ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

questions on a 16v ive just seen

none, just walk

im thinking about getting a valver i have just looked at- it was totally standard with a stack of reciepts totalling upto about £2.5k ish (all i know is it was a lot done on it) so that gave me a some peice of mind but when i had a go of it there was some things i was wondering:

1. the oil temp gauge was half way? is that ok?

2. the accelerator pedal seemed to have two levels of kick to it? when you put if down a little further it really came alive- (it hadnt been modified)-im complete novice so if this is normal take no notice.

3.the gear stick seemed to move when you accelerated, the gears went in ok and it wasnt jumping out of gear or anything is this normal?

the lad wants £1499 but im sending a aa mechanic down tomorrow to have a look then see what i should do-

this is the one below

RENAULT CLIO 1.8 16v, K reg.
Williams blue, r/c/l, clifford, full e/pack, T&T, hundreds of receipts, 10CD Disc, good condition. £1,495 . ono.
what do you recon?

should i haggle or walk away- i know valvers aint cheap if something goes wrong so id rather not buy a lemon without thinking about it,

im desperate for help please!

[Edited by bigpoppa81 on 24 October 2004 at 5:22pm]

Well im not gonna pretend i know about valvers cos i dont. Never driven one. I have a 1.4 RT a little way off from a 16v but anyway, my gear stick moves as i accelerate, just the torque on the gear (i think).

oil temp guage half way sounds allright, see what others say.

As for the kick with aceleration, it all depends on gearing and revs, But u get the biggest kick around 4-5k revs, same in my RT. there is a bit of around 2500.

Just thought id reply... see if my theories are correct.

Sounds decent tho.

accelerator is kind of two staged. the TB is like a butterfly wing. the first stage of the acceleartor only opens up the small top half, fully down or second stage it fuully opens and all hell breaks loose.

Oil temp was half way? how do you mean?

Did it jump out of gear or anything. Could just be the dog bone mount is a bit worn.

car? need a license 1st!

the oil temp gauge on mine runs about half way, never had a problem.

The gearstick jumps about when i accelerate, it does it in most front wheel drive cars, its somthing do with the gearing.

As for the accelerator, im not sure.

BTW i have a 1.4S clio mk1

thats a good price for a valver the oil temp is fine just as long as it dosent go much more over half way the accelerate pedal is fine there are to stages like dean RSI said so that is fine all gear sticks move about when you put your foot down just as long as it dosent jump out of gear which you said it dosent that is normal for it to move a bit if the AA machanic thinks its fine then its up to you but thats a good price for your first valver i payed £800 for mine

The oil temp usually goes up to about 100 under spirited driving and shouldnt really go anything above that. not under normal driving anyway

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Not stated the milage socant say if a good price but guessing K is a phase 1 and you could get a phase 2 for similar money.

Gearstick moving is probably the dog leg mount that wears and means the stick will move backwards when accelerating. About 50 quid fro a new uprated one fitted.

Main things to look for are water pump, cambelt, alternator, clutch which are all expensive ish due to the room in engine bay. Cambelt should be done every 72k or 5 years, whichever comes sooner.

if you can get a ph2 for 1500.00 chances are it will be as ropey as f**k.

if the jobs have been done recently then it will deffo be worth considering, i will reply more mate when i get chance (im at work) or wait till one of the valver experts get on here.

oil temp, accelerator and gearstick sound about right. I would check his receipts for the obvious stuff like cambelt been done on time etc. Would be helpful to know what milage its on so we can judge if gearbox is likely to need done but maybe thats in his list of receipts?

Sounds like a good price tho

Check for regular oil changes on the receipts, phase 1 is the better of the two. Phase 2 is a bit gay.

Brown coolant in the expansion tank is a sign of poor maintenance.

Noisy power steering and lumpy startup from cold, and i mean cold, all show signs of problems, though common, obviously more grief and money.

Also rust on rear arches, is there any or signs of any? Sunroof working, electric windows too?

Thing about the oil temp is you need to take it on a motorway to see what it sits at there. Mine is around the 100 mark though does shoot up a little more sometimes, much higher than that with magnatec oil.

If you are getting an AA report then it should have some interesting reading, they look at everything.

Please post details up, will be good to read

none, just walk

well its got 98000 all the elec works AND i checked the rear arches and they are fine i couldnt believe it- not a single bubble! (i thought it was the law to have that on a valver! lol)- the drivers seat is a little warn on the side but nothing too major, only concerns is the drivers side lock looks like someone has had a go at it so that will needed sorted and it looks like someone has keyed it along one side- but apart from that nothing i can see, the aa are having a look at it in the next 24 hours- it looks pretty professional cos they text me when its done and then they even email you the report (dont worry ill post if if you guys want to see)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by bang on 25 October 2004

phase 1 is the better of the two. Phase 2 is a bit gay.
What is that all about? lol

It all depends in what you prefer really. I have a phase 2 and wouldnt dream about buying a phase 1.

