ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question on rev's

Clio MK3
Hi Guys:eek:,

I have a 1.4 2006 clio on 80k, and was wondering if I do the occasional 4-5k revvs in a gear, would I be damaging the engine? I have googled this and the answers seem very mixed so I thought I would ask here. The car has a full service history, last service in November and the oil is ata sufficient level and belts are in a good condition. Normally I will never hit over 3k rev's as I am normally in 5th by 30mph, and was wondering if the car needs a good blast once in a while to 'clean the cobwebs' as some call it, myth or truth? Might seem like such a nooby question but I don't have a clue about engines, so go easy!

Thanks,

Connor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys:eek:,

I have a 1.4 2006 clio on 80k, and was wondering if I do the occasional 4-5k revvs in a gear, would I be damaging the engine? I have googled this and the answers seem very mixed so I thought I would ask here. The car has a full service history, last service in November and the oil is ata sufficient level and belts are in a good condition. Normally I will never hit over 3k rev's as I am normally in 5th by 30mph, and was wondering if the car needs a good blast once in a while to 'clean the cobwebs' as some call it, myth or truth? Might seem like such a nooby question but I don't have a clue about engines, so go easy!

Thanks,

Connor.

I've been taught to take it easy on a cold engine.

As long as the engine has been looked after (oil, belts, coolant...) and has warmed up 4-5k revs shouldn't do any harm, the engine has a rev limiter for a reason and that's set well below the tolerances.

Ive heard the saying, "A red line a day keeps the carbon build up away".

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Once it's warm go for it. I redline mine a few times a week/day and have done for the last 65k. Engine is now on 106k and pulls very well and uses no oil or coolant. Same for my old 1.4 actually.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
When I had my 182 it saw red line nearly every drive.

Clio MK3
Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I will give it a blast every once in a while! (Well as fast as I 1.4 can go acceleration wise hehe) :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As Dan says getting the gasses flowing through can help clear out soot from the exhaust etc.

But wear rates ARE higher at high rpm, so an engine revved a large percentage of the time will wear quicker than one that isnt, but not like 100 times quicker or anything like that.

In short, let it warm up, then drive it however you enjoy it most and im sure it will last longer than you need it to :)

Cliosport 172 cu
I've redlined mine and got 120 out of it could of done more but misses was moaning it's to fast lol