ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick Detailers

BG 182
So, there are so many different QDs around it's difficult to know what is good, whats not good, what different finishes they give etc.

I've currently got a few QDs;

AG Rapid Detailer
FK #425
PB Spray & Shine (IIRC)
Megs Ultimate QD

The car was clayed/IronX/Tardis etc. Washed and given a going over with AF Tripple, and then I used some FK #2180 Sealant (Just had it in the cupboard and hadn't tried it out yet). After that I went over it with a few different QDs on different panels.

First; Meguiars Ultimate QD - £12.99

Reasonable price.
Spray head not very nice to use.
Seemed to smear when wiping on - Needed to be rubbed a lot more than expected to remove after only leaving on for 30 seconds.
Leaves paint looking glassy, feels smooth to touch.
Beading - Very nice!

null_zps21593533.jpg

Second; AutoGlym Rapid Detailer - £7.99

Very good price.
Spray head works nicely - Not adjustable though.
Easy on, easy off.
Paint looked glassy and felt very smooth.
Lovely smell!
Beading - Good, unfortunately I didn't put this on any flat panels so no flat beading shots.

null_zps6c5aeaf5.jpg

Third; FK #425 - (Only have a sample of this currently!)

Paint looked good - Not much different to the others.
Apparently has anti-static properties - Didn't seem to look any different to the other panels.
Beading, well.. Maybe because it's on a very flat panel? Doesn't look very good to me though.

null_zps3e8525ab.jpg

The PB I've been using for a while, but no pictures of this one. Love the bottle, adjustable spray top so more direct spraying or fan spraying. Good price and leaves a nice finish. Would buy again.

Maybe others could leave reviews of their QDs etc?

Honda & VW
Yeah however its not really showing off the QD, more so the LSP that its being put on top of surely?

I like the sound of a Thread dedicated to QD's as there are so so many out there however I think photo evidence is going to be hard to trust.

BG 182
Yeah however its not really showing off the QD, more so the LSP that its being put on top of surely?

I like the sound of a Thread dedicated to QD's as there are so so many out there however I think photo evidence is going to be hard to trust.

Not sure tbh. I see 3 different types of beading, on 3 different panels that were applied with 3 different QDs. All were applied with the same LSP.

I know it's not rock solid evidence, but I found it interesting. It's still raining here now, so will see how it looks later when it's apparently going to stop raining and get pretty warm..

Currently my favourite is the AG Rapid Detailer. For £7.99 it's brilliant, very easy to use and beading looks decent!

Think I might get some AF Finale and maybe some of that Sonax one everyone on DW is going mad for. Obviously some QD's are more like sealants, and this might show. Will carry on for a few weeks with the 3 different QDs and see how well they hold up.

Clio World Series
I've recently brought a AF final spray
Used it once so far very impressed with the results
Specially the shine it's lovely :))

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Beading doesn't really need to be tested mate. That's not what a QD is for.

Slickness, gloss and cleaning ability, finger prints etc are where they excel.

Honda & VW
Personally I tend to pickup Zaino Z6 more often than not, however after getting back my bottle of Finish Kare 425 recently (leant to my mother whilst she was trying to sell her car), I must say I do love the stuff.

One ive not been overly keen/impressed with DJ Basics of Bling, well certainly not on anything dark that's for sure

BG 182
Beading doesn't really need to be tested mate. That's not what a QD is for.

Slickness, gloss and cleaning ability, finger prints etc are where they excel.

True.. But must add something, as seen in the pictures?

Gloss - Pretty much all the same tbh. Think the Megs felt softest to touch, but not very nice to apply.

Finger prints - No one gets near my car! lol.

Honda & VW
True.. But must add something, as seen in the pictures.

If you'd applied to a panel that had no protection whatsoever you'd see different, possibly even no water behaviour to that of a protected panel that them had a spray of QD on it

You've said you applied the different sprays to panels that already had your chosen LSP on

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
After washing and drying it can be used. Or at a show. Remove finger prints even bird crap, really softens it for easy removal. Very light dust again mostly at shows for that last bit of bling.

