ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question on EBC

I had my 18 k service a few weeks ago and they said my brake pads were 80% worn.... Dont wana buy standard stuff so was looking at some green stuff. Now they seem to do rear shoes and front pads but there is a choice of 4.... Can anyone help? its a 1.2 16v 2002

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I found EBC Greenstuff to be cr@p and wont have them again...

Either Mintex M1144s, Ferrodo DS2500s or Pagid fast road pads are similar price and better!

Oh nevermind, i wont bother going into what needs be.

I run std ferodos, 12 quid for the fronts, run 60 laps at goodwood no problems at all. I also dont rate greenstuff.

Dust, are you kidding me!

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 25 November 2003

1.2 16V pads = R5GTT pads

1.2 16V discs = 1.8/2.0 16V valver/williams discs
Its the same for all Dynamic and similar timed versions ie Extreme and Billabong

Also I think the disks and pads are the same for 16V, Williams, 5GTT and Dynamic models whatever engine.

EDD

Lionel Richie

im 100% sure because i fitted a set of brembo max discs meant for a GTT onto my car and they were too small (caliper and pad didnt cover the disc all the way to the centre and they sat proud of the disc at the edge)

IIRC the GTT uses a 240mm disc???? (guess from memory)

the willy/valver uses a 258mm or 259mm (again guess from memory)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I use std pads £12 bendix ones as the mintex ones squeak.

and ate power discs from ecp £50ish sommat silly (cheap)

Green stuff is a waste imho

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 25 November 2003

Oh nevermind, i wont bother going into what needs be.

I run std ferodos, 12 quid for the fronts, run 60 laps at goodwood no problems at all. I also dont rate greenstuff.

Dust, are you kidding me!
Im quite amazed at this as the only time I gave it some really heavy braking on the local bypass in the exs valver, I felt like I needed an anchor to throw out by the second roundabout! Didnt seem to like repeated stopping from 100! :confused:

And I agree that greenstuff are, um, pants. Dont seem to give off much dust, granted, but dont give any confidence either and if a granny were to step in front of you while the pads were still cold, shed be bouncing off the bonnet...

Ive been track driving almost all my life and i KNOW how to brake. People who experience brake fade on the rd tends to exhibit poor skill (not saying anybody here for christ sake before another nuke war starts off) and a reliance on the brakes.

The ONLY time i have gotten fade on std setup in ANY car was in a megane convertable 5 up and hooning it down the mountain side to the beach which is about 10kms.

Goodwood has braking along lavant straight which is 115mph to 3rd, then you have the chicane, then flat out. Its not the most demanding circut on the brakes, but with 20 lap sessions a poor serviced braking system would of been tested. Good condition fluid is more important for the rd.

Well main reason im buying Green stuff is the fact that they can take greater heat... Ive come off a motorway doing 110 and had flat out braking for a roundabout and my brakes faided.... Ill try the green stuff and if I dont rate them Ill let you know. Id rather just get 172 discs/calipers and put them all round but I not got that kinda money.

All Ive read say green stuff is good plus if I get even a little less brake dust on my alloys Ill be happy coz they are dirty straight after I clean me car....

Pads wont make a noticeable difference to your braking..the force and contact patch will still be lame. The only reason i got the EBC ones were because they last longer, are cheaper, and i get to clean my wheels less. Theres no need to go into techy issues about it.

-Rob

Thats a point i forgot to mention. I can get brake fade from my car..so a bit of a generalisation there Ben..but then you said changing gear and braking in a straight line wasnt how you drive on a track..so..

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 26 November 2003

You cant drive, i never get brake fade on my car.
I think the fact of the matter is I can drive thats the whole problem..... I can brake at the last minute, knock speed off as fast as I can controlled until i release and corner the car. Now thats the whole point of racing... Now you try 30 mins of flat out racing with heavy last of the late brakers braking and see if your brakes stop working and make over heated noise..... Im afraid if you have not experienced brake fade then you cannot drive... Or you just drive it to its limit and do not push the boundarys......

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 26 November 2003

I think the fact of the matter is I can drive thats the whole problem..... I can brake at the last minute, knock speed off as fast as I can controlled until i release and corner the car. Now thats the whole point of racing... Now you try 30 mins of flat out racing with heavy last of the late brakers braking and see if your brakes stop working and make over heated noise..... Im afraid if you have not experienced brake fade then you cannot drive... Or you just drive it to its limit and do not push the boundarys......

Fair play. The cant drive comment was aimed at rob. (because he cant, look at his car for proof ;))

Im off to push some boundarys ;)

Maybe my brakes are better, hence why i dont get fade.