What makes a phase 2 gay? Comfier seats and white numbering on the dials?

What is that all about? lol

It all depends in what you prefer really. I have a phase 2 and wouldnt dream about buying a phase 1.

What makes a phase 2 gay? Comfier seats and white numbering on the dials?
seconded.

Phase 2 bump strips like a fiesta, rounded gay mirrors and a grill that gives the car a girly smile !

Rear lights nowhere near as nice and the badges on the bodywork instead of the strip..as bent as you like

Also heater controls much better design on the phase 1, better steering wheel too.

your phase 2 seats more comfortable than my leather ones then?..:)

Your right though does depend on what you like, i just think the phase 2 took the rawness out of the original design, made it less cult looking and more like everything else out there, specially the mirrors.

Each to their own and all that and i did put it in to get a reaction, glad you bit!

Ill have to say that i prefer the phase 1 look too - looks a little more mean...although the phase 2 grille does make a big improvement. I find the seats are better too...phase 2 seats are a bit williams wannabe for my liking... ;)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

the rear lights look so much better off a phase 2 - nuff said!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by bang on 25 October 2004

Phase 2 bump strips like a fiesta - Which fiesta is that mate? Look like phase 2 clio bump strips to me! lol Oh and the phs1 grilled ones are ugly as sin!,

rounded gay mirrors - Hardly gay but i do prefer phase 1s

and a grill that gives the car a girly smile - A nice colour coded grill which makes it look more classy? The phase 1 unpainted slatted one is gash! hense why most change it!

Rear lights nowhere near as nice - They look better IMO

and the badges on the bodywork instead of the strip..as bent as you like - It looks better again IMO. What looks better about badges on the body work? lol

Also heater controls much better design on the phase 1 - Whats Much better about the design? Are you educated? Do they do anything phase 2s dont? No! lol So what you meant was in your opinion they look better? I think they look outdated and gash

better steering wheel too - Has the same as my phase 2 as i have an early M so you have no arguement there!

your phase 2 seats more comfortable than my leather ones then?..:) In a word, Yes! They are basically the same seat but youll find cloth is a softer seat with more give therefore comfier. Leather is nice though.

Your right though does depend on what you like, i just think the phase 2 took the rawness out of the original design, made it less cult looking and more like everything else out there, specially the mirrors. Nothing soft looking about this:-

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1091783329__valver.jpg

Each to their own and all that and i did put it in to get a reaction, glad you bit! I always will

The Jinx

Fvcking hell. Even valver owners get narky.

I must agree though that the phase 2 is for benders.;)

The only thing Id change on the 1 is the grille. Everything else looks much better and not like some cheapo model revision to keep sales going whilst they design the next gen version.

As for the original question it sound smint mate. But do check the cambelts up to date. Is knock a couple of hundred off the price as well.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 26 October 2004

I must agree though that the phase 2 is for benders.;)

The only thing Id change on the 1 is the grille. Everything else looks much better and not like some cheapo model revision to keep sales going whilst they design the next gen version.
cheapo model revision - Nah they just took the best and thought long and hard how to make it better. Thus creating the Phase 2. They revised on what they thought they did wrong in the first place and made a better car.

Everything else looks much better - a few questions then:-

How do the side strips look better?

How do the back lights look better?

How are phase 1 seats better? Have they lumber support? Height adjustable? Maybe more support?

How are phase 1 orange dials better?

I think you guys just wish you bought a phase 2!;)

The Jinx

The side strips on the phase 2s look cheap. Sorry but thats just true.

The back lights bulge which doesnt fit the original lines of the car, and they have to stick a cheapo looking bootstrip on to blend it in.

Phase 1 seats actually hold you in better. Thats better for going round corners fast in not posing down the high street where comfort would be more of a requirement

Didnt know the ph2s had different dials so cant comment.

Basically the ph1 is the more "evo" of the 2.

none, just walk

well just got a email report off the AA advising me not to go for that clio there review comments were:

Unsatisfactory
Not suitable for purchase. Vehicle has significant deficiences which are judged to be impractical or uneconomic to repair.
Result Comments
Engine was warm on arrival preventing a full cold start test. Poor repair/damage to bonnet. Poor repair corrosion right rear wing. Damage right front outer wing. May not be economical to rectify all faults so classed unsatisfactory. MOT RECORDED MILES 9503 recorded mileage accuracy cant be verified by AA. Spare tyre devoid of tread on one edge.

these are sum of the highlights:

Engine oil leaks-The engine has areas of oil loss by crank pully and gearbox drain plug that need investigation.

Evidence of major impact damage repairs Yes
Poor repair right rear wing,bonnet poor repair and shows evidence of remove/refit has had a lot of painting.

so as you can see it needed a bit work cos it had accident damage off previously that i didnt see!- its happened to me before i let me heart rule the buying and i overlook the bad bits- i was gonna get a golf gti 16v before this and was all ready to buy untill i took a mechanic to look at it and low and behold it was a lemon- so i have nearly made to costly buys!

