ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Putting handbrake on when discs are hot

Hi,

I have been wondering recently about putting on the handbrake after a drive when the discs are hot, how bad it is for the brakes? I usualy try to let them cool down but living pretty central in London I don't reallt want to leave it off even though the road is flat (i live 20mins from where i keep my car). They're not mega hot but they are pretty hot, the wheels feeling very warm and gennerally radiating heat. I usualy take it for a drive every sat but then drive back on the Mway so they cool down, but town driving makes them surprisingly hot.

Anyway, the question, does this damage them or are they designed to take this kind of use?

They are Brembo discs and Ferodo 2500 pads, which squeel like hell...

Cheers,

Alex

should be okay unless you have been driving it like you were on a track... although I only use solid discs now as I find the groved and drilled efforts just warp far too quickly

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
For normall road driving it really isn't worth worrying about, Track driving you should always leave the car in gear and the handbrake off, its just to stop the pads and disc from welding themselves to each other.

Most noticable on much higher powered cars, not so much on the Clios because of the very small braking power that happens on the rear.

Handbrake only works on the back.

Ah right...! I thought it was on the front two- that anwsers the question!

Er.....hand brake turn anyone?! :lolup:

If you're that worried you could always park the car in gear rather than on the handbrake. Thats what I do, as I found the rear brakes were bonding slightly if they were wet when I parked up - no big deal just bugged me.