ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pulls to the left when breaking hard

Clio 172 cup
Please help

It all started after I wrecked the engine on the nurburgring, 18 months ago. Last lap before leaving for the hotel the 6th in the evening session I wrecked the engine, I was doing 9:10btg with painting going on at carrocel which made things easier for recovery.

Anyway the car at the hotel in Germany for 3 months untill I found a second hand engine on e-bay. Took it to Germany it fitted by renault at a cost of £1700 euro. It only cost me £750 for the engine. Great! car was ready, took it home and everything was fine I thought, booked my next trip the the ring and first lap on the old pit straight, hit the breaks and the car went spinning, came round and did a 180. I took the car to the local renault dealer they checked lots of things, not tracking, breaks appeared to be fine, not camber, wheels were balanced ok, no one knew. Its been over a year now and the car still does it, I have also had new pads and discs. I cope because when I hit the breaks hard apply a little opposit lock and its stopped fine, but not good enough to race. I do notice the the front right dips more under breaking, could it be the shock had gone?

Help the ring is calling, I'm going the 14th and 15th Feb.

If your car pulls under braking then it will most likely be the brakes at fault. Worn suspension components don't exactly help but they don't tend to cause a pulling under braking (usually easier to test for faulty suspension bushes under power).

What's the braking balance like? a quick test on an MOT brake tester would show left to right balances. Other than that has someone investigated the rear brakes for correct load/balance (not sure how the rear brake bias is controlled on a Clio).

I had a similar problem for a couple of years with my 205 GTi, on the road it was a bit unnerving braking from high speed but I became accustomed to apply slightly opposite lock progressively as I pressed the brakes harder. It was an inbalance of the rear brakes; bother appeared to be working and on a brake test machine there was a slightly inbalance but nothing major. It was down to a faulty brake compensator (it has one per rear brake line) that was stuck "open" so one rear caliper was working a lot harder than the other. The rear brakes on the Clio Sports look exactly the same as the 1.9 205 but as said I'm not sure how the rear bias is controlled, whether it's in-line compensators or load-sensitive ones.

I had the same thing with mine it turn out to be a brake caliper sticking on the front try asking at a MOT testing station about having your brake tested that who I find mine

PH1 172 Sport
Are the caliper sliders siezed on one side as I had this problem and it was down to that. Doesn't take long to fix.