ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PS4 / Pro] Gran Turismo Sport

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It's not about selling more, it's about protecting their platform. It was Sony that was hacked on the PS3 through peripherals right?
Protecting their platform by antagonising the very customer base they are trying to extract money from?

It’s entirely idiotic - like refusing the HDMI output to Panasonic TVs because Sony has had a spat with them, for example. Push that too far and people start to walk.

What would appeal to the general consumer more? A console that could connect to anything including a microwave and the cat. Or one that does work with something. Maybe version 4 of a device. Possibly versions 2 and 3 - but definitely not 5 or 6. Version 7 seems alright though with a firmware update...

I’d be hand-signing the P45s myself of any pillocks that thought that was a good idea.

DCi
so you are saying derestrict the PS4 and allow any peripheral at the cost of letting the pirates in which obviously has massive consequences across the entire industry...

Protecting their platform by antagonising the very customer base they are trying to extract money from?

It’s entirely idiotic - like refusing the HDMI output to Panasonic TVs because Sony has had a spat with them, for example. Push that too far and people start to walk.

What would appeal to the general consumer more? A console that could connect to anything including a microwave and the cat. Or one that does work with something. Maybe version 4 of a device. Possibly versions 2 and 3 - but definitely not 5 or 6. Version 7 seems alright though with a firmware update...

I’d be hand-signing the P45s myself of any pillocks that thought that was a good idea.

What’s the deal with Sony and Panasonic then? How and who does it affect?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
so you are saying derestrict the PS4 and allow any peripheral at the cost of letting the pirates in which obviously has massive consequences across the entire industry...

Not at all. @Oggy172 sees the point I'm making below....

They could protect it though, they'd just need to sign/authenticate each device.

Exactly. Agree what is allowed and what will be transmitted in terms of data between the devices. But more importantly - whoever 'owns' the licence - do it at a sensible cost. Or even better - free.

What’s the deal with Sony and Panasonic then? How and who does it affect?

That was just an example that I was putting across to highlight an equivalent pettiness. Back in the day Microsoft had a beef with Logitech that made it so the latter's wheels were not supported. I tried it myself - connecting my G25 to the 360 and it had as much reaction as a dead brick.

The simply question in all of this..... and for what? No one in any corner benefits from it. Just plain stupid - the majority of protectionism is in the first place. Just ask the Aussies about their terminated love affair with Holden.

Listerine & Poledo

Just go buy a PC then.

And yes, companies want people's money, is that really a big surprise to anyone? I'm sure once Oxfam breaks into the console gaming market there'll be a change in how the sector goes about making their billions, but until then, it wont be changing fast

DCi
Not at all. @Oggy172 sees the point I'm making below....

Exactly. Agree what is allowed and what will be transmitted in terms of data between the devices. But more importantly - whoever 'owns' the licence - do it at a sensible cost. Or even better - free.

That was just an example that I was putting across to highlight an equivalent pettiness. Back in the day Microsoft had a beef with Logitech that made it so the latter's wheels were not supported. I tried it myself - connecting my G25 to the 360 and it had as much reaction as a dead brick.

The simply question in all of this..... and for what? No one in any corner benefits from it. Just plain stupid - the majority of protectionism is in the first place. Just ask the Aussies about their terminated love affair with Holden.
well they have to a degree, the Logitec G29 or whatever it is called, works. So it is possible for PS4 wheels to exist.

Sony's stance will be our device accepts peripherals that meet certain parameters, Logitec (etc) stance will be we couldn't have planned for those parameters for legacy devices or planned a way to update the wheels so it's easier to make new ones rather than invest in supporting legacy gear.

it'll obviously never change, the only thing that might happen is the peripheral manufacturers might start building in a way to update the wheel firmware to meet potential changes in future consoles, but whilst people just buy new wheels, why bother

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just go buy a PC then.

And yes, companies want people's money, is that really a big surprise to anyone? I'm sure once Oxfam breaks into the console gaming market there'll be a change in how the sector goes about making their billions, but until then, it wont be changing fast

I'm already Gaming Master Race all the way - I'd be insulted to be called anything else... :tongueout:

Of course companies want to (need to) make money. But in this arena, its just plain daft. Look at the below....

upload_2017-10-24_13-26-44.png

So we have the G920 that suits both XBox One and PC and retails at £330. We also have the G29 beneath that supports both the PC (yet strangely doesn't mention that) and the PS3/PS4 for guess what..... another £330. Bar a few button changes, they are the same fecking wheel!

So you have Master Race gamer who can pickup either, because his PC doesn't give a flying f**k what's connected to it - so long as the manufacturer provides drivers for it. But in Console Land, your choice is fixed.

Worse, it's not uncommon for people to own both consoles - or perhaps live with a flat-mate or sibling with the other console. You'd have to be a very special case indeed to fork out £660 for two virtually identical bits of hardware - simply because one will purely work with the XBox and the other with Mr. Sony.

