a HDTV jus see anything anyway. I used to be playsation but 360 much better, plus better games, in Halo, gears of war, you wont miss anything, plus u will save like £200 lol

Every review i've now heard says the ps3 wupes the floor with the 360...
in all fairness its had an extra year to do so... so its a kinda unfair comparison.

All those who says.... Ahhh i dont think it will be... or its not gonna be any good.... "the bits i've seen are rubbish", i gaurantee have 360's and dont want to buy both... mayb a bit sour about it?

If they deny it.... mayb they're in denial.

Last edited:
  Leon Cupra R 225
Once I get hold of a PS3 I'll have both to toy with so won't be much point in arguing on threads like this. :)

Nippy white cup
I have always loved the PS`s but I have got a 360 and love it. Great games, great graphics and live is superb. Although you can't keep going on about the ps3 being so expensive...xb360 + hd DVD drive and your not far off. The ps3 games are looking much better now (Motorstorm is a good example) and the bad press is mostly by people who want Sony to fail because of their apparent cockyness....It's always nice to see the market leader fall off their pedestal.

If the PS3 had come out earlier I would have probably waited to see what it was like but the 360 does everything I want it to do and does it very well so I'll be sticking with Mr Gates for the time being :)

chris

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Rhino16v Premium Core Pack?? thats a new one lol! They are different packs said:
Lol, i meant the Premium, just wasn't sure if the word "core" was somewhere within its title! Haha.

Lee seems like a guy with a lot of knowledge on this; where is he!? I've heard that most of the games, if not all, will be available on the 360 at some point, but surely the PS3 (with its 1/2 year delay/advantage) will be better than the 360?

What the hell is thi Bluray crap? What does that do?

Tys.

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
I'm here, but there's not a lot I can say until we get the retail PS3 up and running. Anything I've seen up until now has been development software.

Bluray is the storage format they are using. Like CD/DVD etc. It allows for huge capacity. That's only of real benefit for movies. Should have some Bluray movies to try tomorrow.

(crap, I'm out the office for the next two days so won't be able to comment until I'm back on Thursday.)

I will add that the PS3 controller is like a worse version of the PS2 one. The Xbox 360 controller is massively better.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^ Doh! My GF wants to know whether to buy me the 360 or other stuff for Xmas.

Keep us posted Lee, and anyone else who feels they can give us input.

Tys.

in all fairness its had an extra year to do so... so its a kinda unfair comparison.

All those who says.... Ahhh i dont think it will be... or its not gonna be any good.... "the bits i've seen are rubbish", i gaurantee have 360's and dont want to buy both... mayb a bit sour about it?

to be honest sir thats shite

i had ps1 ps2
xbox xbox 360
snes n64 gamecube
mastersystem megadrive

and i will have the ps3 if it offers anything worthwhile over the 360 but we shall wait and see in about a year

1.8 Civic EX
I got this horrible feeling that Blue-ray will do as well as the Sony Mini Disc...will kick off and everyone will want one for about 6 months, then it will just be too expensive, no-one will bother and it will just die out....

Same as VHS vs Betamax

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

where are these reviews? www.sony.com ?:rasp:

Leon Cupra
You get what you pay for in gaming so I think I’ll stick to PC’s. The new 8800 cards combined with up and coming quad core processors will kick ass. You can’t beet a PC for truly smooth, fluid and detailed gaming although the Xbox is a good laugh when the lads come over for a beer.

Leon Cupra R 225
You get what you pay for in gaming so I think I’ll stick to PC’s. The new 8800 cards combined with up and coming quad core processors will kick ass. You can’t beet a PC for truly smooth, fluid and detailed gaming although the Xbox is a good laugh when the lads come over for a beer.

2nded :cool:

no you dont, you can spend more on a video card than a 360 and the bottle neck is that the hardware, mainboard, ram and CPU all need drivers to communicate properly, then added to that is the OS with 50'000 processes running in the background etc etc. Consoles have overtaken PC's in gaming terms and should remain ahead for at least a year on each release. 360 was DX10 when it came out, PC's have only just caught up, but with a PC you dont get 3 CPU's for gaming only.

no no no no no no no - i simply and utterly refuse to believe that an XBOX 360 is better for gaming than a PC - total and utter crap. Keyboard and mouse is the best combination ever where as using a conttroller to do the same is simply shite in comparison.

Also, the PC will be able to render (and can) graphics on a much greater scale than any console - consoles may have overtaken SALES of games compared to PC's but the quality of the games and the graphics provided are simply not as good. Its a fact. You just dont get half the features (Shader model 4.0 for instance) on a console compared to a PC.

no no no no no no no - i simply and utterly refuse to believe that an XBOX 360 is better for gaming than a PC - total and utter crap. Keyboard and mouse is the best combination ever where as using a conttroller to do the same is simply s**te in comparison.

Also, the PC will be able to render (and can) graphics on a much greater scale than any console - consoles may have overtaken SALES of games compared to PC's but the quality of the games and the graphics provided are simply not as good. Its a fact. You just dont get half the features (Shader model 4.0 for instance) on a console compared to a PC.

For FPS maybe but keyboard and/or mouse is w**k for everything else.

