ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pure Track 182 Geo set-up

Clio 172
Hi all
My Clio 182 is purely for track, and currently it's set to 1.5degree camber one side and 2.5degree camber other side with 10'mins toe I think (set-up purely for Snetterton as more aggressive cornering one side compared to other) but looking at making it more suitable for other tracks without having to change alignment every time.
What would people recommmend for settings instead?
Many thanks

Hi all
My Clio 182 is purely for track, and currently it's set to 1.5degree camber one side and 2.5degree camber other side with 10'mins toe I think (set-up purely for Snetterton as more aggressive cornering one side compared to other) but looking at making it more suitable for other tracks without having to change alignment every time.
What would people recommmend for settings instead?
Many thanks
Whats your tyre wear like? Even across the surface of the tyre? Find your getting them up to temp quick enough?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I run around 3-3.5 degrees camber depending on tyre, and around 10mins toe out.

Clio 172
Whats your tyre wear like? Even across the surface of the tyre? Find your getting them up to temp quick enough?

Tyre wear is even across surface, and tyres do get very nice and sticky!

I run around 3-3.5 degrees camber depending on tyre, and around 10mins toe out.

Many thanks for the reply! I use Dunlop direzzas:up:

Your braking will suffer with camber at different degrees either side the way the wheel will dynamically wont to toe in while under braking will be different.

Clio 172
Your braking will suffer with camber at different degrees either side the way the wheel will dynamically wont to toe in while under braking will be different.

Yeah that makes sense, as less surface of tyre in contact with tarmac in straight line.

Add castor. Reduces camber in turns and is often overlooked by near enough everyone.

Unsure what castor is as didn't get the print out when got the car, only got his word on what the camber and toe is. What would you say castor angle is ideal?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah that makes sense, as less surface of tyre in contact with tarmac in straight line.

Unsure what castor is as didn't get the print out when got the car, only got his word on what the camber and toe is. What would you say castor angle is ideal?
As much as you can get basically mate. If that means modifying inner arches/brackets to do so, then do it. You'll lose some wheelbase, but we are only talking a matter of mm, so unless you're some f1 driver, I strongly doubt you'll notice it.

Clio 172
As much as you can get basically mate. If that means modifying inner arches/brackets to do so, then do it. You'll lose some wheelbase, but we are only talking a matter of mm, so unless you're some f1 driver, I strongly doubt you'll notice it.

Okay, car is booked in Monday 7th November and they said to bring in details then of what settings I wanted lol. So maximum castor, & keep the toe at 10mins? And get camber set to say 2.5-3degrees?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Okay, car is booked in Monday 7th November and they said to bring in details then of what settings I wanted lol. So maximum castor, & keep the toe at 10mins? And get camber set to say 2.5-3degrees?
You'll need top mounts or adjustable wishbone bushes mate to adjust the castor.

Toe - 10 to 15mins
Camber - start at 3 degrees and see what the tyre temps are like.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
You can modify the ball joint bolt hole to give more castor, theres a thread on here on it. Titled got castor yo.
Cup wishbones have more castor than standard wishbones, on a 172 anyway. Unsure of the 182 specs

Renault 5 gt turbo
You'll need top mounts or adjustable wishbone bushes mate to adjust the castor.

Toe - 10 to 15mins
Camber - start at 3 degrees and see what the tyre temps are like.

Good point on adding castor.
We have Compbrake top mounts and modified them to get more castor.
Once you start adding castor, you can lose some camber.
Lots of testing and measuring temps if you want to get it right.

Clio 172
So this is the alignment set up After slight adjustment to right camber and toe.
IMG_2137.JPG

Clio 172
However from the looks of it, need to get some camber/toe shims to bring the rear toe from 20mins in/either side to more like 10mins or zero

Clio 172
caliper off, disc off, stub axle off and then refit but with shims in place.

Many thanks, do you hang the calliper from the wheel arch or get someone to hold it as the brake lines are solid/ copper lines into the calliper?

Many thanks, do you hang the calliper from the wheel arch or get someone to hold it as the brake lines are solid/ copper lines into the calliper?
Can you not just cable tie it from above if using solid lines, copper pipe will bend/crease easily if it drops. Someone holding it would be ideal but it took me ages to get the sub axel of as the bolts are a PITA to get to.

Clio 172
Can you not just cable tie it from above if using solid lines, copper pipe will bend/crease easily if it drops. Someone holding it would be ideal but it took me ages to get the sub axel of as the bolts are a PITA to get to.
That is what I was thinking, using cable ties or something to hold it up :up:

M235i / 172
You can modify the ball joint bolt hole to give more castor, theres a thread on here on it. Titled got castor yo.
Cup wishbones have more castor than standard wishbones, on a 172 anyway. Unsure of the 182 specs
Got a link to the thread mate?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Adding caster means that either you move the top mounts towards the rear of the car or/and moving the wheels forward via lower arms mods, in which case you will gain wheelbase not lose it right?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Adding caster means that either you move the top mounts towards the rear of the car or/and moving the wheels forward via lower arms mods, in which case you will gain wheelbase not lose it right?
If you move the top mount rear wards you’ll lose wheelbase. Increase castor on the bottom ball joint and you’ll gain wheelbase.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Moving the strut towards the rear will loose just a very very small margin of wheel base. I would do that first to gain caster as clios like to rub on the front part of the arch liner anyway 😀