ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick Spare Tyre Question

Combo
Got a puncture yesterday and told my brother in passing as you do.

Anyway, he said, how long have you had your spare tyre in your boot for?

I said it's never been used (brand new?) and he that I can't use it as it's too old.

Is this true? Do I need a new tyre on my spare?

172 ph-quick
no not at all as long as it looks in good condition, which it should if its never been used and fully inflated you'll be fine.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
hold old is the car??

it it the one that came with it??

rubber will perish over time, but if its not being used, and not exposted to the elements very much should last a fair while.

my gdads car nearly failed an mot because the tyre rubber had perished and cracked. was a 13year old car and the rears hadnt been changed tho.

Combo
About 8 years old.

It's never been out of the car, well, unless I'm undertaking a heavy cleaning session, and it's never been used.

The rubber looks in mint condition. I would understand if it was cracked but it looks fine.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ye will be fine, its when it starts cracking that its perished to a point that it needs changing.

most tyres run out of tread long before though lol