*sob sob* oh well back to the drawing board......"anyone got a vavler for sale for around the £1500 mark? PM if so.....:( "

PM me if you want to see the full report

are you blind?

they suit the rears shape better

How are phase 1 seats better?

Have they lumber support? Yes they do !!!!

Height adjustable?Yes they are !!!!!

Maybe more support? What are you disabled or pregnant?

How are phase 1 orange dials better? cos there not gay like your car !!! you big girl now put your hanbag away and go swap your motor for an old punto

i have a colour coded ph 1 grill.... i sprayed it myself..couldnt find a ph2 one in any scrappers...it does look quite good to be honest..

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

<SCRIPT language=javascript> I think the phase two looks more rounder and subtler than the phase one. Seats are bolstered more and hug better than phase 1. Rear lites match the rear end and flow into rear quarter better. Less boxy as units too. Rear strip looks better and flows into the rear lights too.Side moulding strips suit the car better and their size suits the car better than the thin phase 1s. Badge around side repeater looks gay on the phase 1 and the mirrors smaller.

Each to their own but do think the phase 2 looks more ocmplete especially with wheels. More roundish and co-ordinated and Phase 1 looks tougher but more dated.

[Edited by Matty on 26 October 2004 at 7:36pm]

Punto/Clio GTT

i find it funny how you can get from one bloke askin about if this clio is any good hes about to buy to arguin about which is better phase 1 or phase 2s. lol

to settle it, the phase 3s own em all, especially the clio 1.4s maxims

:D

FM

thats right gunnergibson, phase 1 rocks, you keep that grill and keep the faith.

youve either got it or you havent :)

Phase 1 looks tougher

yep sure does matey

Quite sad. arguing which phase of valver is better when it was simply a guy after advice on a valver he wanted to get. doesnt matter what phase it was.

Shame to hear the AA thought it wasnt worth it. Keep looking, there is quite a few valvers being sold. I dunno if the winter is the best time to be getting them (good cold start test tho). With phase 1 OR 2s being a good age they r usualy gonna have little probs, but If they have been looked after (all valvers will have been given a ragging tho) but if the engine is kept well u could get urself a minter, even for around £1500

Thats all i have to say really. Ill be in the same situation when i plan to look for a valver around the summer.

not sad, just having a laugh, dont you get it?

not all valvers have been ragged, rarely push mine over 4500, though of course its big smile time when i do.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by bang on 26 October 2004

are you blind?

they suit the rears shape better

How are phase 1 seats better?

Have they lumber support? Yes they do !!!!

Height adjustable?Yes they are !!!!!

Maybe more support? What are you disabled or pregnant?

How are phase 1 orange dials better? cos there not gay like your car !!! you big girl now put your hanbag away and go swap your motor for an old punto
Mate they are really good answers! I can now see that the phase 1 is far better. :p Did you go to school?

Anyway mate, lets see a pic of your lovely phase 1?!

Go swap my car for an old punto? What the punto thats newer than my car and your car and probs faster than them both.

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by bigpoppa81 on 26 October 2004
well just got a email report off the AA advising me not to go for that clio there review comments were:<FONT face=Arial>Unsatisfactory
Not suitable for purchase. Vehicle has significant deficiences which are judged to be impractical or uneconomic to repair.
<FONT face=Arial>Result Comments
Engine was warm on arrival preventing a full cold start test. Poor repair/damage to bonnet. Poor repair corrosion right rear wing. Damage right front outer wing. May not be economical to rectify all faults so classed unsatisfactory. MOT RECORDED MILES 9503 recorded mileage accuracy cant be verified by AA. Spare tyre devoid of <FONT face=Arial>tread on one edge. <FONT face=Arial size=2>these are sum of the highlights:<FONT face=Arial size=2>Engine oil leaks-The engine has areas of oil loss by crank pully and gearbox drain plug that need investigation. Evidence of major impact damage repairs <FONT face=Arial size=2>Yes
Poor repair right rear wing,bonnet poor repair and shows evidence of remove/refit has had a lot of painting. <FONT face=Arial size=2>so as you can see it needed a bit work cos it had accident damage off previously that i didnt see!- its happened to me before i let me heart rule the buying and i overlook the bad bits- i was gonna get a golf gti 16v before this and was all ready to buy untill i took a mechanic to look at it and low and behold it was a lemon- so i have nearly made to costly buys!<FONT face=Arial size=2>*sob sob* oh well back to the drawing board......"anyone got a vavler for sale for around the £1500 mark? PM if so.....:( "<FONT face=Arial size=2>PM me if you want to see the full report

TBH mate that doesnt sound all that bad to me. Rear arch repairs and crash damage are likely on cars of this age. Mines just had a new front end!

The only worry would be the oil leaks for me. In that condition and of that age I think youd be looking to pay nearer £700-800 though.

Have you had a look in our for sale section?

lol ok, get one up here tomorrow if i can.

Prepare yourself though, its not all soft and fluffy like your phase 2 !