ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Putting a trip computer in...

Chelsea tractor
Am I right in thinking that this would just a be contained in the (replacement) dash? Or is there anything else that I would need to get it to work? Sensors etc.

(I don't currently have one in case you were wondering)

185lb/ft dCi
on the dials mate? what car have you got an expression or authentique? i tested some dynamique dials for my expression and trip computer worked, calculated everything. wireing is all there!

Clio 2003
I have a 2003 model expression, and doesnt have a trip computer. If i were to get a replacement speedo cluster unit with the trip computer and a new stalk, would the trip computer work?

Also how much work is involved in replacing the trip computer... would i need to take the dashboard apart..?

Thanks.

Coiley'd Clio PH2
Interesting question.
If the mileage is in the ecu, that makes my life a hell of a lot easier!

Monaco 172
^^ lol i know why!

im pretty sure its on the dials as when thhey are sold on here they usually say "dials with 68k on them" etc

Chelsea tractor
Mileage is definitely on the dials! If you get a set of dials with a trip computer in, you just swap them for your old ones and it works straight away (dash off job though, but only takes about 10 minutes).

You can get the mileage changed fairly easily so that you can just do a straight swap and aren't deceiving buyers in the future.

Coiley'd Clio PH2
Lol Pete, yea im sure you do know why!

Gumby, swap for your old ones? Can you just swap the trip computer then?

Chelsea tractor
As far as I am aware, the trip computer is built into the clocks. So it's just a straight swap of the clocks in effect. Fairly easy tbh

Clio 2003
Thanks for the info. I'll try and get hold of some clocks with a trip computer built in and try to attempt changing them!

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
this then makes "clocking" them a piece of piss if you can get hold of another speedo from a scrappy for example. Doesnt seem right to me, but hey ho.

Chelsea tractor
Obviously get the mileage corrected before you put the new clocks in, otherwise you're a bit of a twonk ;)

185lb/ft dCi
mileage is definitely stored on the clocks, it will be stored on a sort of EEPROM i reckon. I want to know how the trip computer is attached to the dials, if its soldered on or plugged in. need to get the back off some dials to see how they were manufactured.

gumby, did you go to the geezer in sheffield? PM me if need be.