ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

puma vs clio v6

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 04 March 2003

lol oh dear hairdressers car. The puma racing is excellent but would get killed in a straightline by a 172, let alone a V6.
Is your mate on glue ? Puma, faster than a 172

NOWAY !

A hairdressers car for sure

A racing puma will NOT beat a 172 around a track! It would be close but the 172 would win. I have raced many frps around tracks and they handle a LITTLE better, but once on the straight you go by with ease and pull out many car lengths which the puma will never recoup. You might get beaten if you have a complete 160 bhp dud of a 172 or are a crap driver, so I assume the people who say that a frp will beat a 172 are either crap at track driving or have slow 172s.

Bye Bye

Quote: Originally posted by weyland on 04 March 2003

A racing puma will NOT beat a 172 around a track! It would be close but the 172 would win. I have raced many frps around tracks and they handle a LITTLE better, but once on the straight you go by with ease and pull out many car lengths which the puma will never recoup. You might get beaten if you have a complete 160 bhp dud of a 172 or are a crap driver, so I assume the people who say that a frp will beat a 172 are either crap at track driving or have slow 172s.

Bye Bye

I think we genralise when we say track, cadwell park is twistie, where as dono, thruxton aulton park or power circuits, i still maintain that a FRP would beat a 172 round or cadwell.

Maybe because you have such an exoctic collection of cars, your driving ability and opinion counts for more than this mere mortal in his scooby !

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

Sorry Jonto I thought u said I FRP could beat a V6. As if anyone would ever think that ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Jonto on 05 March 2003

Quote: Originally posted by weyland on 04 March 2003

Bye Bye

I think we genralise when we say track, cadwell park is twistie, where as dono, thruxton aulton park or power circuits, i still maintain that a FRP would beat a 172 round or cadwell.

Maybe because you have such an exoctic collection of cars, your driving ability and opinion counts for more than this mere mortal in his scooby !

Well i can back him up on this, i stated the same thing earlier in the thread.

The FRP is very good but it was expensive and slow, its torque to weight ration is actually worse than a normal 1.7, just 100 foot pounds per ton.

-Rob

Maybe be i am a sh*t driver then, as i have said, a FRP stuck with us through redgate and craner, something 172s dont usally do, but hey what do i know, i only have 90 posts so no one listens to me !

I still maintain that a FRP would beat a 172 of V6 on a technical hanlding track like cadwell or mira etc !

Cheers

Jonathan

Maybe be i am a sh*t driver then, as i have said, a FRP stuck with us through redgate and craner, something 172s dont usally do, but hey what do i know, i only have 90 posts so no one listens to me !

I still maintain that a FRP would beat a 172 of V6 on a technical hanlding track like cadwell or mira etc !

Cheers

Jonathan
I agree with Jonto. They are a superb handling car, and a track without the need for top end power the FRP would give most cars a run for their money.

VW Potato

maybe ive missed something here - what is the engine size of the Ford Puma Racing, and what is its BHP please?

g

Cheers

Jonathan

Ive been humbled by people in crappy cars, like Capris!

I think a good V6 driver would have no problem, much faster, and RWD Midship is the ideal config on track, puts it power down much much better and balancing is easier. Your right on the 172 bit, would be close but from what ive seen and driven id say the 172 has it.

-Rob

Rob - maybe we will have to agree to disagree on this one, in all honestly i have no experience of the V6 at all, i saw one in a showroom and that is about it, but just fromvarious reports and "word on the street" is that certainly the mark 1, was a bit soft, twitchy and snappy, especially in that short wheel base, engine is mounted quite high up for mid engine too, apparently.

Word of warning though, show a bit of respect towards the FRP, they have handling that you wouldnt beleive !

Cheers

Jonathan

But theres always something about scary cars which attract you, isnt there?

I do like the FRP so respect is already there :)

There quick in a straight line, but the diffs dont let the turn properly, they are quick as f**k though, what about an MR2 turbo, they are scary machines, espicially in rev 1 or 2 form !

Yes saw many a crashed MR2 January time! I havent driven one though but ive heard the twin entry one is a handful! Id also like a drive a Aston V8 Vantage V600 but im in dreamworld..

those 1.7 pumas are sh*t slow i beat one by a lot in my 106 gti. They seem to handle similar to the gti tho, maybe the racing puma handles better i dont know.

The 1.7 Puma is likely to get beaten by a 106 GTi, but there are loads of 1.4 and 1.6 Pumas out there too.

According to this months evo mag

"......I was pleasantly surprised to be able to ease away from the boy Bovingdon in his 172 Sport......though I didnt see which way he went in that pesky Clio Cup upstart!"

Maybe thisll put a few myths concerning cup vs 172 to sleep.............lol

Im of for a kip in the freezer its nice and COOL in there..............

Basically if you want creature comforts, buy the std(if thats possible)172.

If u like it without the added extras buy the cup!!

I cant see that in real world driving that it makes a mega amount of difference!!

Stu 172.

Its there in black and white in numerous mags

The order appears to be as folows according to the general concensus - Im just quoting the more trusted mags like CCC, EVO, PGTi etc

172 slowest

V6

Cup quickest

Im off to the freezer again..................