"I really do love my G29 when playing Gran Turismo. But I have to buy the same kit again to play Forza on the XBox One? And detach it from it's base. And swap over an identical set of pedals?" Who's going to do that???

Want little perks like the rev/shift gauge on your XBox games? Tough s**t. We'll delete them off your peasant-spec-yet-same-priced G920.

There's taking the piss, then there's blatantly rubbing your nose in it.

DCi
I'm already Gaming Master Race all the way - I'd be insulted to be called anything else... :tongueout:

Of course companies want to (need to) make money. But in this arena, its just plain daft. Look at the below....

View attachment 1341957

So we have the G920 that suits both XBox One and PC and retails at £330. We also have the G29 beneath that supports both the PC (yet strangely doesn't mention that) and the PS3/PS4 for guess what..... another £330. Bar a few button changes, they are the same fecking wheel!

So you have Master Race gamer who can pickup either, because his PC doesn't give a flying f**k what's connected to it - so long as the manufacturer provides drivers for it. But in Console Land, your choice is fixed.

Worse, it's not uncommon for people to own both consoles - or perhaps live with a flat-mate or sibling with the other console. You'd have to be a very special case indeed to fork out £660 for two virtually identical bits of hardware - simply because one will purely work with the XBox and the other with Mr. Sony.

"I really do love my G29 when playing Gran Turismo. But I have to buy the same kit again to play Forza on the XBox One? And detach it from it's base. And swap over an identical set of pedals?" Who's going to do that???

Want little perks like the rev/shift gauge on your XBox games? Tough s**t. We'll delete them off your peasant-spec-yet-same-priced G920.

There's taking the piss, then there's blatantly rubbing your nose in it.
The market for people who want 1 wheel is small enough, but for people that have a need for either wheel is probably tiny.

Fiesta ST-3
Wow, came here to find out what GTS is like... This thread fails. Separate thread needed for chatting about wheels I reckon. What's the verdict on the game?

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Doesn't seem to specify at the mo.

I tried the decal uploader over the weekend, was pretty easy after downloading Inkscape.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Really enjoying this, it’s a lot better then I anticipated. Shame about the lack of cars, but the ones they do have look and sound great!

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
  • Mazda — RX-7 Spirit R Type A (FD)
  • Nissan — Skyline GT-R V・spec II (R32)
  • Nissan — Skyline GT-R V・spec II Nür (R34)
  • Ford — F-150 SVT Raptor
  • Lamborghini — Countach LP400
  • Ferrari — F40
  • Ferrari — Enzo Ferrari
  • KTM — X-BOW R
  • Suzuki — Swift Sport
  • Volkswagen — Samba Bus Type 2 (T1)
  • Chris Holstrom Concepts — 1967 Chevy Nova
  • Chevrolet — Corvette Stingray Convertible (C3)

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
GT League (Coming December 2017)
Launching as part of our free December update, we’ll be introducing a brand new single player mode called “GT League”. Based on the old “GT mode” of previous titles, players can now look forward to racing through a series of cup competitions from beginner to pro levels, and and even partake in endurance races!

Check out the screenshots below to get a sneak peek of what you can expect in December. We’ll be adding more races to these leagues in 2018.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Can you upgrade the cars?,all i can find is Alloy Wheels?.but then on the update it may have upgrades etc

Think it's just a weird scaling thing to make them more powerful. I've not seen anything like the old style upgrades.

997.1, Caddy, e208
Well, got my drivehub on Saturday, so I can use my G920 on this.
Sadly,need to wait until the new house before I can set it all up.

EdAwyoP.jpg

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Be nice if they did the upgrades like on the very old games,not the power thing that i cant make sense of.
Just keep to the old school mods i say.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
So is there any other Gt Sport threads on this forum or is this it?,just wanting to hear peoples views on cars,like there best Gr3,Gr3 cars?

I've only really used the Gr4 GTR properly. Easy to use with the aids off on wheel and controller. Not had chance to try much else fully.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I didn't even know the GT League was an update, lol! just got this for xmas and dived straight into it thinking this is mint, just like the GT of old.

I rate it already, little disappointed on low number of cars and no second hand trading like in older games, but to just jump in and play is just so much more entertaining then project cars. the arcade/simulator balance is perfect imo. always loved GT though tbh since the first one on PSX (which I still have!lol!)

yesterday played it for a fair while, saved up enough for the F40 which I then maxed with the miles points or whatever so its 735bhp and 990kg and went old skool laggy as hell boosting around, mega

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Bought this on release date and was really disappointed but after reading this thread, it appears they’re finally making it better.

May give it another go, add me if you’d like: iPhooni

Got this for Xmas and put it on today, update took a while to download but once I was on it’s mega - best looking racing/sim game I’ve ever seen.

Physics wise it lacks in some areas against the likes of AC and PC 1/2 but to just get on and play it’s really good. Currently halfway through the licenses and going to start racing tomorrow, just bought an RX7 to tool about in for rotary goodness [emoji7]