ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

quicker car or mod

Mazda MX5 1.8

basically ive got a decision to make.....

mod my 1.6 16v with coilovers/zorst/etc etc

or buy a faster car (182 i guess or a 1.8T vag) which will cost more in insurance & buy & maintain/run (my car will do over 50mpg at the mo) so wont have as much money to mod

now modding has always been a sort of thing that i say "ill make it look/sound mint next summers shows" but i never do

the problem is that my mates all (apart from 1 or 2) have faster cars (1.8T for example) so i obv wont be able to keep up with them as it is now but i could i guess with coilovers around the bends

i know its one of those questions i guess i have to make but i soooooooo cant decide

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Im in exactly the same frame of mind chris. I to am struggling to decided. Think im going to mod the 1.6 up with some enigne mods, get it to 130-140Bhp. But then the insurance will be more, and when i come to sell it mods will be worthless. Or get a 182, or a seat ibiza cupra 180. But i enjoy modding cars, so 1.6 would be fun, but then i could mod the 182. Is a hard choice, change my mind everyday. lol. But liking the idea of the individuality of modding the 1.6 as there so rare, compared to the now relatively common 182.

Get a 2ltr.

The 1.6 can make some rather good power, but to get anywhere near it you need to spend some mad money to support the rpm required.

Best to upgrade mate! Modding always F$CKS insurance premiums anyway! youll always get better performance from stock 182 than u will from modded 1.6 etc. unless u spend stupid amounts.

Coilovers an noise ie exhaust Ik etc are about the only mods Id personally bother about.

I wouldnt bother trying to beat or keep with your mates a slow car wont be that much slower than a very fast car round the bends.

If you want to tune an engine for stright line power get something suitable in the first place, N/A isnt good for cheap power mods turbo is a better way to go ie 1.8T Ibiza etc.

A 172 is a good car but tunning hp for £ more expensive that turbo.

Buying a quicker car just to keep with your mates is IMO wasted get the car you enjoy.

Whichever car you buy youll want to coilover it its much much better.