ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

punto gt question.

ibiza cupra
my mate has a punto gt and is having a bit of a problem with it. a few weeks back we went out on a drive and whilst he was giving it some beans it poped and banged, cut out and the injector light came on on the dash. tryed to start it again and it started but was really struggling to tick over and wouldnt go over 20 mph. few minutes later it cut out again and wouldnt start at all. he had some one out and they said that i was possibly this fuel rail cap thing that goes on the end of the railthat has somthing to do wih the fuel pressure so he changed that but nothing. he was then told it could be the crank sensor so he got a new one, fitted it and timd it all up. whilst doing that his brother notied that the throttle position sensor was either on idle or top revs but no in betweenso he put a new one of them on too. so now it starts and idles nicly but when he goes to rev it, it coughs and splutters and pops and bangs and sounds like it is going to cut out. any one have any ideas because we are all out of them.
cheers.
oh and its a 1.4 8v turbo if you need to know.
cheers again.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Boost leak i'm sure. I used to have a gt. As soon as the car is put underload (boost) it will die/cough splutter. Probably a split pipe etc, might not be visible untill it splits under boost. Also check intercooler for damage. Happened to me once, big load of right foot, spool up then bang, nearly headbutted the windscreen. Got it back home by feathering the throttle lol

ibiza cupra
he has got a full samco and alloy boost pipe system, would that split easily? he hasnt really used it that much due to someone pouring brake fluid over it so he has been prepping and painting it all for a respray and getting new bits for it whilst its been off the road. it had only been on the road a few weeks before this happend.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Boost leak i'm sure. I used to have a gt. As soon as the car is put underload (boost) it will die/cough splutter. Probably a split pipe etc, might not be visible untill it splits under boost. Also check intercooler for damage. Happened to me once, big load of right foot, spool up then bang, nearly headbutted the windscreen. Got it back home by feathering the throttle lol

Oh, hellooo........ :cool:

Did your m8 get it sorted in the end? Never had the kind of problem you mention on mine when I had it.

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Boost leak I bet. I had it on mine.

Boost pipe to intercooler popped off.

Iirc, the Punto GT didn't have an I/C. It merely had a VHS cassette box made to look like one. ;)

The only problem I ever had with the plumbing on it was with the rad. After 70k miles it got shot to pieces and needed a new one sharpish.

D.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
he has got a full samco and alloy boost pipe system, would that split easily? he hasnt really used it that much due to someone pouring brake fluid over it so he has been prepping and painting it all for a respray and getting new bits for it whilst its been off the road. it had only been on the road a few weeks before this happend.

If its rubbing on somthing, yes

Golf GTD Mk7
surely samco would take a fare bit of rubbing to make a hole. and alloy pipe wouldn't crack. as said, all joins. If it's not that, could be electrical, sparks etc.

surely samco would take a fare bit of rubbing to make a hole. and alloy pipe wouldn't crack. as said, all joins. If it's not that, could be electrical, sparks etc.

Over the 2 years I had mine, I managed to rub through the long metal boost pipe the runs across the bottom front of the car, split some of the rubber ones, and then after replacing them with samco's, pop a few off at the joins.

It was running a steady 24psi of boost though lol. I think recommended was 19psi when booting it in 5th. Never missed a beat apart from that and the alternator though. And it's still going strong now my bro owns it.

ITB'd MK1
was it raining at the time it went funny? ECU is in under the scuttle and can get wet on Puntos. Common to wrap in a bin bag and tape up to keep dry

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Over the 2 years I had mine, I managed to rub through the long metal boost pipe the runs across the bottom front of the car, split some of the rubber ones, and then after replacing them with samco's, pop a few off at the joins.

It was running a steady 24psi of boost though lol. I think recommended was 19psi when booting it in 5th. Never missed a beat apart from that and the alternator though. And it's still going strong now my bro owns it.

^^^^ - a definite weak point. Mine was on its 3rd when I sold it.

D.

Iv had 2 gt turbos and had the same sort of problem on one of them. It was a block fuse under the engine bay, water gets in the fuse box and makes it go like that. Tell him to clean the fuses (wire wool) and spray them with electrical cleaner (not wd40). Should sort it out;)

Golf GTD Mk7
i am in the middle of doing this with my mate as we speak, just made the engine mounts up last night :) Rebuild the engine its going to be a animal, hes only doing it too beat my cio LOL

beat what clio? thought it was in bits now mate? on that note, what you bringing tracking next year :)

PH1 loads of boost!
i am in the middle of doing this with my mate as we speak, just made the engine mounts up last night :) Rebuild the engine its going to be a animal, hes only doing it too beat my cio LOL

Who would be silly enough to do that :rasp:

Does sound like a boost pipe is split or has come off. Also maybe the AFM, they give similar symptoms when they go and are also a weak point.

2005 Nissan Navara

I done one for a customer a couple of years back. Went well. Just rebuilt the engine with forged pistons, larger turbo etc, will be a monster...