Quote: Originally posted by Steve on 26 November 2003

Thats a bold statement! And you must admit that there is no way that you can drive like that on the road.

You are basically saying that BenR and many others like me cant drive as they dont experience fade. I have been in BenRs car and I think if you got in his car too then you would change your tune.

I have driven Silverstone International, Brands Hatch, Goodwood and Castle Combe and I am still inexperienced but there are only 3 major braking points on each track, so try carrying a bit more corner speed;)

16Vs dont go that fast on the straight, its not a bloody saleen! hehe

172, Tiguan

I once went round Goodwood with my Uncle (an instructor there ) and he only had to use the brakes at the end of the main straight.

not once did i get any sort of brake fade with my old clio (and i drive hard)

standard pads and discs after 12,000 miles

i have ebc greenstuff pads and discs on my saxo, and i hate them, low dust my arse, and the OEM pads seemed to perform so much better

lol with not meaning to draw an argument..Ben after all said he didnt mean to say people were bad drivers by saying it was impossible to get fade..

But i experience fade in most cars i have driven on the road. Im no schumacher but i have single seater experience so i know i can drive. Maybe its technique..i for example left foot brake..almost everyone else doesnt. Everyones driving style is different so youre not going to get the same results, tahts a given..frankly everyones opinion is unjustifiable so maybe we shouldnt be talking about it!

-Rob

Thats a bold statement! And you must admit that there is no way that you can drive like that on the road.
You are basically saying that BenR and many others like me cant drive as they dont experience fade. I have been in BenRs car and I think if you got in his car too then you would change your tune.

I have driven Silverstone International, Brands Hatch, Goodwood and Castle Combe and I am still inexperienced but there are only 3 major braking points on each track, so try carrying a bit more corner speed;)

16Vs dont go that fast on the straight, its not a bloody saleen! hehe
No im basically saying that if you drive on the roads with a lot of braking required and you drive like that for ages your brakes dont have time to cool and you get fade..... Uprated discs and pads help with this as pads can work at higher temps and the discs help desipate heat and the gas thats formed... Im not saying if you do a track day and you only brake heavy on one or 2 corners im saying if you use your brakes alot on the street where 40-50 mph is scrubbed off quite requlary... Not take one corner fast and stop i mean really aving it.....

Firstly, do you really need to come down a slip rd at 110mph then brake hell for leather so that you dont go screaming into oncomming traffic, erm no. Its you trying to be a superstar.

Brakefade WILL NOT occur IF you know how to use your brakes. Simply stamping on the anchors 15m before the corner then lurching off and pitching it in is definately NOT how to drive fast on the rd. You may be near A limit, but its deffo nowhere near the limit of the car.

Most FAST rd drivers are smooth, brake relatively early and smoothly and jsut keep momentum up, i can almost gaurantee your not going anywhere near as fast as you could if you just calmed down and read the rd. If you want to get into a "whos the better driver" fanfare thats your choice. I just dont wanna have to go check my trophy cabinet ;)

You CAN get fade on almost any car, wether or nor your going fast when your getting it is another matter.

And rob, how do you change down with your left foot on the brake? ;)

Lionel Richie

chaps calm down!!!!!

erm quick question, im on my 6th set of pads and 2nd pair of discs after 47K miles, do i abuse the brakes too much?????

Benr did I say I lurch into a corner? I do know about car ballance ya know... I actually am a smooth driver but if you brake later and make it stick id beat you everytime..... Most racing is won and lost on braking take F1 for instance... Even Touring Cars..... So give me that cant drive crap when im coming up your inside braking later and making it stick when youve just lost a position.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 26 November 2003

Firstly, do you really need to come down a slip rd at 110mph then brake hell for leather so that you dont go screaming into oncomming traffic, erm no. Its you trying to be a superstar.

Brakefade WILL NOT occur IF you know how to use your brakes. Simply stamping on the anchors 15m before the corner then lurching off and pitching it in is definately NOT how to drive fast on the rd. You may be near A limit, but its deffo nowhere near the limit of the car.

Most FAST rd drivers are smooth, brake relatively early and smoothly and jsut keep momentum up, i can almost gaurantee your not going anywhere near as fast as you could if you just calmed down and read the rd. If you want to get into a "whos the better driver" fanfare thats your choice. I just dont wanna have to go check my trophy cabinet ;)

You CAN get fade on almost any car, wether or nor your going fast when your getting it is another matter.

And rob, how do you change down with your left foot on the brake? ;)

That would be the art of swapping feet Mr Ben! :p

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 27 November 2003

chaps calm down!!!!!

erm quick question, im on my 6th set of pads and 2nd pair of discs after 47K miles, do i abuse the brakes too much?????

LMAO.