ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick Nikon query

Suzuki Ignis
It will work and should auto focus I think.
I was under the impression that the lens had to have the SWM(silent wave motor) inside but I sold a 70-300 cheapo sigma and the guy tested it on his D40 and it worked.
So Im not 100% sure really. Go to jessops, ask to test that lens on a D40, if it works buy it there or get it cheaper elsewhere.

Googling hasn't provided a clear enough answer, will this lens work (and auto-focus) with a Nikon D40?

http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=169886

As mentioned it will work, the key bit to look for is "AFS" with Nikon lens, or "HSM" if it's a Sigma lens, and I think "IF" for Tamron. Just to make it clear, almost every lens will 'work' just fine, but will be lacking autofocus without those designations.

Wouldn't worry too much if you ever buy an ultra-wide angle or fisheye though, manual focus will be extremely easy anyhow.

As mentioned it will work, the key bit to look for is "AFS" with Nikon lens, or "HSM" if it's a Sigma lens, and I think "IF" for Tamron. Just to make it clear, almost every lens will 'work' just fine, but will be lacking autofocus without those designations.

Wouldn't worry too much if you ever buy an ultra-wide angle or fisheye though, manual focus will be extremely easy anyhow.

There is also a few Sigma lenses that work which are not HSM, but APO. The 70-300 APO focuses.