The reason i'd never bother with a PC for gaming is constantly having to either upgrade every couple of months or put up with a game running poorly or reduced resolution because it doesnt meet the ideal spec to run a game. If you have a console you can walk in pick up the game without having to trawl through a list of minimum requirements go home and get on with it.

Punto/Clio GTT
pc is the daddy for fps, keyboard and mouse will never be beat until virtual reality becomes mainstream and were sitting at home with a gun in our hands. everytime i wanna play a racing game i have to get the controller plugged in for the pc

Leon Cupra
For FPS maybe but keyboard and/or mouse is w**k for everything else.

The reason i'd never bother with a PC for gaming is constantly having to either upgrade every couple of months or put up with a game running poorly or reduced resolution because it doesnt meet the ideal spec to run a game. If you have a console you can walk in pick up the game without having to trawl through a list of minimum requirements go home and get on with it.

It aint quite that bad. A top spec PC will play games at a good standard for about 2 years before an upgrade is needed. But as I said you get what you pay for.

people are forgetting that exactly the same controllers including steering wheels can be used for PC racing games and other types

Monaro VXR

no you dont, you can spend more on a video card than a 360 and the bottle neck is that the hardware, mainboard, ram and CPU all need drivers to communicate properly, then added to that is the OS with 50'000 processes running in the background etc etc. Consoles have overtaken PC's in gaming terms and should remain ahead for at least a year on each release. 360 was DX10 when it came out, PC's have only just caught up, but with a PC you dont get 3 CPU's for gaming only.

The 360 uses an R500 generation ATI chipset which is DX9 based. Not DX10 based. The 360 still uses a version of windows 2003 server underneath it all. And still uses drivers loading into that OS. its just much smaller than the average PC OS as it has to do less. Also not sure how much you know about PC's? When you run a game the OS basically shuts down and suspends all the processes that are un needed in order to provide more cpu usage to the game. But at the same time the PC has more memory in which to keep those items loaded so makes little difference.

Visual wise theres a few games on the 360 that dont look as good as the current gen PC counterparts.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
likewise there are 360 games that would struggle to run on anything less than a £1000 PC

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
no no no no no no no - i simply and utterly refuse to believe that an XBOX 360 is better for gaming than a PC - total and utter crap. Keyboard and mouse is the best combination ever where as using a conttroller to do the same is simply s**te in comparison.

I used to do the PC games back in the days.. last game I played was C&C Renegade... I have a 360 now.. and would still say the mouse+keyboard rules FPS and God games.

Driving etc the console wins.. and to be honest after playing COD on the 360 a lot the controller aint that bad. Its true about the graphics etc though.. PC's are always ahead of consoles... but the downside is you have to keep upgrading to play the latest games.. with a console you just buy a game and chuck it in and it works.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I got this horrible feeling that Blue-ray will do as well as the Sony Mini Disc...will kick off and everyone will want one for about 6 months, then it will just be too expensive, no-one will bother and it will just die out....

Same as VHS vs Betamax

Minidisc is still used heavily in the professional audio market, for the record

Betamax was better than VHS
Minidisc is better than CD and
Blu-ray is better than HD-DVD..

So.. ye.. your probably right it will die out ;)

BMW E46 330i Touring
I've never been a fan of PC gaming, I just prefer turning on, putting the game (disc / cartridge) in and away you go, not having to deal with driver problems with graphics, sounds, resolutions, etc, etc.

As for the PS3, I think that, on UK release, it will be a better machine than the 360, but not better value for money and it certainly won't make the 360 disappear from view like the Dreamcast.

The Bluray vs HD DVD battle will be very, very interesting, with big companies backing each format. Whichever next generation disc format survives could mean success for that console too...

BMW E46 330i Touring
Minidisc is still used heavily in the professional audio market, for the record

Betamax was better than VHS
Minidisc is better than CD and
Blu-ray is better than HD-DVD..

So.. ye.. your probably right it will die out ;)

Whichever gets the best backing and marketing will survive, the other won't, regardless of quality.

MD didn't really last very long due to solid state music players and the explosion of MP3's, it didn't have any direct competitor at release, hence why it's still a viable option in certain industries / circles.

S-Max
Read in "PLAY" (Playstation magazine) today that Microsoft might be getting sole right to GTA series..... Perhaps another reason to stick with the 360?

93 rsi
the way technology moves 2/3 years bluray/hddvd plays, will be pence, so it wont be much off a differance, like now ps2 and xbox play dvds, but most people just use a dvd player, well i do as the 360 is too loud when running

dk

911 GTS Cab

Same as VHS vs Betamax
the reason vhs won over betamax was that the p**n industry went with vhs, this time the p**n industry has said it will produce both HD-DVD and Bluray so something else is going to be deciding factor. IMO, as with DVD+-RW we have proved that these days two different formats can survive in the same world, we will just have dual players in a years time and it won't matter which format you buy it on.

where are these reviews? www.sony.com ?:rasp:

i take it you have a 360 then?

Classic Symptoms....;)

to be honest sir thats s**te

i had ps1 ps2
xbox xbox 360
snes n64 gamecube
mastersystem megadrive

and i will have the ps3 if it offers anything worthwhile over the 360 but we shall wait and see in about a year

So its safe to say you'll be buying one then... ;)

and my bad.... was supposed to put a wink after the denial bit... just in case some people take me too seriously....