There are hundreds or QD's and aimed at different areas, some with protection, some without, some synthetic others natural and can be filled with carnauba.

Anyway I have a collection. :eek: Matthew won't give me his sonus!

BG 182
I'm happy to admit I'm still very new to the detailing game, and not all that serious about it.. I don't even own a DA/Machine Polisher yet.

But, liked the look of the beading and wanted to see the difference between the 4 QDs I currently own :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Unless a QD has its own protection in it, the beading will also be affected by how well the it cleans the surface. Showing an indication of how well your wax or sealant is beading.

Take Z6 for example, one of the best QD's but does't add anything really to the water behaviour. Z8 on the other hand will bead very differently.

They can also be used for removing water marks for those living in hard water areas, or me they are a must.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely mate, a very nice "show" wipe down product for some extra looks. Lovely thing. I certainly wouldn't use it for protection but feels very boutique and it's just a lovely product as is everything from Zaino.

What do you want the QD to do?

BG 182
The Megs Ultimate QD apparently has 'Hydrophobic Polymer Technology' - Seems to do what it says on the tin though.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Used the z6 before and and got AF finale on the go, but looking for one with some top up protection

Demonshine 50/50 with water is a very cheap, very good QD well worth having in the box of goodies.

Z6 is my favourite though.

Audi A5
I've got the meguires QD. Brilliant bit of kit, just lifts any dust left on the car, very helpful as my cars black.

Mk3 P1 dymanique 16v
I use dodo's red mist QD on dodo wax and it smeers a little on aplication but just keep folding your cloth and is fine
red mist tho has caranuba in so maintains the wax layer i find it leaves a very smooth to touch finish and boosts up the shine a little
i gave mine a full detail just before easter and this is after a normal wash and finished with QD
null-4.jpg

null-6.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Red Mist isn't a QD just incase anyone gets confused. It's a spray sealant/protection top up.

Not the greatest product i've used.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You use it as a QD though mate. If it's just for drying or water marks i'd probably suggest something waterbased like Zaino Z6.

I'd fire Andy at CarPro Uk an Email and ask if maybe Hydro2 diluted would be better then maybe top with reload at a later date.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
You use it as a QD though mate. If it's just for drying or water marks i'd probably suggest something waterbased like Zaino Z6. I'd fire Andy at CarPro Uk an Email and ask if maybe Hydro2 diluted would be better then maybe top with reload at a later date.

Lovely thanks! When diluting, would you recomend de-ironised water or anything special? (I live in a hard water area)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah always use decent water mate. Just makes it a bit easier than using tap water. :)

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
Looking for a QD to maintain zaino Z2 as a drying aid/ dust-off, although i guess Z6 is the obvious choice i'm leaning towards FK425... is there anything else i should be considering?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Both are great chap. FK425 is a very nice wipedown product. One of the first QDs I actually properly bought.

I think Z6 has the all round edge and finesse.

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
Ok, just read the CQ rant thread, maybe hydro2 is the way to go since i CQUK'd my mum's TT last month...

Maybe both that and the Z6!

M2 Comp
I would go for Z6 (or Z8), both are brilliant IMO.

Just a wipe down after a quick wash gives such great results.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
AF Finale any good?

I'm in need of something as I have Tripple and Tough Coat I thought Finale may be the obvious choice.

Car is black if that makes any difference.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
finale is a good all round QD IMO. IS pretty easy to use, cleans well, removes hard water spotting and general water marks. and brings back a little extra beading too

Zaino Z6 and Prima slick are also good QD's that I've used.

BG 182
Poorboys QD+ is amazing stuff got to be the best avaliable I think personally and for around £11 can't complain I've used the meguiars ones and the auto glym but there no way near as good as poorboys. Leaves such a nice finish on the paint and lasts aswell I've even managed to get a few people to change to it :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
£11! Oh and it's not the best available. That may be your opinion though.